• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace question

Jackcrow73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
NE North Dakota
I recently rebarrelled my savage with a criterion barrel. I used forster go and no go Gages to set the headspace. I loaded up a few rounds with forster fl sizing die and ultra micrometer seating die. My problem is that the bolt is hard to close on some rounds. The rifle chambers fine on the go gage and doesn't chamber the no go. I have tried screwing the sizing die further into the press and that didnt work. Any ideas?

Not that I know the answer, but are you talking about a 460 Weatherby round?

Where did the brass you are using come from? was it fired in another chamber, multiple other chambers, or is it new?

Question: on the rounds that are hard to close bolt on, is there Any marks left on the bullet, in other words, are you not seating deep enough?

It is a 22-250. I'm using new Win brass that I FL sized. The bullet seating depth is fine as I checked it with an OAL gage from the ogive. I set the sizing die per Forster instructions, screwed down to shell holder.

It is a 22-250. I'm using new Win brass that I FL sized. The bullet seating depth is fine as I checked it with an OAL gage from the ogive. I set the sizing die per Forster instructions, screwed down to shell holder.

Do you get the same thing with unsized new brass?

Yeah same results with new unsized brass

New brass is almost always quite a bit short and undersized. You have another problem or an extremely small chamber, diametrically, or possibly in the neck length or diameter. Does it matter if it has a bullet seated vs. empty case? As asked before...any marks on the brass after chambering and extracting? Color a case with a magic marker and check, if you haven't.

I noticed that the criterion barrels tend to have a tight chamber. You could use a reamer to open it up a lil but I just enjoy the fact that my brass comes out with minimal stretch and isn't overworked when I reload it.

It is the same if there is a bullet seated or not. Here is a pic of the brass after clambering. You can see a small ring around the shoulder.

null_zps578b8212.jpg

Either your press is flexing and you need to screw the die in another 1/8-1/4 turn or the die is too long and you need to have them replace it or remove a few thousandths from the end so it will set the shoulder back a few thousandths more.

Joe

Do you have way to measure shoulder bump accurately? It needs to measure from the actual datum. If so, measure both the case and the headspace gauge. The brass is big or the chamber is small...one or the other. You're going to have to be able to size the brass down, and right now, you are not sizing it enough for your chamber. if that piece of brass has NOT been fired or sized, AND the go gauge/no-go gauge says it's good( assuming the headspace gauge is correct)....the chamber must be small at the shoulder/body junction. You could get the same kind of result from brass that is run into a die, but not enough to bump the shoulder back, but that's hard to imagine on virgin brass. If everything checks out, custom dies may be in your future. Small chambers require smaller dies. Good brass life is a result of proper die to chamber relationship(and good brass). I'd opt to make the chamber fit the die, particularly on a varmint rifle. Small chambers can cause just as much, or more headache as big ones. Too big, brass life suffers...Too small, and you get bolt lift problems that require expensive custom dies to address. I like to spec reamers to my dies. Not the other way around as is so very common. of course being a Savage, you might be able to address it with the barrel nut...not preferred.

Last edited:
A no-go gauge is maximum SAAMI spec.

Your brass could be within SAAMI specs and still not allow you to close the bolt because your chamber headspace is at the SAAMI minimum (go gauge).

B

A no-go gauge is maximum SAAMI spec.

Your brass could be within SAAMI specs and still not allow you to close the bolt because your chamber headspace is at the SAAMI minimum (go gauge).

B

No Sir. If his brass and chamber are within spec, the brass will go into the chamber without resistance.

I had a problem with a custom rock creek that sounded like this, it was kind of like reloading for a glock, the FL die wouldn't squeeze near the "rim" of the case.

No Sir. If his brass and chamber are within spec, the brass will go into the chamber without resistance.

Let me rephrase.
The brass could be within SAAMI specs and still chamber with resistance because the chamber headspace is at the SAAMI minimum (go gauge).

SAAMI

CARTRIDGE Min. 1.627 Max. 1.634

CHAMBER Min. 1.630 Max. 1.640

I'm not saying that this is the case with the OP but there is a possibility. I agree that the best bet would be to do as others have already suggested, take some careful measurements and regroup.

B

Well I'm pretty sure it's gtg now. I pulled the barrel off and reset the headspace. No problem chambering rounds and it doesn't close on the no go. Maybe I tightened the barrel too much onto the go gage the first time. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Let me rephrase.
The brass could be within SAAMI specs and still chamber with resistance because the chamber headspace is at the SAAMI minimum (go gauge).

SAAMI

CARTRIDGE Min. 1.627 Max. 1.634

CHAMBER Min. 1.630 Max. 1.640

I'm not saying that this is the case with the OP but there is a possibility. I agree that the best bet would be to do as others have already suggested, take some careful measurements and regroup.

B

Theoretically yes. Realistically...I've never seen it in hundreds if not thousands of barrels I've chambered and or loaded for and shot. New brass has always been smaller, sometimes quite a bit. And if what you are saying is the case here, his die should have taken care of it on the cases he sized.