• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Health question: Swelling up in the heat.

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
I don't know why my body does this but when I work or work out in the heat I swell up. My fingers get all puffy. My L. wrist actually makes my watch band tight. I have to take it off sometimes. It's normally slightly loose. I always drink plenty of water and electrolyte drinks. I can tell a difference when I don't drink electrolytes. I was shooting this summer in Boise in 103* heat and was shaking. I drank two bottles of Gatorade and the shakes went away. I had been drinking water (1/2 gal.) up to the point and it only helped to quench my thirst, but not so much the shakes. Also, very prone to edema in the shins and knees.

In all my workouts in the summer, I've never lost a pound.

This doesn't happen in the cold. I went elk hunting last year and put several miles on. I was pouring sweat at several points. I noticed when I got back to the truck though, that I didn't puff up. I did drink a couple waters and one Gatorade.

Any idea, you medics out there, why heat causes this to happen to me?

I don't know why my body does this but when I work or work out in the heat I swell up. My fingers get all puffy. My L. wrist actually makes my watch band tight. I have to take it off sometimes. It's normally slightly loose. I always drink plenty of water and electrolyte drinks. I can tell a difference when I don't drink electrolytes. I was shooting this summer in Boise in 103* heat and was shaking. I drank two bottles of Gatorade and the shakes went away. I had been drinking water (1/2 gal.) up to the point and it only helped to quench my thirst, but not so much the shakes. Also, very prone to edema in the shins and knees.

In all my workouts in the summer, I've never lost a pound.

This doesn't happen in the cold. I went elk hunting last year and put several miles on. I was pouring sweat at several points. I noticed when I got back to the truck though, that I didn't puff up. I did drink a couple waters and one Gatorade.

Any idea, you medics out there, why heat causes this to happen to me?

I'm no medic so take it for what its worth. First never ask medical conditions on the net. Go see a DR. If your concern.

With that said, there is a lot of variables about you one would need to know to make a inform guess, this is what dr. do anyway.

"As we exercise, blood flow is pushed into the heart and lungs, along with your muscles. This also mean less blood flow to your hands. As your hand is cooler your blood vessels may overreact and open wider causing the swelling."

Hand swelling during exercise: A concern? - Mayo Clinic

You do know that your body swells naturally more in the hot than the cold weather.
Your watchband will be tighter naturally during those days. Same thing with me, on cold days, watch band is slightly loose, warm days, nice and snug.

As for not losing any weight, that is your diet my friend. It is impossible to not lose weight if you are using more calories than you intake.

Moderate beer/wine drinker, somewhat overweight, but still in shape enough to move long range okay. No running due to knees. No swimming due to no pool. I don't live close enough to the lake to do much swimming. But, I can hike mountains most any day here.

Thanks for the link, JBNj.

Trebek, I know, I've got to watch the diet a lot closer. I love good food, and there's always lots of that around me.

Last edited:
Might want to keep track of your daily food intake and see how much sodium your actually taking in.