• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Aids

EddieNFL

SMSgt
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Florida
Looked at a few threads on the subject, but did not see anything relating to my questions, so for you guys using hearing aids...

My hearing is on the borderline "significantly impaired" and tinnitus seems to be my favorite music. This AM I had a thought and put in my Sound Gear Phantoms and turned on the TV. I can hear it at about half the volume I would normally select. Hey! Great, but...

1) My voice seems muffled.
2) Sound seems to lack bass.
3) Can't hear crap if chewing/drinking.

Can I expect the same with hearing aids?

Is there an advantage to behind the ear or in ear versions?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: BLEE and Maggot
Looked at a few threads on the subject, but did not see anything relating to my questions, so for you guys using hearing aids...

My hearing is on the borderline "significantly impaired" and tinnitus seems to be my favorite music. This AM I had a thought and put in my Sound Gear Phantoms and turned on the TV. I can hear it at about half the volume I would normally select. Hey! Great, but...

I just posted on on the Audien Atom. I paid $149 shipped to my door. Second day with them and I have no complains. I can hear the tv and other people speaking a lot better. It seems to tone down the tinnitus a bit. I have experience with others so I cant give comparatives, but for a buck 49 I cant complain as my neighbor just paid $2400 for a pair. I figure for that price, if they only last a year and replace them its cheap.

I have had my hearing aids for about 7 years. The majority of the time they are in my shirt pocket rather than my ears.
I wear hearing protection when I am in my shop, shooting or running my Stihl saw.
I'd like to give you some words of encouragement, but I have none. Hearing loss only get's worse.
The more rural you are located, the fewer excellent hearing doctor's are available. As you hop around from Doctor to doctor, eventually all they are doing is "test, test, test". Must be easy money in testing.
I do have friends who lost 100% of their hearing and a few found Doctor's who operated on them and somewhat improved their hearing.
Some chose the bone implant route. Expensive.... They too have all sorts of hearing issues with that method.
The mega cities do seem to have more 'top shelf" hearing doctor's...
JMHO
IMG_8483.JPG

I'm looking at what I think they called directional hearing aids. As some may know, I lost my hearing in my left ear due to Covid. Since then I get some buzzing in that ear with a dose high pitched words that I can barely hear.

Doctor said I'm a candidate for some type of hearing aid that will capture the sound on the left side and transfer it to the hearing aid in my right ear. They are making great strides in hearing aid technology. Some of this technology comes at a hefty price tag. With my hearing getting worse in my right ear, we may have to explore this technology further. Good luck to the OP, I don't have an answer to your question, but I bet a good audiologist will.

I’ve had both the “behind the ear” and ‘in the ear‘ models due to what I would call a good life. Guns, concerts, working on a flight line, construction work in my twenties and afghanistan In my thirties. The ‘in ear‘ ones are more for loss of low tones, which is not common for tinnitus and general hearing loss. Behind the ear sound quality is much better. Also the behind the ear ones batteries last longer due to size restrictions on the ‘in ear‘ sets. Most newer models are pretty high tech. Bluetooth to your phone, play music, stream from your tv direct so your wife can sleep, etc. Also, the in ear ones are typically rechargeable only versus the battery option. Lastly, proper setup for your specific hearing loss by a professional makes a world of difference versus buying a cheaper set online on your own. Recommend behind the ear, you can leave them in or take them out when using electronic muffs at the range. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, you can expect the same or similar results with hearing aids as with your current sound gear, though the results may be better. It all depends on the type of hearing loss you are dealing with, and the style of hearing aids you choose.

Behind-the-ear and in-ear hearing aids can have directional microphones which may help you identify the direction of sounds better. This can be important when out in public, and may also help you pick out conversations that are happening nearby.

Reactions: geek65
I'm looking at what I think they called directional hearing aids. As some may know, I lost my hearing in my left ear due to Covid. Since then I get some buzzing in that ear with a dose high pitched words that I can barely hear.

Doctor said I'm a candidate for some type of hearing aid that will capture the sound on the left side and transfer it to the hearing aid in my right ear. They are making great strides in hearing aid technology. Some of this technology comes at a hefty price tag. With my hearing getting worse in my right ear, we may have to explore this technology further. Good luck to the OP, I don't have an answer to your question, but I bet a good audiologist will.

My sister in law was born deaf in her left ear. She started working for an audiologist a couple of years ago. She got the type of hearing aids that you are talking about, and hers transmits sounds from the left side to her right ear. For first time in her life she could hear sounds around her from both sides.

My wife and I have appointments with her in a couple of weeks. My hearing has been bad since my early 20's. I played drums in a rock band in my teens, then worked construction for a few years. I've had tinnitus for years, but in the last 6 months it has got much worse. We will get a good discount but the equipment will still be expensive.

Reactions: BullGear
i have tinnitus but i am just dealing with it. echo-y places, lots of people talking, background noice fuck with me. outside of those things, i do ok.

dad, on the other hand, has gone years without hearing what people talking to him were talking about.

about 6 months ago, i was talking to him on the phone and he asked me to dial it back. turns out he got soe new hearing aids and the improvement is so incredible, he loves them. definitely check them out!

Since nobody answered your question. Depending on what tones and how severe the tone damage is they can adjust the hearing aide to compensate for the loss.
Dependinghow on Severe your lose is you still might not hear everything. If you miss a word or don't understand a word a conversation goes a whole different direction and then people tend to look at you like you're stupid.

To answer your question, no it will be very different then what you describe. Your own voice is heard fine, chewing is not amplified. If you need them, get them, your brain needs the correct hearing stimulation and not being able to hear or tinnitus will have long term negative affects.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
To answer your question, no it will be very different then what you describe. Your own voice is heard fine, chewing is not amplified. If you need them, get them, your brain needs the correct hearing stimulation and not being able to hear or tinnitus will have long term negative affects.

Thanks. I spent most of yesterday wearing the Phantoms. They're fine for the range, but I don't think I could constantly deal with them in other environments.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Think of the old graphic equalizers. Tests indicate what frequency you've lost so they can boost amplification where you need it.

I travel extensively for work and have found good service from Livingston Hearing. Where ever I am I can get service if needed.

Thanks to all for the input. Guess I'll schedule an audio appointment...around all the other old guy appointments.
Make sure to get a print out of any testing done as well as a copy of the doctor's notes from your visit.
Get a medium size 3 ring binder and some "page savers".
Put everything related to hearing in the binder. Prescriptions, appointment reminder cards, etc.
Time has a way of getting away and as things progress it will be handy to have all those bench mark events together and portable.
Take the binder to every appointment, that will show the medical world you are being diligent as you age.

I attended a funeral last Wed., sat near the front row and still couldn't understand what the minister was saying in the mic. Once we moved outside to the grave site I could hear better.

Chainsaw with no muffler, heavy equipment, running a gun range, shooting, riding a Harley with straight drag pipes have fried my right ear.

I've had constant tinitus in my right ear for years and bouts of vertigo as a result.

If you are a Veteran, the VA will provide hearing aids, top of the line, state of the art. The ones I am currently using, I wear all the time. Technology allows for the Technician to "tune" them, so that loud "crashy" noises (such as dishes clattering in a restaurant) or screechy noises (kids, screaming at play) are toned down. Old technology simply amplified everything, and added a LOT of what was missing (High frequencies) resulting in people not wearing them due to the strident, 'tinny" result. In practice the woman's voice you weren't hearing came back, but at a strident, high pitched screechy level, that led to instant removal. Counterproductive. That all went away, with the new technology, as long as you have them tuned right at the Audiologist's office. Don't let them just crank up the high frequencies.
I had mine tuned so that my bride's voice is a rich husky contralto, sounds from background are muted, and music (which I listen to constantly), is tuned to a T.
When fitting, and tuning the technician uses a on-screen mixing board, so I adjusted it to where I adjusted my own mix on the stereo at home. Perfection.
The new systems, have filtering for noises coming from behind, or sides, can muffle road noise on the left side (helpful when I am driving the Diesel Ram), and can filter background noise when speaking to someone directly in front of you.
I love these things, use them all the time, except when shooting, or running a chain saw.

I am fairly new to hearing aids, I can tell you that there is a difference between the "shipped to your door" and what a "real" ear Dr will setup for you. Done both.

The wife was getting sick of saying everything twice or me not hearing what she said. So we tried the "cheap" idea first. I understand the spend more time in the pocket statement.

The "ear dr" versions are different. My ears always ring, years of being around race cars and flying little airplanes will do that to you. They are about as different as a candle is to the lights at a football stadium. Both make light but that is about the end of it.

You need to talk to your ear Dr to get her to set them up. I am not good at that. In passing I told her that the car seems too loud, I really did not like it. Ok I will turn them down when the car is moving.....you can do that, yea they have motion sensors in them. Well darn.

You will be back often getting it all setup. But after you will take them out when you shower, shoot or are in the shop.

The "ringing" might or might not go away, for me it "mostly" went away. As it was explained to me, you are not really hearing the ringing, duh right. Your "ears" are hearing it to fill in for something not being quite right. There should be other noise, but your "ears" are filling it up with the tone. A little like "floaters" in your eyes, they are always there your brain will just learn to not "see" them.

Good luck. And yes they are expensive as all hell, but I do think they are worth it.

Thanks to all for the input. Guess I'll schedule an audio appointment...around all the other old guy appointments.
For a hearing test no big deal, but I've found for anything major, do a lot of research on the physician, they are not all equal.

I had double cataract surgery a few years ago and got an excellent dr. who only did those surgeries, and about 10 per week. Came out with 20/15 and 20/18. My neighbor on the other hand went with his good ole boy and ended up blind in one eye and spotty vision in the other.

Do your research.

If you are a Veteran, the VA will provide hearing aids, top of the line, state of the art. The ones I am currently using, I wear all the time. Technology allows for the Technician to "tune" them, so that loud "crashy" noises (such as dishes clattering in a restaurant) or screechy noises (kids, screaming at play) are toned down. Old technology simply amplified everything, and added a LOT of what was missing (High frequencies) resulting in people not wearing them due to the strident, 'tinny" result. In practice the woman's voice you weren't hearing came back, but at a strident, high pitched screechy level, that led to instant removal. Counterproductive. That all went away, with the new technology, as long as you have them tuned right at the Audiologist's office. Don't let them just crank up the high frequencies.
I had mine tuned so that my bride's voice is a rich husky contralto, sounds from background are muted, and music (which I listen to constantly), is tuned to a T.
When fitting, and tuning the technician uses a on-screen mixing board, so I adjusted it to where I adjusted my own mix on the stereo at home. Perfection.
The new systems, have filtering for noises coming from behind, or sides, can muffle road noise on the left side (helpful when I am driving the Diesel Ram), and can filter background noise when speaking to someone directly in front of you.
I love these things, use them all the time, except when shooting, or running a chain saw.
Wow, great info on the hearing test and tuning the aid., thanks, youre spot on. My cheap ones work but seem to amplify the highs. May have to save up for a better pair unless medicare will foot the bill.

On a separate note, if your audio system needs and equalizer, you need to work on your system, or room (which is the first component in a system). Teasing, but its true. It would be nice to hear music well again.

Don’t go to my aunt’s dr, she is 82 y old and at the poverty level, went 2 weeks ago and he prescribed a hearing aid and when she picked it up last week she learned it cost the taxpayers $5,800!!!!
🤬

If not a Vet/VA, check into your state's L&I. A buddy of mine just did that. Cadillac product at zero cost to him.

Otherwise, Costco treated me real well. It was 4 years ago and I bought Phonaks. Costco's warranty was great. I dropped one and it got run over. Second time, one just quit working. Both replaced for free. Phonak and Costco had a falling out and Costco doesn't carry them anymore. No great loss, I'd look real hard at the other brands that Costco carries, I wouldn't follow Phonak. Not unhappy with them, just not enthralled with them. The Phonak iPhone App sucks big time.

For my next set, they will again be behind the ear and replaceable battery powered. Whatever I get, they will be streaming capable. My Phonaks don't stream, but I can get calls from my iPhone on them. If the audio response spectrum is adjustable by the user (me) on the new ones, that's a big bonus too.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
If not a Vet/VA, check into your state's L&I. A buddy of mine just did that. Cadillac product at zero cost to him.

Otherwise, Costco treated me real well. It was 4 years ago and I bought Phonaks. Costco's warranty was great. I dropped one and it got run over. Second time, one just quit working. Both replaced for free. Phonak and Costco had a falling out and Costco doesn't carry them anymore. No great loss, I'd look real hard at the other brands that Costco carries, I wouldn't follow Phonak. Not unhappy with them, just not enthralled with them. The Phonak iPhone App sucks big time.

For my next set, they will again be behind the ear and replaceable battery powered. Whatever I get, they will be streaming capable. My Phonaks don't stream, but I can get calls from my iPhone on them. If the audio response spectrum is adjustable by the user (me) on the new ones, that's a big bonus too.

I've never used the VA. What is "L&I?"

Reactions: Threadcutter308

My dad is legally deaf in right ear and nearly there in left. His audiologist put him into Phonak hearing aids about 5 years ago and it's changed his life. It was so tough to see dad kind of retreat into his own world b/c he couldn't hear anything well enough. Once we got him an iPhone he could suddenly talk again and when he shunned phone calls now couldn't get him off the phone! So great. And he has a box that lets him listen to tv through his buds at his volume so mom can listen at her volume....THAT was a stress reliever for them. Then he discovered Amazon Music and can now enjoy one of his favorite things in the world again....music. Goes on walks listening to his tunes, works out same way....such an amazing thing for dad just thrilled.

Hope you can find a solution that works for you.

I've never used the VA. What is "L&I?"
"Labor and Industries", your state agency. As in, "L&I Claim", which would typically be for an on the job injury. And, now that I think about it, a claim for hearing aids (due to hearing loss while on the job) would be an L&I claim. You do have to be able to show that you suffered hearing loss because of loud noises, power tools, etc. while on the job. My buddy said that was easy and the bar was set pretty low.

But, I don't want to distract you from going the VA route, if you are eligible. I just mentioned L&I as another option because my buddy that just went through it and was quite happy.

"Labor and Industries", your state agency. As in, "L&I Claim", which would typically be for an on the job injury. And, now that I think about it, a claim for hearing aids (due to hearing loss while on the job) would be an L&I claim.

But, I don't want to distract you from going the VA route, if you are eligible. I just mentioned L&I as another option because a buddy just went through it and was quite happy.

Just pulled up the VA form, but not getting my hopes up. Have an appointment with a civilian audiologist next week.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I am fairly new to hearing aids, I can tell you that there is a difference between the "shipped to your door" and what a "real" ear Dr will setup for you. Done both.

The wife was getting sick of saying everything twice or me not hearing what she said. So we tried the "cheap" idea first. I understand the spend more time in the pocket statement.

The "ear dr" versions are different. My ears always ring, years of being around race cars and flying little airplanes will do that to you. They are about as different as a candle is to the lights at a football stadium. Both make light but that is about the end of it.

You need to talk to your ear Dr to get her to set them up. I am not good at that. In passing I told her that the car seems too loud, I really did not like it. Ok I will turn them down when the car is moving.....you can do that, yea they have motion sensors in them. Well darn.

You will be back often getting it all setup. But after you will take them out when you shower, shoot or are in the shop.

The "ringing" might or might not go away, for me it "mostly" went away. As it was explained to me, you are not really hearing the ringing, duh right. Your "ears" are hearing it to fill in for something not being quite right. There should be other noise, but your "ears" are filling it up with the tone. A little like "floaters" in your eyes, they are always there your brain will just learn to not "see" them.

Good luck. And yes they are expensive as all hell, but I do think they are worth it.
Do you know if Medicare will pay for them?
Don’t go to my aunt’s dr, she is 82 y old and at the poverty level, went 2 weeks ago and he prescribed a hearing aid and when she picked it up last week she learned it cost the taxpayers $5,800!!!!
🤬
And the Dr. got a $580 kickback.

Just pulled up the VA form, but not getting my hopes up. Have an appointment with a civilian audiologist next week.
Yeah, shop around though. If you have to do it out of pocket, it's going to be expensive. It's kind of ridiculous, they don't give those things away :eek:

Based on this thread, I'd go VA first, L&I second and Costco third, each depending on eligibility. An independant Audiologist is going to be spendy. And, Costco has put together first class hearing centers with all the latest equipment. They're solid.

Oh, and as far as "not getting your hopes up".......if you're referring to the improvement that hearing aids will make, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

I have been using behind the ear, rechargeable units from Livingston, in NM medicare won't pay for them. My hearing loss is significant. The tinnitus is much relieved when I am wearing them. Mine cost $7500 range for the 2 of them and so far I have been back to Livingston 4 or 5 times with no extra charge other than for wax filters. They will take time to get used to. I still wear electronic muffs when I shoot or hunt as they do not block noise. I only take them out if I take a laydown nap. I can now hear in meetings if I turn them up. The main complaint is the noises like someone wadding paper or clicking a pen over and over again. They take time to get used to. Livingston has a 45 day return agreement. The cost on mine also includes a replacement insurance. They have improved my life.

I have several friends with VA coverage, their frustration is the long wait period, takes several months

Yeah. I've talked to a number of guys over the years using the VA. One reason I've never bothered. Other is so many guys need it far worse than me.

🤬

So better for your 82yr old aunt to not hear? Do you think you would pocket that money back if she did not get them.

Don't quite understand that.

Yeah. I've talked to a number of guys over the years using the VA. One reason I've never bothered. Other is so many guys need it far worse than me.

Guy here was in the Navy and got them, he said it was smooth and fast. Send him all the consumables for nothing.....or I guess I should say more tax $$$ of others.

Do you know if Medicare will pay for them?

And the Dr. got a $580 kickback.
I don't know about medicare. I kept trying to get the father in law to get them but he flat refuses.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I would try to do them from the VA if it is an option, I did not likely for the "pain in the ass" it would be. But mine eat batteries at the tune of about two per week. And some people have issues with rechargeable versions so I am told. There are also other things that need replacing from time to time, the little cup that holds it in your ear, and mine have this little white thing that keeps the ear was out of the internals.

Going through the same thing (lost my right ear hearing due to a skull base tumor being removed, which killed the nerve). They're referred to as CROS (Contralateral Routing Of Signal) hearing aids. I have a buddy that has them (lost his right ear hearing as well), and he told me about them. He says they were complete life changers. You still can't locate sound accurately, but he says that after awhile you key off the lower volume/delay to trigger you turning towards the side with hearing loss. It also helps with crowded/noise environments, where with only one working ear, it becomes difficult to filter out background noise. I'm going in next week for the initial tests, and then at the end of the month for the fitting. We'll see how it goes...

Do yourself a favor and go to Costco. They have a certified audiologist on staff and do the hearing tests for free and it is a good one. They will set them up from the results of your test and then you go back in and wear them for a bit and audiologist will fine tune them to your wants and needs.
I have been wearing aids for about 7 years and they are simply amazing. Advancements are incredible now to what they used to be.
If you have any issues call them make a free appointment and they will adjust, clean, or repair as needed.
I lost a pair, went back in and they replaced free.
They have a 6 month no questions asked return policy from the manufacture and Costco matches that so one year money back guarantee.
Mine have directional, music streaming, tv streaming, wind noise adjustments and settings.
Also they are rechargeable no worries about swapping batteries every 3 to 5 days.
Just stick them in the charger at night and they are good for about 30 hours.
Most expensive set with ALL the options was 3750.00 out the door but several styles are cheaper.
Only issue is not being able to "tune" out the little woman.

I have had no issues with the recharging on the oticon aids, you will need to replace the wax filter and silicone domes regularly on any of them.

How long ago did you get yours? I got mine right before Covid, and was told there are issues with interference.

I have some really good hearing aids - somewhere. Got them through insurance, fitted, tuned, etc. Work great except - as i often heard with hearing aids - I hear everything thing in a crowded restaurant except the people sitting next to me. Tried for a few weeks and quit. Went back to being "deaf".

I go in tomorrow for an exam. I already know I need hearing aids but I’ve been reluctant to get them. It’s time to do something, I have to watch TV with the closed caption on and I think my wife and I have miss understanding because I take her words out of context because of my lack of hearing. I should have protected my hearing but it’s too late. I’ll post updates.