• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Aids

I have some really good hearing aids - somewhere. Got them through insurance, fitted, tuned, etc. Work great except - as i often heard with hearing aids - I hear everything thing in a crowded restaurant except the people sitting next to me. Tried for a few weeks and quit. Went back to being "deaf".
Thats funny. I heard about a guy who had cataract surgery and the day after when they took toe patch off he wanted his old eyes back because now he could see how filthy his house was.

Reactions: Lightning8
Will be curious to see if I am the only one that has hearing aids then put them away. I actually like reading the TV verbiage because so many actors mumble I have to turn it up for wife anyway.

Reactions: Conaso
I have some really good hearing aids - somewhere. Got them through insurance, fitted, tuned, etc. Work great except - as i often heard with hearing aids - I hear everything thing in a crowded restaurant except the people sitting next to me. Tried for a few weeks and quit. Went back to being "deaf".

Tell your Dr about that, mine could be adjusted for that, and she did. Made a HUGE difference.

Now the only time I really notice things is music. It just does not sound "right". I have no doubt I am hearing it "better" but it just seems wrong, too many highs.

But yea your Dr can adjust them. Now several years out I go in every 6 months for a "checkup" they will do a good cleaning and ask if anything needs changing.

Don't understimate what they can do, I was blown away they could adjust for a car in motion.

Will be curious to see if I am the only one that has hearing aids then put them away. I actually like reading the TV verbiage because so many actors mumble I have to turn it up for wife anyway.

I generally like "foreign" movies better then the hollyweard stuff anyway. So using CC was not new to me.

Checkout Generation Kill, it is german and basically what Generation War was stolen off of. The german version was about WWII, and is quite good.

They are nowhere near a fix, they are just a tool to help, you will be frustrated with them and want to quit, be assured that continued use, communication with the dr and patience will help speed the process. You will hear what sounds like chaos with all the extra noise you have been missing. I have learned that I can change the volume up or down to suit me. Give your brain time to learn to process all the noise. I put them in to drown out the tinnitus with a white noise that isn't so obnoxious.

I go in tomorrow for an exam. I already know I need hearing aids but I’ve been reluctant to get them. It’s time to do something, I have to watch TV with the closed caption on and I think my wife and I have miss understanding because I take her words out of context because of my lack of hearing. I should have protected my hearing but it’s too late. I’ll post updates.
Thats pretty much my situation. People that speak in certain octaves I cant hear, especially out of my right ear. I'm not to vain to cup my hand to my left ear and ask What?

Reactions: BullGear
Thats pretty much my situation. People that speak in certain octaves I cant hear, especially out of my right ear. I'm not to vain to cup my hand to my left ear and ask What?

I do the same thing. Never was one to worry about vain ideals.

Do any of the legit hearing aides cut out loud noises like the electronic ear pro? Seems like a good two birds/one stone idea if it is available

Do any of the legit hearing aides cut out loud noises like the electronic ear pro? Seems like a good two birds/one stone idea if it is available
NO! Hearing aids are NOT ear protection

As said previous, they amplify EVERYTHING. I have to have them for meetings. I can still turn my wife off when needed.

Anyone have experience with Starkey hearing aids? According to their website they are the only American hearing aid company and cater to veterans.

They make the Sound Gear hearing protection I use.

Just had a hearing test done, and as expect have big loss in my mid and high freq hearing. The doc said that there is a big convention in Minnesota the end of this month and that aparently there has beensome sort of break through which they will learn about. May be significant price reduction for the first persons to get the new tech. Ya'll might want to chat with your hearing doc. about that. Prices arent as bad as I had heard.

Reactions: EddieNFL
Just had a hearing test done, and as expect have big loss in my mid and high freq hearing. The doc said that there is a big convention in Minnesota the end of this month and that aparently there has beensome sort of break through which they will learn about. May be significant price reduction for the first persons to get the new tech. Ya'll might want to chat with your hearing doc. about that. Prices arent as bad as I had heard.

Interesting. Starkey is located in MN.

Reactions: Maggot
So...pulled out my DD214 and called the VA to enroll. I know this will shock most, but they could not find it in their records. So it begins.

Reactions: SWgeezer
So...pulled out my DD214 and called the VA to enroll. I know this will shock most, but they could not find it in their records. So it begins.
this might be the perfect opportunity to get entered into the system, it can takes months based on what others tell me. Once you are in then it is much better to get benefits quicker. Considering the expected life of the aids, I would insist on proven name brands. I think everyone caters to Vets if their is big money involved.