• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection for indoors and outdoors?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
I shoot mostly outdoors and tend to double up if someone is shooting a braked rifle next to me with Howard Leight Sport and the foam plugs, never had an issue. However, a buddy of mine and I went to an indoor range and for some reason both our ears are ringing after 1hr with all lanes full in the handgun range. So we're looking for new sets since we both ran the same setup. Apparently my buddy's head is small and the Impact sports didn't seal well unlike the range sets. He's newer to this than I am.

Right now we're considering the Impact Pros, Peltor tactical 300, and whatever the range used, I think walkers were what they had, but waiting to verify. Here's the issue, I mostly shoot outdoors with rifles while my buddy is just getting into handguns but will be shooting outdoors more often. My concern is larger 30NRR headsets will cause an issue and for me the Sordin Supreme Basic with gel seem like a better choice, but not sure how well they'd do indoors if that makes sense.

Whether indoors or out, I always double up.

I use the new SWATCOM (updated Sordins) headset and custom moulded in ear plugs. The headset was about $350 and the plugs were about $300. You can sit right next to a braked 50 cal and it is like nothing.

Although it is a bit pricey sounding, take it from me that tinnitus sucks. If you shoot a rifle, the repeated blast and concussion will eventually give you the gift that keeps on giving.

I wish that I had done this 20 years ago

Whether indoors or out, I always double up.

I use the new SWATCOM (updated Sordins) headset and custom moulded in ear plugs. The headset was about $350 and the plugs were about $300. You can sit right next to a braked 50 cal and it is like nothing.

Although it is a bit pricey sounding, take it from me that tinnitus sucks. If you shoot a rifle, the repeated blast and concussion will eventually give you the gift that keeps on giving.

I wish that I had done this 20 years ago
yeah looking at this model right now. Pricey, but less expensive than hearing aids and tinnitus. Where did you get the custom moulded plugs from?

In ear is inherently better than over the ear. I use the Otto Noizebarrier in ear electronic. The benefit to electronic is that you get maximum protection but can still have a conversation or hear subtle noises like twigs breaking while hunting for example. If more protection is needed, you can add over the ear static muffs and still hear a conversation and most electronic in ear has some sort of volume control. The Otto's have two levels. Regular and enhanced. Actually three, off. You can elect to reverse the order and use electronic over the ear and add foam in ear when needed. I prefer in ear for cheek weld. The Otto in ear also accept most foam type ear plugs, so you can use the ones you prefer.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
As a cheaper alternative, you can get gel cups for the Howard Leights. I got some a few years ago and they definitely have better seals and are way more comfortable
Thinking about that too or just opting for whatever the range uses for indoor use and then keeping what I have now for outdoor. Mainly I shoot outdoors more often and only shoot indoors when testing different loads at 100yards. Personally feel a bit bad for recommending my friend these, but would have liked him to tell me they didn't fit well before we went in the range.

yeah looking at this model right now. Pricey, but less expensive than hearing aids and tinnitus. Where did you get the custom moulded plugs from?
The company that makes the in-ear plugs is called 1of1 Custom Earplugs. The model is the Impulse and it costs $185. I went to an audiologist who made the impressions per their instruction sheet. That was $100. You take the impressions and send them to this company. Make sure that the audiologist reads the instruction carefully as the company wants impressions that go deep into the ear canal. My audiologist took two tries.

In about 4 weeks, you get these custom fitting plugs that are comfortable and work super well. The amplified headset provides a further suppression of the blast and helps you hear normal conversation.

Tinnitus can't be cured at any price. I have a mild case...I know some that don't.

So I'm seeing recommendations for gel cups and also found people recommending the tougher in ear orange 3M foam plugs as well. I'm in between health insurance companies atm, so may opt for what's recommended here:
Gel cups for HL
Orange foam plugs (the harder foamed 3M ones)
And then just order a pair the local range uses for indoor

At least until my health insurance is squared away and I can get the custom foamed ones. Seems like the over ears I have for the time being are good enough hearing protection wise, the issue seems that the in ears were compromised somehow and/or didn't use the correct ones for an indoor environment.

In ear is inherently better than over the ear. I use the Otto Noizebarrier in ear electronic. The benefit to electronic is that you get maximum protection but can still have a conversation or hear subtle noises like twigs breaking while hunting for example. If more protection is needed, you can add over the ear static muffs and still hear a conversation and most electronic in ear has some sort of volume control. The Otto's have two levels. Regular and enhanced. Actually three, off. You can elect to reverse the order and use electronic over the ear and add foam in ear when needed. I prefer in ear for cheek weld. The Otto in ear also accept most foam type ear plugs, so you can use the ones you prefer.
The Otto Noizebarriers are amazing. I also have the Sordin muffs and frankly prefer the Otto in-ear units more. If I'm at a really loud indoor range, I'll always double up with Sordins and foamies. I've not tried the Ottos and Sordins at the same time though but I imagine they would work well together. Btw, I have switched the foam tips on the Ottos to the Comply foam tips...much better than the stock ones that come with the Ottos. I bought the Comply tips on Amazon.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
My ears ring loudly 24 / 7 for over 40 years. It's always there .

Get the best you can, double bag relentlessly or be miserable.

Reactions: stefan73 and Nik H
As sound waves can still travel through the exposed ear, it definitely is best to wear good ear muffs as well as plugs. The cups should be sealing all the way around the ear. The 3m and other brand gel cups help with this. Obviously, silencers are also a good idea, but you can't really control other people.

Indoor ranges are awful for reflecting noise and I'm sure if I did a noise assessment most people's PPE would not be considered adequate.

Pho q that shit works great when you buy everyone a suppressor.

So I'm seeing recommendations for gel cups and also found people recommending the tougher in ear orange 3M foam plugs as well. I'm in between health insurance companies atm, so may opt for what's recommended here:
Gel cups for HL
Orange foam plugs (the harder foamed 3M ones)
And then just order a pair the local range uses for indoor

At least until my health insurance is squared away and I can get the custom foamed ones. Seems like the over ears I have for the time being are good enough hearing protection wise, the issue seems that the in ears were compromised somehow and/or didn't use the correct ones for an indoor environment.
Foam plus muffs are better than just foam or just muffs.

The key is to double up the best you can

Reactions: kthomas
I haven't shot indoors in a long time, but unless shooting suppressed with no one around, I always double up. Foam ear plugs + Sordin Supreme X's with gel cups.

If I'm alone outdoors, then I'm shooting suppressed with only muffs.

I also wear some Swatcoms doubled up with some surefire EP10s with comply foam. Once the foam expands, its all good to go. I shoot indoors 50% of the time and its loud AF. You are right about hearing aids...you don't want to go there...big big bucks and senior citizens lose them left and right. I also have an uncle who got an electronic device implanted in his head by the VA for hearing....don't want go there either. I was gonna get some new Sordins after one of Gavin Newsom's catch and release criminals here in California stole mine along with a spotting scope from my trunk, but the same vendor had Swatcoms, so I thought I'd give them a try. They are very comfortable with the Gel ear pieces, just like any other gel equipped ear pro.

My only word of warning with custom molded plugs is that if you go that route, go spend the money to have them made by a reputable source and fit checked. I have personally seen that some of the DIY and even "expert" made plugs provide improper seals (thus poor sound reduction) after swelling or contracting of the ear around the plug occurs. Due to this, it is hard to produce actual sound reduction ratings and info on custom plugs with all the variance in fit and material compared to foam or other plugs, which are are relatively consistent in performance across individuals. Comfort does not necessarily mean that a piece of PPE is doing a good job.

Don't even get me started on the "I shoot full-power rifle ammo with my can and it is 1000% hearing safe" people on here. Although, if I could exert my meager health authority to get everyone a free can I would, but alas.

If you're up for some reading you can enjoy this write up on the subject.

My only word of warning with custom molded plugs is that if you go that route, go spend the money to have them made by a reputable source and fit checked. I have personally seen that some of the DIY and even "expert" made plugs provide improper seals (thus poor sound reduction) after swelling or contracting of the ear around the plug occurs. Due to this, it is hard to produce actual sound reduction ratings and info on custom plugs with all the variance in fit and material compared to foam or other plugs, which are are relatively consistent in performance across individuals. Comfort does not necessarily mean that a piece of PPE is doing a good job.

Don't even get me started on the "I shoot full-power rifle ammo with my can and it is 1000% hearing safe" people on here. Although, if I could exert my meager health authority to get everyone a free can I would, but alas.

If you're up for some reading you can enjoy this write up on the subject.
I'll echo this

It took the audiologist 2 times to get enough of the goop in my ear canal to produce the right impression. The company that made the plugs from the impressions did a great job. They fit super well and are incredibly comfortable and effective. In fact, they can be worn solo due to their superior cancelation of noise. I wear them solo when shooting smaller caliber rimfire or pistol. The only drawback is it is hard to hear voices when wearing them solo. The SWATCOM headset amplifies voice and provides an added measure of protection from the blast of the rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
Yup.

Custom moulded plugs and amplified muffs so you can here commands / spotter.

I highly recommend the Peltor Tactical 500's with the 3m gel cups. Very comfortable and great protection, with a pretty high quality hear-through system. When you eventually break the headband you can replace it with any 3m Peltor series headband. I grabbed the behind-the-head style mount off one of my industrial Peltor sets I use for welding.

If you're shooting indoors, or lots of braked shooting, I'd add in a set of surefire ear plugs.