• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heavy Bullets in 22-250

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Mulling over a build in 22-250. I am wanting to know what twist to spec. I am wanting to shoot the 80+ grain bullets. Also, how heavy of a bullet can be used efficiently in a 250? In other words, when do I get such a heavy bullet that the powder capacity is too light to push it?

I am wanting to keep the barrel length at 20". What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks,

david

Re: Heavy Bullets in 22-250

You will probably need a 7 twist, but check with the barrel maker.
If this is a standard short action, you will have some room to seat the bullets out as the case is almost 3mm shorter than the .308.
You'll need to talk to whomever is chambering your barrel if you intend on taking advantage of the extra length.

I dont think you will ever have a problem with too much bullet for a 22-250, I have also thought about building one also.

There is some good reading on this over at 6mmbr.com. In a nut shell the 22-250 and heavy bullets belong in a long barrel to take advantage of the powder capacity. You need slower powder to push the heavies and a short barrel negates the abilities of the combination.

22-250, 1-9 twist + 75gr Amax in a 26" tube = harmony

Your looking at a custom barrel for that critter, most barrel for 22-250 are 1:12' I woul.d love to see one in 1:7, I dare say that's a 1000 yard gun. I would love to know where it would drop below super sonic, gotta be out past 1100 yards.

I have a 1/8 twist 27 inch custom 22-250. Believe it or not I have shot it out to 2000 yards with Sierra 80 grainers into a 5 gallon drum.I have hit prairie dogs past 1300 yards with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a 1/8 twist 27 inch custom 22-250. Believe it or not I have shot it out to 2000 yards with Sierra 80 grainers into a 5 gallon drum.I have hit prairie dogs past 1300 yards with it. </div></div>

+1 on this info. Seen the rifle, Jimmy's got this thing dialed in!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Believe it or not I have shot it out to 2000 yards with Sierra 80 grainers into a 5 gallon drum.I have hit prairie dogs past 1300 yards with it. </div></div>

o_O

Holy crap

I debated on this very subject about a year ago and got some great advice on 6mmbr. 1:9 twist sounded like the ticket up to 80 gr A-max bullets which reduced the likelihood of lighter bullet coming apart if used in the gun if I remember correctly what I read over there.

For the 75 grain A-Max Krieger recommends a 1in8 twist. IF the barrel must be kept to 20" then the 75 will probably be the largest bullet you can keep above 3000-3100 fps. I get 3350 from a 28" barrel with that bullet. With the 80 or grain pill you will probably be at or just below 3,000 fps.

If you want more velocity then you will need to rethink your barrel length.

You can go to an AI for about 100 to 150 fps more in that barrel. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your looking at a custom barrel for that critter, most barrel for 22-250 are 1:12' I woul.d love to see one in 1:7, I dare say that's a 1000 yard gun. I would love to know where it would drop below super sonic, gotta be out past 1100 yards. </div></div>

I dare say that my last 22-250 was an 1-8" critter and it was a fuckin hammer. Moly'd 75gr amax's at 3350 are no joke.

I am working on the same project. Right now my .223 26inch will send them at 3150 without pressure, but most accurate at 2950. Maybe ackley .223 would be best compromise and allow for shorter barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working on the same project. Right now my .223 26inch will send them at 3150 without pressure, but most accurate at 2950. Maybe ackley .223 would be best compromise and allow for shorter barrel? </div></div>

Reloading is a dangerous thing to do. So you must be careful. I do not like calling things out on the net. But I am calling this one out. If you are getting 3150 fps with an 80 grain bullet in a 223 then you either have a broken chrono, or you are shooting a very very very dangerous load. Please be careful what you state on the net, someone may try it. Please accept my apology, but I am throwing up the flag on this one. I have to run a 22-250 hot to get 3350 in a 28" barrel. Your 223 is not getting within 200 fps with a shorter barrel.

I would imagine that a high pressure 80 grain load in the 223 could attain a velocity of 2800 fps, 2900(I doubt that)?? But that is pushing it. And the OP is talking about 80 grain bullets. Sorry, Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working on the same project. Right now my .223 26inch will send them at 3150 without pressure, but most accurate at 2950. Maybe ackley .223 would be best compromise and allow for shorter barrel? </div></div>

Reloading is a dangerous thing to do. So you must be careful. I do not like calling things out on the net. But I am calling this one out. If you are getting 3150 fps with an 80 grain bullet in a 223 then you either have a broken chrono, or you are shooting a very very very dangerous load. Please be careful what you state on the net, someone may try it. Please accept my apology, but I am throwing up the flag on this one. I have to run a 22-250 hot to get 3350 in a 28" barrel. Your 223 is not getting within 200 fps with a shorter barrel.

I would imagine that a high pressure 80 grain load in the 223 could attain a velocity of 2800 fps, 2900(I doubt that)?? But that is pushing it. And the OP is talking about 80 grain bullets. Sorry, Tom. </div></div>

I agree. With a 28" bbl, 223 AI and a 75 gr A-max I can barely hit 3100 fps and it's pretty hard on the brass at that pressure.

Here's my take on the .22-250.

Most accurate caliber I ever owned, and I no longer own one.

I wanted to make an LR match gun on the chambering and it had all of the advantages, and one big disadvantage. It generated way too much barrel heat.

So much so that it taught me things about thermal transmission, things which made me conclude that no modern barrel could dissipate the heat fast enough to permit sustained fire of the volume and cadence that match strings imposed on the system.

Would I do it again?

Yes; but I'd do it differently now.

These days, Lothar-Walther offers a specialty barrel they refer to as an Ultra-Lightweight Barrel. This barrel has a unique construction that allows it to shed heat to a degree that I believe it could resolve the barrel heating issue the .22-250 imposes. However, my undersrtanding is that these barrels run in the $700 price range.

I would order it with a 1:9" twist, and maybe go for a longer length. I like 28". Not sure if I could get those specs in this barrel.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midgetorama</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working on the same project. Right now my .223 26inch will send them at 3150 without pressure, but most accurate at 2950. Maybe ackley .223 would be best compromise and allow for shorter barrel? </div></div>

I would imagine that a high pressure 80 grain load in the 223 could attain a velocity of 2800 fps, 2900(I doubt that)?? But that is pushing it. And the OP is talking about 80 grain bullets. Sorry, Tom. </div></div>

I agree. With a 28" bbl, 223 AI and a 75 gr A-max I can barely hit 3100 fps and it's pretty hard on the brass at that pressure. </div></div>

First, its 75 grain, not 80 that I was referring to. Second, unless my chrony is lying, I have pushed them to 3150 with no pressure or sticky bolt. This is shooting with other guys @ a 850 yard range. I settled on 2950 because of group size. I am at 6 loads on the same brass using a forster bushing die. I have trimmed once. Beyond that, I'm not even at book maximum with this load. No BS, my friend, and about 500 rounds downrange with nothing but smiles.

PS: No offense taken and no apology needed- I know what works for me and safe reloading practices should not be taken lightly. Not all guns perform the same and it shouldn't be assumed that what works for one will work for another.