• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Helmets! Helmets everywhere! Which is best for NODs?

If there’s one place where PGD dropped the ball, this is it. What use is a non-spec rail? Just for show?

Bad form. Love the helmet, padding and retention system. Don’t understand the rail debacle at all.

Reactions: WALLYBOB
Maybe they got their hand smacked. That's why they removed the TW shroud and ARC rail?

No idea if arc rails have licensing or something.

Reactions: TheHorta
The PGD rail will NOT accept the AMP rail arms without modification.
vader_NOOOO.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
On the hunt for a legit ARC rail replacement for the PGD helmet. I have a few sets of OC AMPs with mounts. The PGD rail will NOT accept the AMP rail arms without modification. I’m sure I could start hacking away at the rail, because it doesn’t look too far off from working, but I’d rather have an organic solution.
One reviewer stated he was able to fix the issue with a bit of sanding on the rail.

If there’s one place where PGD dropped the ball, this is it. What use is a non-spec rail? Just for show?

Bad form. Love the helmet, padding and retention system. Don’t understand the rail debacle at all.
Yeah seems pretty shitty.

Would it be possible for you to take a look at the PGD helmet next to your OpsCore and see if the rail holes match up? Not sure since they switched to knockoff rails if the drilled holes would align with real arc rails.

Appreciate the info you're sharing!

I used my HHV while I was OC'ing at JRTC. Worked well enough that I have no complaints. Ran a counter balance for when I was running my work 14's which helped a lot when bouncing around in an old HMMWV through the woods at a brisk speed ;)

Reactions: Eliteuas
I like the HHV. It’s the heaviest of all helmets out there, and it’s made in China, but with the 4D pads it is quite comfortable — and the ARC rails are legit and work perfectly.

As a helmet, the PGD is definitely better, but the bogus ARC rails knock it down a peg.

Ironically, The ARC rails from the HHV fit the PGD helmet. :p

I like the HHV. It’s the heaviest of all helmets out there, and it’s made in China, but with the 4D pads it is quite comfortable — and the ARC rails are legit and work perfectly.

As a helmet, the PGD is definitely better, but the bogus ARC rails knock it down a peg.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
I have an HHV, and the PDG seems nice, and, the ARC rails would swap over.

Order placed, you're a bad influence 😁

I can't find HHV arc rails for sale on their site. Guess it's off to True Value for a file..... tally ho!

The Legacy FAST is sub $400 now...

Anyone with experience on this helmet?

Doesnt seem to have as good suspension.

Any idea where made?

Hoplite loaded gets to $600 when in the cart.....

Looks good unless it Chinatastic.

Last edited:
You guys are a really bad influence, I'm spending way too much time on bulletproofzone.

.......must resist.....

The Legacy FAST is sub $400 now...

Anyone with experience on this helmet?

Doesnt seem to have as good suspension.

Any idea where made?

Hoplite loaded gets to $600 when in the cart.....

Looks good unless it Chinatastic.

I have a Legacy FAST in Black. I did not like the padding or retention system. 4D pads took care of that. ARC rails are perfect, fit all ARC accessories. Shroud is great and locks up tight.

Will get photos shortly.

Reactions: Jim Out
Anyone have any useful coupon codes for Bullet proof zone?

I have a Legacy FAST in Black. I did not like the padding or retention system. 4D pads took care of that. ARC rails are perfect, fit all ARC accessories. Shroud is great and locks up tight.

Will get photos shortly.

Thank you. Appreciate the guidance.

Im not NV capable, only wishing to leave the ranks of the poors and become so.

My main desire is to keep things from passing through my skull and hold a set of hearing protection muffs, likely Peltors.

If my brain is worth the money maybe I should go with the Hoplite, looks like the retention is an upgrade and at $603 my brain may be worth it.

Where these things are made interests me.....I dont trust my brain to chineseium.

Anyone have any useful coupon codes for Bullet proof zone?

When you put shit in your cart they have been hitting a coupon code....I think it is Stocking15.

Put a legacy helmet in your cart than hit checkout you will see the code and its effect.

Reactions: Jim Out
I have to believe the Legacy FAST is at least made in Chynah. I’ve been told they’re using the same shell MFG as HHV, so made in Coronaville with “US sourced materials.”

Hard to know for sure. But if truly independent tests rate the ballistic performance highly, then that’s the big nut. The fact that some dude with Corona Boogers on his fingers built it is secondary, in my book.

I’m not sure if the Legacy FAST uses the same Gen 2 HHV shell design or if it’s G1.

Also, the HHV and FAST are well over 3lbs with pads and retention installed.

MTek Flux is still the Frank Sinatra of brain buckets. Everyone else is playing for a participation trophy.

Reactions: pmclaine
When you put shit in your cart they have been hitting a coupon code....I think it is Stocking15.

Put a legacy helmet in your cart than hit checkout you will see the code and its effect.

I see it now, need to go to checkout — makes the PGD helmet $352.75

I researched a little bit the Legacy and Hoplite.

Legacy seems to come from a retailer type place, doesnt look as though they manufacture their own stuff.

The suspension lacks a nape wheel to adjust fit.

Guessing the rails will be in spec, seems the nvg mount is a Wilcox mount.

Hoplite claims their PLATES are made in USA by Leading Technology Composites which brought me to what appears to be a US defense contractor.

Dont see anything about hats on their site.

Suspension is similar to the Dane hat.

Couldnt they have used coyote webbing rather than black on the coyote hats?

At just over $600 Hoplite intriques me.......If I knew they were made in USA.

That was my quick Google look

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapper314
Aside from the ARC rails, I’d go with PGD or HHV over Legacy FAST. Both are better helmets out of the box. Gen 2 HHV ships with MLok rails, not ARC, which seems to be getting more common — like with MTek, etc.

Legacy FAST are ***NOT*** old Ops Core FAST. Legacy is the name of the company, and has nothing to do with Ops Core. So if you think you’re getting a OC helmet when you buy the Legacy, you’re not — to my understanding. It’s possible they licensed the helmet design from OC, since they include a legit ARC-compliant rail, but that’s where it ends.

Also, I’d say the HHV pads are very similar to the PGD pad system. They’re just about as comfortable. The PGD BOA is a little better, in my subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Aside from the ARC rails, I’d go with PGD or HHV over Legacy FAST. Both are better helmets out of the box. Gen 2 HHV ships with MLok rails, not ARC, which seems to be getting more common — like with MTek, etc.

Legacy FAST are ***NOT*** old Ops Core FAST. Legacy is the name of the company, and has nothing to do with Ops Core. So if you think you’re getting a OC helmet when you buy the Legacy, you’re not — to my understanding. It’s possible they licensed the helmet design from OC, since they include a legit ARC-compliant rail, but that’s where it ends.

Also, I’d say the HHV pads are very similar to the PGD pad system. They’re just about as comfortable. The PGD BOA is a little better, in my subjective opinion.

Awesome.

Thank you for your patience with these questions.

What do you think of the Hoplite standard? At 3.25 pounds it might be a little heavy for your tastes but for me its a tool thrown in the car with the intent to only use in training or during a bad day.

Can you make any guesses on origin based on what they offer? Im not assuming the American company LTC makes the helmet shell as their site only seems to indicate plate manufature.

Awesome.

Thank you for your patience with these questions.

What do you think of the Hoplite standard? At 3.25 pounds it might be a little heavy for your tastes but for me its a tool thrown in the car with the intent to only use in training or during a bad day.

Can you make any guesses on origin based on what they offer? Im not assuming the American company LTC makes the helmet shell as their site only seems to indicate plate manufature.

Guess I’ll have to get a Hoplite and see.:giggle:

Reactions: WALLYBOB
Reply from Hoplite Armor regarding the source of the Hoplite shells....

I currently get my helmets from CAG out of North Carolina but LTC is about to launch a line of helmets. In a couple months we will be switching over to them. I don’t yet know the price difference but I am certain LTC helmets will cost a little bit more.

Lyman

What is CAG in North Carolina?

Just got off their site.

The lack of proclaiming "Made in USA" is usually a clue.

PSA: BulletProof Zone has an additional 10% off coupon sale. “CHRISTMAS10”

More from Hoplite....

They manufacture some things in the house. I think some of the shells come from Canada. Nothing from China if that’s what you’re wondering.

On Dec 16, 2020, at 10:04 AM, <pmclaine> wrote:
So CAG builds their shells in Greensboro than?

Its not clearly stated on their site.

Appreciate your patience with me.

Merry Christmas!

@TheHorta

I always wore a size large helmet while playing football, so it sounds like it should fit my noggin.

Was getting all hot and bothered by the PDG, but must buy 100% USA when possible. Plus it sounds like there are no compatibility issues with the Flux.

Thanks for the info from another Alabamian.

I called today and they are saying no go on a discount. They want 545 for one now.
Yeah that's a terrible deal, literally cheaper direct from the manufacturer. You'd probably get it quicker too!

I know when I was speaking with PGD directly they said they would offer a military discount as well, but it still came out a bit more expensive than the original $370 price in the beginning of the thread.