• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help, 243, 6XC, 6X47?????

tmxring

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2006
Athens AL
I have a Kreiger 7.5 twist M-24 27" blank that I want to build a spec rifle with, but not sure on which caliber would sell best. I have all 3 reamers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tooter

I love the 6xc. The creedmoor or 6x47 lapua woukd be just as good. I started with the xc and just dont see any reason to change.

Go .243. Easy to find brass. Easy to load for and good speed. I guess out of the three you mentioned, you could pick anyone and be happy though.

If you're building it to sell a rifle, would it not be best to list for sell with caliber choice's

What's the application?
243 - nobrainer if you don't want to chase brass or mess around with feeding issues. it will push heavies with ease.

6x47 and 6XC is splitting hairs - smaller efficient cases will give you an accuracy edge, 30deg shoulder and long neck help with throat erosion, but the point is moot since you'll be running higher pressures.

Most logical choice for me right now is 6SLR though.

What's the application?
243 - nobrainer if you don't want to chase brass or mess around with feeding issues. it will push heavies with ease.

6x47 and 6XC is splitting hairs - smaller efficient cases will give you an accuracy edge, 30deg shoulder and long neck help with throat erosion, but the point is moot since you'll be running higher pressures.

Most logical choice for me right now is 6SLR though.

Have you researched the SLR? I did a little and didn't find many people that really was wowed by it. Just wondering if I missed something.

For resale reasons I'd go with one of the wiz-bangs; 6XC or 6x47 Lapua. Nobody wants a 243 anymore, why? I don't know I love how mine shoots the 115 DTACs.

For resale reasons I'd go with one of the wiz-bangs; 6XC or 6x47 Lapua. Nobody wants a 243 anymore, why? I don't know I love how mine shoots the 115 DTACs.

You know I've seen the same thing. Most people around here that want a match rifle won't even consider a .243 when I ask them. Puzzling to me!

Have you researched the SLR? I did a little and didn't find many people that really was wowed by it. Just wondering if I missed something.

Yes, I own the reamer, and have redone my 243Win with phenomenal results - velocity went up, brass is more stable, I'm expecting the throat to last longer; oh, and groups went from Expert to High-Master in F-Class.
Brass is very easy to make - just run 243 through "shimmed" 6mmBR die - DONE.
Magazine feeding 100%.
IMHO 20deg shoulder makes sense in machine guns only.
24mgrhe.jpg

Yes, I own the reamer, and have redone my 243Win with phenomenal results - velocity went up, brass is more stable, I'm expecting the throat to last longer; oh, and groups went from Expert to High-Master in F-Class.
Brass is very easy to make - just run 243 through "shimmed" 6mmBR die - DONE.
Magazine feeding 100%.
IMHO 20deg shoulder makes sense in machine guns only.
24mgrhe.jpg

Sexy looking case there!

Bugholes did a four different 6mm cartridge shoot out. and posted results. He didn't have the 6 comp match, or the 6 slr in it but it's good reading. it's on this site some where. in the last month. if you want to push a 115 you will see some differences for sure in your choices.

Idahoorion

if you want more performance than what the 6XC can provide, the 6SLR makes the most sense to me. if you go over the 6mmbr.com, most of the guys there are VERY impressed with what their 6SLR and 6 competition match chambered rifles are doing. the creedmoor is getting a LOT of positive press right now for sure. I don't see how it can live up to the claims of performance over the 6XC but people who run them are adamant in their claims. I love the 6.5 creedmoor over the .260 so maybe the 6mm creedmoor is the cats ass. when you talk about the 6x47 lapua, 6XC, 6 SLR, 6 creedmoor, etc..... you are talking about a case with a 30* shoulder, long neck, and minimal body taper. to me, performance is going to be pretty close across the board but generally the smaller case capacities may offer a slight accuracy advantage. one of the biggest reasons I love the 6XC besides the great performance and accuracy is the ease of turning cheap once fired 22-250 brass into 6XC brass. this wouldn't be a consideration in your case.

Love my 6SLR.

The shoulder geometry fits AW magazines PERFECTLY.

The standard reamer puts the 105 hybrid on the lands @ 2.890", mine shoots best about .020" off.

Mine printed a 5-shot group measuring about 1.25" - at 600 yards. That is with unsorted RP brass.

I don't know if the 30º shoulder does anything truly better than the 20º on the 243, but it sure looks nice. Plus, the long neck makes it very versatile for loading about any bullet anywhere you want to put it in relation to the lands, without seating the bullet past the neck/shoulder junction.

So far I'm very happy with mine.

I'd do a 243 just because brass is everywhere, on the other hand if you want something a little less mainstream the 6x47 is the way to go.