• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help, 300 WM low recoil rounds

Re: Help, 300 WM low recoil rounds

Get a good reloading manual and load light bullets. Usually will take some of the recoil out. Kind of takes the fun out of shooting a 300WM though if you are going to neuter it. If recoil is a problem get a muzzle break.

+1 to what Rob said.

You can use lighter weight bullets as they give a smaller recoil impulse than the heavies. If you are going to reduce the actual powder load to make it shoot softer than you are defeating the purpose of the 300WM and you might as well step down to a 30-06 or .308

A good muzzle brake can significantly increase your comfort level without neutering the round. You can also put a heavier stock/scope/barrel on the weapon to temper the recoil as heavier weapons recoil a bit less violently.

i let my young kiddos shoot my .300WM all the time....with no ear protection,, they are hand rolled 190's and 70 something grn of R-22....and they kill golf balls at 100yd all the time with no tears...

i was thinking about having two sets of rounds. i have my fun hunting rounds which do their job well. and then i would like a round the more economic on my self and the gun. i'll be using it at the shooting range 100yds and the recoil gets to me after 80-100 rounds. i shoot alot and from what i understand the barrel gets worn out by pressure. less recoil would be nice both on myself and the gun at the range. = )

i will look into the liter rounds. so far i have tried 150gr. with 70gn of h1000. that's 10gr under the starting load. it work out alright but i can't really tell. i did notice alot more powder burn than normal.

i'm fairly new to all this and wouldn't mind your input! Thanks for your help so far.

You can buy a lead mould and some gas checks, pour some hard alloy and shoot light loads from it.

I use 9grn of Unique behind a 150grn gas checked lead hard cast in my 30-30 as a plinking round. Virtually no recoil.

30-06 gets the same bullet and 11 grn of powder. Comes out to ~2000 fps which works really nicely out to 300 yards, and compensating for the drop with it and time delay is really like shooting 5+ with it.

EDIT: You won't have any barrel wear from this path either.

i'm interested in your idea and what your are doing with gas checks lead bullets. sounds like the ideal round for paper shooting at 100yrd.

i was wondering about your load on the amount of powder. 11gr of powder in a 30-06, would that be too little of a powder? i was told it would be dangerous if there is too much air in the bass.

i'm unsure if that is true or not. what kind of powder are you using also ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i will look into the liter rounds. so far i have tried 150gr. with 70gn of h1000. that's 10gr under the starting load.
</div></div>

Not a good idea at all! Do not go below the starting load especially with the magnums. You can actually get detonation instead of the normal results. It is dangerous. The starting loads are there for a reason.

I have done copper plated cast 168 gr over 12 gr Unique. Don't remember the velocity, but no recoil in a 14 lb rifle. To load a play round in the 300 win is not neutering it, but making it more versatile. Use it on squirrel. Or tweety birds. Cats. Possums.

David

That is what .22s are for.

Do not go below starting loads, just as Rob01 said.
-Increase the wieght of the gun.
-Muzzle break.
-Pachmeyer Decellerator pad.
-"Sissy Pad" you wear on your shoulder.
-125gr Nosler BT and 79.0 grains of RL19 (3450fps) awsome on P-dogs
-110gr A-Max

I shoot a Remington 700 P 300WM and with a Badger FTE muzzle brake, the Federal 190's shoot like 308's... another option.

Add weight to the buttsock.............is the easiset, and cheapest, that and a better recoil pad.

A light load for a 300 is going to be a magnitude greater than 22. If a guy asks a question why do we get answers that don't pertain...

125 Ballistic tips and a reduced load of powder is probably going to be the best bet. Some sights have reduced loads that shouldn't recoil much.

A friend recommended to me to get a stock pack and load it as heavy as I could. Temporarly increases the weight of the rifle, is removable for hunting applications, and is cheap, fast and easy...three things that I like in some applications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A light load for a 300 is going to be a magnitude greater than 22. If a guy asks a question why do we get answers that don't pertain...

</div></div>

I am sure it will but for what Kinsmen mentioned, "Use it on squirrel. Or tweety birds. Cats. Possums.", you can just use a .22 and not waste time, money, and barrel life loading a 300WM with anemic loads. Getting a muzzle break is a good option because if you are worrying about barrel life and recoil with a 300WM then you should have gotten a .308. That does pertain because maybe the OP needs to rethink his rifle choice instead of his load choice.

A) 110gr V-max near the starting load
B) Trade it for a 243. Get the same ballistics with a fraction of the recoil and the smaller caliber means squat punching paper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm interested in your idea and what your are doing with gas checks lead bullets. sounds like the ideal round for paper shooting at 100yrd.

i was wondering about your load on the amount of powder. 11gr of powder in a 30-06, would that be too little of a powder? i was told it would be dangerous if there is too much air in the bass.

i'm unsure if that is true or not. what kind of powder are you using also ? </div></div>

There's a book called "The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook" and they published loading data for just about every round on the market as of 1988 when it came out. I took my loads straight from that.

I use Unique for the 30-30 and the 30-06 right now because that's what I had on hand. I've also used Red Dot and Green Dot for it. I like the Red Dot the most because it's max load in a 30-30 is like 7 grains of powder. 30-30's just because as cheap to shoot as 44 mags with cast bullets in them. (calculated out to under 10 cents a round)

To answer your other questions, you do run into problems with too much air in the case. A ball powder like BLC2 would give you hell at a load that light. With something that has low density like Unique it actually fills up the case pretty well.

Trail Boss is another great powder to use since it was designed specifically for this application and as such, about 7 grains fills a 30-30 case all the way up, 11 grains is a full 30-06 or Russian 54R case.

In order to err on the sake of safety I starting using LR Mag primers in the 30-30 when shooting lead to make sure I got good ignition with those kind of loads.

I shot hard 150grn flat nose lead into a stack of milk jugs full of water from 10 yards and the bullets didn't deform much, they act pretty nicely on deer from what my dad has seen. My dad uses hard cast 220grn flat nose on his silenced Mosin Nagant for hunting hear the house. (My mom gets all upset when he fires out of the kitchen window with full power 175gn hunting bullets)

For target practice with my hunting 300WM I use sierra 165 BTHP Gamekings over 76gr of Reloader 25. Recoil is comparable to a 308 Winchester. This helps me keep in practice with my hunting rifle while keeping my shoulder wear down to a minimum.

I copied this from the book I mentioned above. The data is for the 300 Weatherby Mag, not the 300 Win Mag. Maybe it can help you some, maybe it doesn't.

169grn round nose
COL = 3.562"
Unique
15grn, 1572 fps
19 grn, 1818 fps

23 grn, 1736 fps
28 grn, 1976 fps

187 grn round nose
Unique
14.0 grn, 1449 fps
18.0 grn, 1680 fps

22grn, 1607 fps
27grn, 1828 fps

208 round nose
Unique
12 grn, 1265 fps
16grn, 1506 fps

20grn, 1474 fps
25 grn, 1718 fps

IMR-4227
31grn, 1838 fps
35grn, 2000 fps

Put a Limbsaver pad on the rifle. Add an ammo pouch. Don't shoot 80-100 rounds at the range with it...that's too $$$ anyway.
Consider a rifle like a .243 if the 300 wm pounds you too hard. My Sako 300WM loves heavy bullets and hot loads. No point in shooting it with lighter bullets. Might as well break out another rifle. Don't shoot squib loads.

They aren't helping you too much. Eleven or twelve grains of Unique behind a 110 grain Carbine bullet...Sierra I think, out of the .308 gives about 1200 fps. Reduced loads with fast powders are not a problem unlike what Rob01 stated. Reduced loads with SLOW powders are a problem. Deflagration to detonation is the term used. You and he can Google it. I would extrapolate that the loads for your Maggie starting with 12 grains of Unique and working up a bit will get you what you want. With Unique the position of the powder in the case may or may not be a concern. Some folks raise the muzzle skyward to drop the powder to the base of the case before shooting. That may or may not improve accuracy. A long flamefront primer such as the Winchester LR will help consistancy..The 110 Sierra Round Nose was exceptionally accurate for me. Don't go too low and stick a jacked bullet in the barrel. It is above the sound barrier, but not real noisy. JMHO

FNP-

I wasn't aware you could go with a jacketed bullet on top of Unique like that, from what I was told (and this is only heresay at best) was that the jacketed ones didn't slide along easy enough and would hang up. Lucky case, you get a hang fire and it eventually goes down the right direciton. Bad case is what you mentioned, deflagration to detonation, and you get to wear your rifle.

I think we're on the same page about the reduced loads, Unique and Red Dot have served me nicely on cast bullets for a long time.