• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help choosing my first scope

mebreakrock

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Idaho
I'm an iron sights/red dot guy but I am wanting to get into (somewhat) long range target shooting and hunting with my Aero AR-10 in .308 16 inch barrel. I would really appreciate suggestions from the experienced people here. Typical ranges will be 100-500 yards but would like to be able to stretch out to 800 sometimes although this isn't a dealbreaker at all. My priority is durability and ability to hold zero as I can be a bit rough on my rifles. FOV is also important to me because most of my hunting shots would be less than 200 yards. my budget is $1,300. I know I can't get the best for that price but it's what I can afford. My current thoughts are a 4X ACOG, Vortex Razor HD 1-6, Zeiss Conquest V4 3-15, or a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 but I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
As far as glass quality goes, the Vortex Razor HD 1-6 would be the best of that list you gave, IMO.

I would also suggest a Vortex Spitfire 5x Prism scope. I have 2 of the older Spitfire Gen1 3x versions, and they're bulletproof.

If you want a longer range scope, something you can hunt with, and shoot long range, then I'd take a look at the new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 FFP. You can find them like $600.

I have the SFP version (2nd Focal Plane) for about 2 years now, and it's been great. It's been bumped, bounced, knocked-around, etc... and it's held zero just fine.Here's the SFP version (the one I have) with the mount using the code "STRIKE" for only $299!!! I might even order another one at that price. 😂

Another option... The brand new Atibal 1-10x30 LPVO...

I'm an iron sights/red dot guy but I am wanting to get into (somewhat) long range target shooting and hunting with my Aero AR-10 in .308 16 inch barrel. I would really appreciate suggestions from the experienced people here. Typical ranges will be 100-500 yards but would like to be able to stretch out to 800 sometimes although this isn't a dealbreaker at all. My priority is durability and ability to hold zero as I can be a bit rough on my rifles. FOV is also important to me because most of my hunting shots would be less than 200 yards. my budget is $1,300. I know I can't get the best for that price but it's what I can afford. My current thoughts are a 4X ACOG, Vortex Razor HD 1-6, Zeiss Conquest V4 3-15, or a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 but I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

An open box Vortex LHT FFP would also be a great option under your budget :) https://cstactical.com/razor-hd-lht-4-5-22x50-ffp-riflescope/

Reactions: mebreakrock
Your going to get a lot of opinions. But that’s a good thing.
At that price range you open a lot of doors to quality optics with proven track records. I would look closely at Japanese offerings (Tract, Razor, Cronus, etc)
You could possibly find a used USA made scope on the classifieds that meet your budget. ( Mark5, XTR3)
Durability and tracking is going to be about as good as it gets with these offerings so I would focus on what feature sets you want. Such as reticle and turrets. And narrow your search from there.

Reactions: mebreakrock