• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help choosing scope for Remington 700 5r.

JSR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to purchase my first piece of glass and was hoping to get some suggestions. I searched the forum, but couldn’t seem to find a thread related to this topic. I am new to the forum, so perhaps I missed it.

The scope will be for a Remington 700 5R mil-spec .308 with a threaded barrel. As far as distance, I’m new to this so I’m sure the rifle will be able to shoot further than me for awhile. I’m attempting to set up the rifle as close to an m24 as possible since they both use the 5r barrel. I would like to set up it like an m24 sniper rifle would be, but It will primarily be used for target shooting, with the hopes of someday being able to go 850 - 1000 feet. Maybe hunting, but I think the setup will be to heavy to be practical for that.

I’m looking to get the best possible scope for long range target shooting and tough enough to handle get knocked around if I were to go hunting with it. I’m considering the NightForce scope. Either the NX8 4-32X50 F1, B.E.A.S.T. 5-25X56 F1, or ATACR 7-35×56 F1. I realize that these may be over kill, but I’d rather have a scope that I can grow into and use on future rifle set ups. The only limitations for the scope would be the limitactions of the rifle, which I‘m certain most of you know more about that than I do.

thanks for any help you could provide. I really appreciate anyone who can take the time to let me know the best option.

Of the three the ATACR for sure.
Better package and glass than the NXS And a more modern scope than the beast.

Thanks a lot Steel Head. That alone helped me narrow down things considerably. If you have the time could you help me with a couple follow questions.

1. Giving that I’m trying to build a platform as close to the m24 as possible I’m assuming a first focal plane scope is a better choice.
However, my assumptions on this topic aren’t worth much. So, in your experience which would be the better choice , first or second focal plane. I’m not even sure what the benefit is between the two.

2. Which model ATACR would best suit the 700 5R .308.
- ATACR 4-16x50 F1/F2
- ATACR 5-25x56 F1/F2
- ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1/F2

Thanks again Steel.

Depends how much you want to spend.
5r's run around $1000
It is an untrued factory rifle in a soso stock and a soso trigger. It's a coin toss how well it will shoot.

You will always be far from a true m24 with a factory 5r.
M24's are factory tested for accuracy. They are mounted in an adjustable hs precision stock. They are chambered in 308 in a long action receiver. The one I was issued had an adjustable 10 power Leupold mk4. They have an iron sight mount on the barrel. They are unthreaded at the muzzle.

The m24 was never a really great sniper rifle. The stock sucked ass and the long action running 308 was a stupid idea. They were very accurate with m118lr though and had amazing barrel life.

Knowing this, do you really want to mount a $2-3k scope on a $1k rifle? A fixed 10x mildot swfa in some tally rings might be a better fit.

Reactions: Bender and JSR
@JSR
FFP and Mils for sure. I am thinking about scope for my Rem 700 40-X as well. Have 7-35 Atacr in my safe, but it is a huge and heavy weight scope. I am probably going with smaller and lighter scope like Hensoldt 4-16. With McMillan stock and 24" barrel it will look much better.

Reactions: JSR
Thanks a lot Steel Head. That alone helped me narrow down things considerably. If you have the time could you help me with a couple follow questions.

1. Giving that I’m trying to build a platform as close to the m24 as possible I’m assuming a first focal plane scope is a better choice.
However, my assumptions on this topic aren’t worth much. So, in your experience which would be the better choice , first or second focal plane. I’m not even sure what the benefit is between the two.

- ATACR 4-16x50 F1/F2
- ATACR 5-25x56 F1/F2
- ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1/F2

Thanks again Steel.
5-25 for sure would be the best all
all around out of those three. Imo

Something lightly used from the PX with the savings spent on ammo.
Thanks Pmclaine. That is definitely a wise suggestion, but
Depends how much you want to spend.
5r's run around $1000
It is an untrued factory rifle in a soso stock and a soso trigger. It's a coin toss how well it will shoot.

You will always be far from a true m24 with a factory 5r.
M24's are factory tested for accuracy. They are mounted in an adjustable hs precision stock. They are chambered in 308 in a long action receiver. The one I was issued had an adjustable 10 power Leupold mk4. They have an iron sight mount on the barrel. They are unthreaded at the muzzle.

The m24 was never a really great sniper rifle. The stock sucked ass and the long action running 308 was a stupid idea. They were very accurate with m118lr though and had amazing barrel life.

Knowing this, do you really want to mount a $2-3k scope on a $1k rifle? A fixed 10x mildot swfa in some tally rings might be a better fit.

Thanks bud. I already picked up the 700 5r a year ago. At the time is was the only option I could afford in terms of a sniper rifle. As you can tell I’m new to this and just starting to learn the basics, butI figured going with what the military used would be a safe bet. I do plan on getting a different chassis. Looking at cadex chassis right now, but still have a lot to learn before getting one. As for the scope I figured I could get a 2-3k scope for the 700 and use the scope for my next rifle, but maybe I should just get a cheap scope and have that as my dedicated 700 scope.

so, you recommend the 10 power Leupold mk4? Or would it be worth it to get a high end scope if I plan on upgrading the chassis and trigger? In term of how much I want to spend, that’s not a factor. All I’m looking for is a good bolt action rifle set up that someone like you would find reliable and useful in certain situations. Not sure that this matters, but my 5r is threaded and I plan on getting a suppressor for It. I heard that a bolt action with sub sonic ammo is the quietest firearm you can shoot. Hopefully I lucked out and didn’t get a 5r barrel that doesn’t shoot well.

Last edited:
@JSR
FFP and Mils for sure. I am thinking about scope for my Rem 700 40-X as well. Have 7-35 Atacr in my safe, but it is a huge and heavy weight scope. I am probably going with smaller and lighter scope like Hensoldt 4-16. With McMillan stock and 24" barrel it will look much better.

yeah I’m definitely get a different stock and I’ll check out that scope. I expect to make a few poor choices as I learn more about Long range rifles. I just hope when I done I end up with a decent rifle set up for my first time. Thanks for the info.

5-25 for sure would be the best all
all around out of those three. Imo

Thanks Tweedy. I was leaning toward that one. I just hope I chose the right scope. I tend to buy the newer more expensive option, but some are saying that’s it’s overkill. Like I said if that scope will allow me to use the rifle to the best of it ability I don’t mind the price. I just don’t want to get a scope that is too much or not right for the rifle.

By the way, do you or anyone else have any suggestions on some books I could read to help me along. Do you think I should pick up some military manuals on the subject?

Mine and many others shot 0.6" out of the box with 175 GMM. With a trigger she was ~0.4", then a skim-bed, she's @ 1/4" with sorted Fed GMM (for case length) or reloads with a few different projectiles, including the 208 eld-m.

I've run a Bushnell DMRII, an Athlon Midas 4.5-27, and a Trijicon 4.5-50 on her so far. The Trijicon seems a bit overkill. IMG_20200301_125725.jpg

Old adage is true, you'll get much more benefit from $1000 of ammo and a $1000 scope than you would a $2000 scope and no ammo...

A scope like that is super nice, but you can pick up a very good scope for much less used. Let someone else pay the premium for driving the scope off the lot so to speak. You can grow into the sport and figure out what you really want later. Its like asking what is your favorite color.

I bet very few guys on here bought perfectly into their one and only scope, lol. Its a problem many of us have. I owned quite a few before I found one that I like, and now I am pretty well using only one reticle on different models of the same scope. (Leupold MK5).

If you can go to a match, and ask about scopes and look through them, that would be a much better way to make the decision between. Truthfully, I shot to 1000 yards with a used SWFA 12x and a cheapo Savage. Eventually, I sold that stuff and slowly moved up.

Thanks Pmclaine. That is definitely a wise suggestion, but

Thanks bud. I already picked up the 700 5r a year ago. At the time is was the only option I could afford in terms of a sniper rifle. As you can tell I’m new to this and just starting to learn the basics, butI figured going with what the military used would be a safe bet. I do plan on getting a different chassis. Looking at cadex chassis right now, but still have a lot to learn before getting one. As for the scope I figured I could get a 2-3k scope for the 700 and use the scope for my next rifle, but maybe I should just get a cheap scope and have that as my dedicated 700 scope.

so, you recommend the 10 power Leupold mk4? Or would it be worth it to get a high end scope if I plan on upgrading the chassis and trigger? In term of how much I want to spend, that’s not a factor. All I’m looking for is a good bolt action rifle set up that someone like you would find reliable and useful in certain situations. Not sure that this matters, but my 5r is threaded and I plan on getting a suppressor for It. I heard that a bolt action with sub sonic ammo is the quietest firearm you can shoot. Hopefully I lucked out and didn’t get a 5r barrel that doesn’t shoot well.

No problem,
If your dead set on a variable power, I'd get a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 or even the 3-12. They can be had under $1k, are Japanese made and are really nice scopes with good quality glass and a forgiving eye box. They also have a TMR style reticle so you won't get overwhelmed and turrets are .1mil adjustments.
I'd stay away from the mk4, so many better scopes for the money around these days.

I'd also stay away from the larger objective scopes such as 56mm for your scenario. The LRTS is 44mm objective and has a 30mm tube. This allows you get get lower rings, providing a more comfortable cheek height.

168 and 175 federal gold metal match is the gold standard in off the shelf ammo. I'd stock up on that rather than a more expensive optic.

Mine and many others shot 0.6" out of the box with 175 GMM. With a trigger she was ~0.4", then a skim-bed, she's @ 1/4" with sorted Fed GMM (for case length) or reloads with a few different projectiles, including the 208 eld-m.

I've run a Bushnell DMRII, an Athlon Midas 4.5-27, and a Trijicon 4.5-50 on her so far. The Trijicon seems a bit overkill.View attachment 7363504

Thanks for the help Chicken toast. I’m definitely getting a lot of good advice from you guys:)

Old adage is true, you'll get much more benefit from $1000 of ammo and a $1000 scope than you would a $2000 scope and no ammo...

A scope like that is super nice, but you can pick up a very good scope for much less used. Let someone else pay the premium for driving the scope off the lot so to speak. You can grow into the sport and figure out what you really want later. Its like asking what is your favorite color.

I bet very few guys on here bought perfectly into their one and only scope, lol. Its a problem many of us have. I owned quite a few before I found one that I like, and now I am pretty well using only one reticle on different models of the same scope. (Leupold MK5).

If you can go to a match, and ask about scopes and look through them, that would be a much better way to make the decision between. Truthfully, I shot to 1000 yards with a used SWFA 12x and a cheapo Savage. Eventually, I sold that stuff and slowly moved up.

Thanks Hereinaz. I wish I could find a match near me to go to. I’ll look around but with everything locked down like the world is ending it may be a bit tough for now.

No problem,
If your dead set on a variable power, I'd get a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 or even the 3-12. They can be had under $1k, are Japanese made and are really nice scopes with good quality glass and a forgiving eye box. They also have a TMR style reticle so you won't get overwhelmed and turrets are .1mil adjustments.
I'd stay away from the mk4, so many better scopes for the money around these days.

I'd also stay away from the larger objective scopes such as 56mm for your scenario. The LRTS is 44mm objective and has a 30mm tube. This allows you get get lower rings, providing a more comfortable cheek height.

168 and 175 federal gold metal match is the gold standard in off the shelf ammo. I'd stock up on that rather than a more expensive optic.

Thanks Wildbill. The recommendation on ammo is much appreciated. Hopefully I can get into reloading soon, but I’m so back up with work I don’t have time to set it up right now. It is definitely on my list though and I’m sure I’ll be back here picking your brains again.

I have a couple .308 5R sitting in McRee G10 stock, NF 1 piece 20 MOA steel base, Timney Trigger, Bushnell DMRII Glass. If I had extra cash laying around they would have NF 7-35 glass. They shoot great with factory match ammo. I'm putting together another 5R with the factory H&S stock with DBM and a smaller scope (NF SHV 4-14 or Bushnell 4-18), for more of a hunter style rifle. Still gonna use the NF base, Timney Trigger, and a brake.
Nice. I can’t wait to check out those recommendation. I definitely need to find some rings for the scope and a nice trigger.

Reactions: Aqua Mark
Is it just me or was there a longer post made by someone earlier and now it’s gone. I came back you read and reply but can’t find it.

When i was first putting my remy 700 in 308 together i was weighing out cost of gun and scope and what i came up with at the time was i put a US optics ST-10 fixed power ontop
Its a good scope simple easy to read reticle and robust scope and not to mention ideal for the .308
A9B8DD6B-D23E-4FA3-B10B-97E6041443BE.jpeg

The easy answer is this:
If you can afford the ATACR, get the ATACR.

I had a 5R mil-spec that shot lights out, it was incredibly accurate.
You'll end up putting it in a chassis.
Then you'll end up rebarreling into something more suited to long range.
Not to worry, lot's of hide sponsors that do excellent work.

Get the best scope you can, it is NEVER a waste of money.

^My 5R will get a 284 Shehane remage barrel next - to make better use of that 4.5-50 Trijicon. I have a 26lb Clay Spencer F/TR rig to keep for 308.

The easy answer is this:

Big Boy Mare's Leg Pistol .357 Mag/.38 Spl
The easy answer is this:

Thanks Fdkay. Yeah I agree with you bud. I can see the wisdom in all the advice giving here, but I think many people thought I was talking about the price when I said I didn’t want to go overboard. That’s my fault for not being clear. The best way to explain it since I lack the proper knowledge and terminology is I didn’t want to get a scope designed to hit a target at 1000 + yards if the rifle‘s maximum effect range is 750 yards.

That being said I‘ll feel more comfortable getting a top of the line scope. especially since I plan on doing what you mentioned and get a chassis like a cadex, MDT, or ATAICS. Right now I just have to do some last minute reading so I can decide between the Nightforce ATACR or Vortex Razor AMG/HD Gen III /HD Gen II. Just have to make sure I follow the advice of others and get one that gives me a good cheek weld.

I do want to sincerely thank you and everyone else who offered advice. All of you provided sound wisdom and that is more helpful than I can tell you. Now I have search the threads for advice on ring mounts, chassis, tigger, ammo loads, and suppressors.:) I think after that I’ll be ready to starting shooting and learning.

- ATACR 4-16x50 F1/F2
- ATACR 5-25x56 F1/F2
- ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1/F2

Thanks again Steel.
For a 308 I would get the 5x25.
FFP with a mil XT reticle.
There’s a lot of excellent other options as well, some considerably cheaper.

For a 308 I would get the 5x25.
FFP with a mil XT reticle.
There’s a lot of excellent other options as well, some considerably cheaper.

5x25 it is Sir. Thanks. I know there are many less expensive options that make sense, but I’m just going to blame wasting money on cool new toys on my midlife crisis. I recently entered my 40’s and I can’t afford a Ferrari, so I splurging on firearms and motorcycles. :). Speaking of cool new toys did you see the new scope the Army is getting, 1-8x30 Active Reticle Fire Control. I wish that was for sale.

I have a Busnell Elite Tactical DMR 3.5-21X with a 20 MOA Seekins mount on my 5R Mil Spec. Gun is consistently sub .5 MOA and usually well below that if I do my part. Added a Timney trigger and a little work to resolve a timing problem, but other than that, it's a great combination.

Timely thread- I picked up 2 Rem 5R's on an end of year deal through my FFL buddy. Plus got a $75 rebate on each from Remington. I picked up the 20" .308 and a 6.5CM. Right now I have a 10x SWFA on the 6.5cm and a used Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 on the .308 (that scope normally sits on my .257AI). I'm looking right in the 5-25 variable range for both of these rifles as well. I'm considering a Tract Toric, a used SWFA 5-20 HD, or possibly pick up a Mark4 off of Midway (runs $999 for the higher power).

I've only got 30 rounds down the tube on the .308. Broke it in with some Fed Gold Match then started load development with Peterson brass. My second 5 round shots (handloads) produced some really nice groups at my buddies 120yd backyard range.

kb05rRK.jpg

u1eCTGw.jpg

That 20" .308 is quite the handy little rifle! It's going to make a great gun for the truck or 4wheeler.

Last edited:
My 5R's both shoot excellent. I have a Gen2 4.5-27 Razor on the .308, and 7-35 ATACR on the 300WM. Both are in MPA chassis.
Welcome to the addiction!

I've never felt the need for more than 14x on the top end with my R5 Milspec. Plenty of magnification for typical 7-800 yard shots, and occasional 1k shots. As already stated, plenty of good optics at around a grand to choose from. I run an old Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 with a homemade zero stop. Never felt the need to upgrade.

As previously mentioned, a stock upgraded is your better investment. Here's my R5 in a KRG Bravo:

1594183617421.png

Have you guys that did a 5R stock upgrade really notice a huge difference in performance? I'm used to plain Jane hunting rigs and the two 5R's I bought seem to shoot really well with the stock H&S stocks. At least they fit me alright. The palm area is a little thick, but I can get used to it. The .308 I have certainly shoots well with my handloads, and I'm still tinkering with the 6.5CM- but with factory Hornady match ammo I get this-

8iphN2Z.jpg

I'm sure when I tune in a good hand load with some ELD-M and ELD-X I can square that one up. Of course that's only 120yds- but do you see a big difference at range by tossing the factory stock?

I'd like to upgrade the scope before the stock- but I keep reading a lot of guys immediately toss the stock.

Mine was always a shooter - even in the original HS Precision stock. I found however that a stock upgrade help me be MUCH more comfortable and consistent.

Try the 178 ELD-x with 43.3gr of Varget with a COAL of just over SAAMI at 2.805".

Reactions: Threerun
Mine was always a shooter - even in the original HS Precision stock. I found however that a stock upgrade help me be MUCH more comfortable and consistent.

Try the 178 ELD-x with 43.3gr of Varget with a COAL of just over SAAMI at 2.805".
Aye I can do that. I assume your 5R is also long in the throat? I can park my Chevy 2500 with an 8' bed in there with a round, lol.

With a skim-bed on the HS-stock, I took a tenth out of my groups at 100. The 170-180 class of projectiles with N540 give me groups in the 1's and 2's when I'm on. Amazingly, sorting Fed GMM 175's for proper case length shoot just as well.

Factory, whatever that is. I found that both the SMK 175 and the 178 ELDx like close to 2.800 best in my old, original version circa 2007 (I think). I'll stick with my 1982 K5 with the 6.2 diesel thank you. Leaks and all!

Post pics when you're done modding your rig.

A 5R Hart (NY) was one of my favorite barrels, FWIW.

Oh yeah - any of the scopes mentioned in this thread will get you out to 850-1000 feet ;-)

I would like to set up it like an m24 sniper rifle would be, but It will primarily be used for target shooting, with the hopes of someday being able to go 850 - 1000 feet. Maybe hunting, but I think the setup will be to heavy to be practical for that.