• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build my long distance shooting range

Jeg181420

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2012
My family owns a large parcel of wooded land out of state that I visit probably 5-6 weeks per year, mostly in the summer; no neighbors within a 5 mile radius, no zoning restrictions, noise ordinances, etc. I recently had a straight swath cut through the woods that is approximately 750 yards long by 60 yards wide and plan on building/ setting up a long distance shooting range for my own private use. The shooting position is on a small hill approximately 50 feet higher than the rest of the range. The rifles that will be used are my two Savages. One is a .308 shooting 175 SMKs and the other is a .223 shooting 69s. Both have McMillan A5 stocks, SSS triggers, and SWFA 10x scopes. I have yet to shoot the .223 at ranges exceeding 300 yards, but I have shot the .308 out to 600 yards last summer at a club range and it did very well. I'm basically looking for advice or recommendations as to how to set this up; in other words, if this was your property, how would you do it? I have some money to spend on this project, but I would like to keep it practical. It doesn't need to be over the top.

I currently have 1/2" thick round AR500 gongs in the following sizes: two 4", one 6", one 10", and one 12" and will be building stands out of black pipe and chain so they can swing. I am going to buy more targets of various sizes and shapes (the company I buy them from has either round or IPSC shaped). I would like to have paper target stands at 50 and 100 yards for sight-in and .22 shooting and then to start, 4 different distances, each containing 2-3 different size steel gongs. What 4 distances would you guys choose and what size gongs would you put at each distance to not make it overly easy or difficult, but still fun and challenging.

I have access to an unlimited supply of free gravel and can possibly have someone come in with an excavator and dump truck to set up berms/ backstops behind each set of targets. I would like to be able to spot my misses but don't know if I would be able to successfully do so with gravel and unfortunately I don't have access to any dirt or sand. What do you think?

Lastly, I am planning on building 2 shooting benches under a roof, similar to this:
http://www.winnebagoccb.com/images/Hogsback Shooting Range shelter.jpg
Thanks and I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Sounds like you got it all figured out. not a bad plan and if you have access to the gravel then you should be able to build yourself a nice little range. Do you have any access to a bunch of old tires? I know that they usually use a pile of tires for berms before they dump the dirt over it. I think it helps keep the dirt/sand together.

Keep us posted how it turns out. I'd love to have some land I could put a private range on.

I'm building another berm on my (ranch) land as well. I took all my old metal "trash" (defined as local welder said he couldn't use it) lying around and dumped that down first. I've started to lay on the dirt (I have more than enough left over from recent construction). The dirt will erode over time, but it is "Wabaunsee" dirt and so full of limestone pebbles and prairie hay roots, so it won't erode too fast. I would worry that nothing but gravel would be more likely to create ricochets than dirt, is that not the case? I can see that gravel will stand up better/longer though.

Sounds like an ideal place for a range. Be sure to think into the future. Old tires could be a clean-up issue for future sale of the land (as will be lead). Also, even though no close neighbors now, consider future issues. Develop a written range and safety plan now and document what you have done to address any potential safety issues. Get a copy of NRA's Range Source Book. Good planning and construction will pay off in the future if any issues arise.

I am a recovering bench rest shooter. About your benches ... I have never seen a wooden bench that was rigid. Pour a concrete pad to put the benches on. Build bench legs from blocks or pour round legs with re-rod. Make a top form in the shape you want and pour the top from concrete - 4 inches thick is good, 6 inches is better. Float the top so that it is smooth. They will never wiggle or rot or go to hell on you and they will be rigid. Go to a range where they shoot BR - all of the benches will be concrete. Just my $0.02.

My small targets that are suspended with chains wrap around the cross bar turning them into one shot targets. Going to try an old truck bed mat or strip of tire next.

My small targets that are suspended with chains wrap around the cross bar turning them into one shot targets. Going to try an old truck bed mat or strip of tire next.

I recently just quit using an old truck bed mat 1) because it was a HUGE pain in the ass to cut and 2) it dampened the sound of the steel. Went to 1 1/4 fire house and am much happier. Plus it moves easier.

I recently just quit using an old truck bed mat 1) because it was a HUGE pain in the ass to cut and 2) it dampened the sound of the steel. Went to 1 1/4 fire house and am much happier. Plus it moves easier.

Thanks for the info will try your solution first

Gotta love auto correct! Did you get the hose from your local fire dept?

Ha! Didn't even notice that. Yes I did. They retire hoses yearly (I believe) and as long as you tell them you are planning to use it for hanging targets they shouldn't have a problem with it. They don't want people trying to use it as a hose due to the amount of pressure they are put under and hence retired it. I'm not a fireman but this is my understanding.

You're above my pay grade but I do know a potentially excellent source of advice. In the forum at Varmint Hunters.com, there's a member by screen name of Birdog. He has a range he's built on his farm that he's constantly redesigning and modifying. His furthest berm, IIRC is 800 yards. I mention him in particular for three reasons.

#1, He's a serious shooter, and he hosts some informal competitions that draw some pretty high-level competitive shooters. IIRC, a couple of months ago, the son of P.O. Ackley (creator of the Ackley Improved cartridges) dropped in on one of their shoots. Gives him a lot of input from some very experienced folks about what's working and what's not.
#2, He owns a dozer with a front-end loader, so there's nothing stopping him making whatever changes strike his fancy. If he thinks it needs doing, he does it, then he tests it.
#3, He's an uncommonly amenable fella. Tell him what you're up to and I'd bet he'd be thrilled to help.

Either PM him or post a topic with "For Birdog" in the subject line. At the very least, he probably could give you a list of "what not to do's".