• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help me decide...Kahr CM9 vs. Ruger LC9

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
Gunshow this weekend. Decided to give one of these new single stack 9mms a try. I'm leaning Kahr because it's a bit smaller and lighter. But I could be talked into the Ruger (plus it's cheaper). Toughts? Experience? Are there others I should be considering?

And the first person to say 9mm isn't enough caliber and I should get a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry II in .45acp will receive a virtual beating.

Re: Help me decide...Kahr CM9 vs. Ruger LC9

The Kahr is smaller and lighter? Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I remember the Kahr being larger, bulkier, boxier, and overall less impressive.

Handled both, shot neither.

Better try out the trigger on each gun if possible. I think there is where your answer will be. Hate to say it, cause I am a Ruger fan, but the Kahr seems built better to me.

social guns got triggers one has to yank and really want to make the fire sequence begin......act accordingly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">social guns got triggers one has to yank and really want to make the fire sequence begin......act accordingly </div></div>

Point taken.

Kahr, the Ruger is a chunk.

I have owned the kahr 9,40,45. Exceptional guns, for a ccw without equal. IMHO.

Have you considered the Kimber Solo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RETE8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you considered the Kimber Solo?
</div></div>

I thought about it but it's bigger and heavier...I do like some of the features but for $300 more I can't see that the Kimber is worth the extra cash.

The Walther PPS is another option new to me. Here are a few observations;
Its a pre-cock striker pin system and the trigger mechanism feels simular to a G17 I have with a 3.5# connector (a bit heavier and less even but the Glock has 5k+ rounds through it). I dry fired both in each hand simultaniously many times. The take-up feels identical. So good or bad depending on personal preference for a concealed carry gun. I think the DA/SA system they used in the P99 would be a nice option.

The german inspired trigger guard is long. I have long, thin hands, I can barely purchase the front outside loop in grip and I think this is a common wrong for a CCW. This is with the smaller suppled grip backstrap.

The ambi mag release is not accessable in right thumb with full grip but does not interfere or conflict with different holster depths. The trigger finger has access to mag release in grip. The slide release is shallow requiring much thumb effort. The empty mags release violently. The gun will fire w/o mag.

Between the OP, I would lean towards the Kahr in handling. The LC9 trigger is the opposite of the PPS in feel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Walther PPS is another option new to me. </div></div>

At nearing twice the price. Walther has a $50 rebate going for the PPS, but that's because the gun is already ridiculously overgouged at $600.

I would choose the Kahr. I like the design and ergonomics.

go with the kahr i owned a pm9 for some time and shot a lc9 recently. if the cm9 is as close to the pm9 as ive read the kahr takes the cake hands down the trigger feels way better and the fit and finish of the gun is better!

I carry a P9. Both the PM9 and P9 shoot very well for me. In my experience, the Kahrs are more reliable after a 100-200 round break in compared to other pocket guns like the LCP and the Sig 238.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RETE8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you considered the Kimber Solo?
</div></div>

I thought about it but it's bigger and heavier...I do like some of the features but for $300 more I can't see that the Kimber is worth the extra cash. </div></div>

The Solo is much smaller than the LC9 and roughly the same size of the CM/PM9.

If you pull the trigger on the CM and the LC, you will have your answer. The Ruger trigger is not good. Although the Ruger has good reviews of reliability, there are several "features" on the gun. To me, each feature provides another point of failure. I like simple.

That said, I sold my Solo (sold it for a lot more than it should cost to buy) and purchased a DB9. I like it a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunshow this weekend. Decided to give one of these new single stack 9mms a try. I'm leaning Kahr because it's a bit smaller and lighter. But I could be talked into the Ruger (plus it's cheaper). Toughts? Experience? Are there others I should be considering?

And the first person to say 9mm isn't enough caliber and I should get a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry II in .45acp will receive a virtual beating. </div></div>

I would go with the Kahr. Read my review of the LC9. Trigger is way to long for me. Everything else about the gun seems to be ok. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...798#Post2848798

I am getting a PM9 this week in a trade deal. I'll post my review of it also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Khar. Don't even think about it anymore. </div></div>

I'm with him. I've got a kahr CW9 and its a great gun. I also own a Ruger lcp 380 and construction quality is no comparison. The kahr is a better made gun.

JMC

I've got a PM9, and one of my officers has a CM9. Both great, compact 9mm's with excellent triggers. CM9 is quite a bit cheaper. It has a regular rifled barrel rather than the Polygonal one in the PM9, and the PM9 has drift adjustable night sights. Those are the main differences.

Donnie

Kahr all the frickin way. Pricey, but awesome.

I bought my PM9 on a whim because it was a good deal. It has been FANTASTIC and is my EDC, sitting in a holster in my pocket. After checking mine out and shooting it, my buddy bought a Keltec PF9. It works fine but is MUCH sharper with recoil and nowhere near so easy to shoot.

I've shot the PM9, LC9, PF9 back to back to back and the PM9 is the hands down winner in shootability.

After riding in my pocket unfired for 9 months, I pulled it out of my pocket on a whim one day to do a quick +p+ mag dump...aside from a ridiculous cloud of dust/lint, it ran beautiful.

Winchester PDX1 124gr goes 1190fps out of mine....CED M2 chrono, 15 feet away.

I can routinely hit a 9" target at 25 yards.

Only quirk to the gun is you CAN'T "slingshot" the slide into battery on a fresh magazine. You must use the slide catch...even says so in the manual...if you don't, it'll FTF almost every time.

Picked up the Kahr CM9 Sunday. Headed to the range to run 150-200 rounds of 5 different ammos through it this evening. Will report back. Thanks for all the input. Really sweet trigger. Seems lighter than advertised. More soon...

Ran 110 rounds through the Kahr CM9 last night. No malfunctions of any kind. I was a little bit suprised since Kahr recommends 200 round break-in to consider the pistol fully reliable. I ran Winchester 147gr PDX1, Hornaday 124gr XTP TAP, Blazer Brass 115gr, and Federal 115gr target junk from Wally World.

Trigger is long but smooth. My rear sight is a little off center so I'll need to adjust it at some point so I'm not shooting left on every shot.

BTW Kahr is offering a free mag by mail if you buy before the end of November. Check out their website for details. I look forward to getting the free extended mag so I have a little more grip space for running rounds at the range.

Overall, very pleased with this purchase.

Ive fired the Kahr afew times I like it for a ccw dont recall any issues though we were firing ball through it. I never fired the ruger.

Glad to hear your happy with your purchase. I personally would vote for the DB9. My buddy bought one a few months ago and I've put about 150 rounds through it. Its very small and light, so the recoil is sharp. The trigger is mediocre and really long, but that seems to be the norm for these guns. It's so easy to conceal, barely bigger than my p3at, a lot better made, and cheap @ $320.