• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help me decide on a PVS-14 mount

dscl

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2021
Illinois
Picking up my first PVS-14 and after a ton of reading I had mostly decided on a INVG because I liked how tightly it stows with the rotating arm and it seemed rock solid. The downside however is it seems less ideal for goggles (if I end up down that path latter)and switching between eyes is more cumbersome. Having seen the AX14-PRO J-Arm and how it articulates for tighter stowing it has me looking at other options.

So if you were picking up a mount today where would you net out and why? So far I'm considering
  • INVG Hyper w/Dual Dovetail
  • AKA II Hyper w/ AX14-Pro
  • Lo-Sto FTO w/AX14-Pro
  • RHNO 2 Dovetail w/AX14-Pro

None of the above . And here is why.

Go with a Rhino 2 with Dovetail and a Mod Armory Light Weight Bridge.

Strongest, most versatile setup for a one and done most cost effective investment.

1. It allows the most compact stowing of a PVS 14 single, PVS 14 Duals and/or either of those with a Pas 29 COTI attached as well, much better than any other mounting system.

2. If you want to run a very slimmed down single you can take the mounting arm off whatever side you choose via taking out the shoulder bolt and removing the arm, or just leave it on rolled up. Whatever suits your fancy.

3. All of the Noisefighter arms (plastic) that attach to a PVS 14 are too thick to allow the proper installation and orientation of a Pas 29 COTI. That is an absolute deal killer for me. The Mod Armory arms are strong thinner aluminum which allows for proper installation and orientation of the Pas 29 COTI.

4. You can also mount a Breach or other HMT onto the Mod Armory Bridges via a multitude of adapters they offer.

5. To me, passive aiming over IR Pointer/Illuminator is much overhyped for taking real world shots due to such a typically poor sight picture that does not allow enough PID when trying to sight NODS through any day sight especially in low light conditions. That being said, the ability to switch a single PVS 14 from dominant shooting eye to non dominant non shooting eye is moot. Thermal is the best passive shooting solution once PID has occurred

6. A force to overcome beats a pushbutton in a amped up situation.

7. A mediocre NV tube with a Pas 29 COTI will smoke even the highest rated NV tube by itself on detecting live critters out there, all night, every night. So any mount I would consider has to be able to offer that ability to correctly configure a Pas 29 COTI and not some half ass, I got it stuck on there method.

Anyway, that is my quick and dirty on the subject. Can probably think up even more good reasons if I put my mind to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenMushroom
Can confirm on the Noisefighters arm. Neat idea but sucks for running a coti.

Eta I converted rhino2 to dovetails as starter mounts but have never found a reason to upgrade. Save your money for thermal.

Reactions: WhereNow&How