• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me decide on my next glass.

dormandefense

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Aynor, SC
First of all, here's a little background. I'm currently running a Savage 10P in .308 in an XLR element chassis. I was running the Bushy 3-12 with the G2 reticle. I just feel that I need a bit more magnification. I loved the g2 reticle, and I think I would prefer to stay with a reticle that allows for windage hold at distance. Primarily, my shooting is done within 800 yards @ 1.5-2MOA steel. My competition shooting will be mostly DMMs where shots will be taken within 600 yards at black targets around 2MOA in size. I found at the last Woody's match that 12x was lacking a bit for me when searching for black targets in paths cut back in dense trees. I never really need to use magnification under 6x as I'm not really using it for hunting.

So, here are some scopes I was considering. I'm hoping to get some helpful thoughts on these individually from guys who have used them in similar situations as I will be.

My pockets aren't at all deep. needs to be sub $1k for the most part. I welcome the recommendation for any other good options. If you've got one for sale that meets the criteria, point me in the right direction to find it.

1. Bushnell HDMR w/g2 reticle. 5MIL turrets w/o zero stop. (I'm thinking I can probably find one of these used for around $900 if I keep my eyes open in the WTS section)
2. Vortex viper pst FFP 6-24x w/ebr-2c reticle. I like the illumination and zero stop capability. Looks like they are going for $950 new. Doubt I'll find a used one with the EBR-2C reticle. I'm a big fan of the EBR-2C with Illumination. Vortex warranty seems to be second to none.
3. SWFA SS 3-15 MRAD. I like this scope, and I've had hands on with it. I would prefer a different reticle, but I think this scope deserves consideration.
4. Bushnell elite tac 6-24 w/g2 reticle. This would be a familiar platform as it's mostly identical to what I was using, but it would have the necessary magnification.
5. SIGHTRON S-TAC 2.5-17x56. Illuminated reticle, sightron glass...
6. SIGHTRON SIII FFP 6-24x50. I've heard good things about the quality of glass used in the SIII line. Still not the reticle I'd prefer, but deserves a mention too.
7. Weaver tactical 3-15 w/ illuminated EMDR. Seems to be a well thought of scope, Illumination is nice.

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can give.

The Burris xtrii 5/25 can be had for like $50 more than your budget. Seems like a nice scope. Hopefully I will know soon

I would get a used 5-20 SSHD if I were in your boat, primarily, if you don't care about a GAP-type reticle.

I can personally vouch for the Sightron SIII glass and even it's ability for dialing in comps. The clarity, even at 1200 is great for the money IMO. I did zero a stage at the Grind because it lacked a zero stop, but most of your choices will have that issue. Plus, that's more of a personal discipline issue than a scope issue in my book.

The reticle works pretty well, despite the fact that it's not fancy or the latest.

For what its worth, I own two Bushnell G2 DMR's and love them. But they are all I own, so I can't really compare them to anything else. You can get a new G2 DMR for $1100 shipped from liberty optics (just add it to your cart).

I like the dmr with g2 as I've had some hands on with a couple my buddies own. I just lost out on a new one going on eBay for 1k flat. Kicking myself.

Vortex have a good thing going but that's my opinion. Good bang for the buck. No pun intended lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I'm an absolute newbie, but extremely anal when spending (my) money. I researched for about 2 months before I bought the Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50. with what I learned, and what features were recommended it seemed to me to be the best value.

I haven't used it yet due to a broken foot, and I have nothing to compare it against, so my opinion is basically worthless.

I did, however, increase my post count :D

I'm thinking of trying that one out as well. I like the ss HD idea, but I'm not a big fan of the reticle. An HDMR is always a good choice, but the pst has my attention for some reason. Even the stupid things like the fiber optic lines on the turrets and the illumination I'll never use. The zero stop is pretty much the same principle as what I used on my elite tac. I bought nylon washers and stacked then appropriately for my zero so that I couldn't go more than a few clicks past my zero.