• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes help me decide what to do with my Leupold MK 4

DJ 480

RECON
Minuteman
  • Sep 25, 2011
    Ok here is the deal, I have a mk4 8.5-25x50 M5 turrets on my TRG22 and love it so far. I recently got some time behind a viper pst 6-24 FFP I honestly could not see any difference between the leupold and the vortex. Now If I sold my mk4 I could get a viper and have some extra money. Now here is the question would you sell the mk4 for the viper? and if yes or no why?

Re: help me decide what to do with my Leupold MK 4

Nope don't run it hard, what's that have to do with anything? Are you saying one is not durable?

I'd take a mark4 over a Viper any day but thats just me. I'd keep it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take a mark4 over a Viper any day but thats just me. I'd keep it... </div></div>

what are your reasons?

what is your experience..I apprciate the post but it really does nothing for helping me

I've never had a Viper and I am sure it has good glass, but I would bet the leupold is more durable. But let's say its not; how much money are you going to save by selling your leupold on the used market and then buying a new Viper? Is it worth unmounting a perfectly functioning scope, to have to remount and rezero again??
    I would say no way. The few bucks you save; if any will be spent before you know it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take a mark4 over a Viper any day but thats just me. I'd keep it... </div></div>

what are your reasons?

what is your experience..I apprciate the post but it really does nothing for helping me </div></div>

Dude, you are going to sell a used mk4 to get a viper..At the most you are talking about making maybe 300 dollars? Save you money and then sell your leup. when funds become available for a nightforce, S&B, or any other high end scope. The viper is not all that different from the mk4. I feel the mk4 is just built better, just my 2 cents.

Here are a few videos we did on the Leupold line. Hope this helps you. We try to keep them in stock.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YOZkhouebm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CuygTsi7Lpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

I just sold all my leupold scopes and while they still held their value. Too much better stuff out there. If yours is the ffp I would trade up for premier, uso, et al when you can.

Interesting. I just bought a mark 4 M5 to take place of my viper 4-16 pst because the glass quality was lacking for my taste. I thought my scope was defective until i looked at another 4-16 pst at my local shop and it had the same sight picture as mine. It's not bad, mind you, but all the other awesome features of any scope out there are useless if you can't see what you're aiming at!
    My pst is a month old. I'll sell it to you for $825 shipped...

No brainer for me, I would keep what I have as the Leupold is not giving you any trouble and you seem happy with it. Never know what you might get once you sell it

I have a mk4 8.5-25 great glass for the price. Bought it used on the hide it tracks great and looks good. Leupold has a good name and puts out a quality product. There is a reason they have so many government contracts. Good product good price. Why sell something that you know works for something you could end up not being happy with.

Let me get this right, you have a scope that has great glass, great internal mechanics and want to get rid of it for one that has good(not great) glass and good internals because you think you will get some left over funds?

Two things will happen, (1)you won't be happy unless you do this, and (2)after you do you will kick yourself in the ass and regret it.

You have a better scope now, I would keep it were I in your shoes. If you want to upgrade, move up to a Nightforce or a Steiner.

I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket

I have a mark 4 that I have beat the piss out of.
    It works so well its kind of boring. It has great glass and I have dialed it from 100, to 633,to 1013,to 1380 and all the way back down again with no problems. Good luck with however you go.

I have run my 4.5-14 up and down to 1,000 on a 223 an back which is a 50 MOA trip ,some days up and down 7-8 times and it is always back dead on at 100 when I reset the knobs,,I wish it was FFP but I LOVE my Leupolds,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket </div></div>

totally. that $10 will be long gone after you factor in the sunshade and ard youll have to throw on though

Do all that just to maybe make couple hundred bucks? No way. MK4 is the better scope anyway.

I have a Mark 4 in 6.5-20 milldot and I couldn't be happier. Great glass tracks spot on robust and reasonably priced. NF or S&B are not in my price range. I have no experience with the pst but I love my mark 4.

Mk-4 to Viper , NO,NO,and NO !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket </div></div>

THIS!
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket </div></div>

THIS!
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

lol this is the reason I mainly just view posts on this site and rarely post..thank you for helping me relize that again..After spending much time behind optics in real world situation in both Afghanistan and Iraq I realize a phone call to a fellow shooter in my community is prob better advice than here.

thank you all again lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket </div></div>

THIS!
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

lol this is the reason I mainly just view posts on this site and rarely post..thank you for helping me relize that again..After spending much time behind optics in real world situation in both Afghanistan and Iraq I realize a phone call to a fellow shooter in my community is prob better advice than here.

thank you all again lol </div></div>

ps I appreciate those with actual imput worth reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok here is the deal, I have a mk4 8.5-25x50 M5 turrets on my TRG22 and love it so far. I recently got some time behind a viper pst 6-24 FFP I honestly could not see any difference between the leupold and the vortex. Now If I sold my mk4 I could get a viper and have some extra money. Now here is the question would you sell the mk4 for the viper? and if yes or no why?</div></div>

NO, I would not

Sell it, add few $$ and get Premier, S$B or Kahles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sell it, buy 6 nc star scopes, duct tape them end to end and have a super sweet 400 power monocular walking stick, and a hot ten spot in yer pocket </div></div>

THIS!
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

thank you all again lol</div></div>

If youve spent so much time in real deal scary life behind optics in not only iraq but also afghanistan why are you asking the internet if you should sell a scope you admitted you loved for something else,just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    If youve spent so much time in real deal scary life behind optics in not only iraq but also afghanistan why are you asking the internet if you should sell a scope you admitted you loved for something else,just sayin</div></div>

Because you can't put anything that's not true on the internet.

Ill tell you why hes doing this. Because this site has him believing that PST's are better than Mark 4's.

Personally, I would not trade the Leupold for the Vortex (if you could help it). I have had great experiences with all of my Leupold optics, they are build great and the glass is clear.

But if you really need the money, well you got to do what you got to do..

If you decide that you need to get rid of it now, PM me with disposal information... (had to try as I see this comment requently)

Good luck and Shoot Straight,
    Josh

FWIW, I sold off 3 Mk4’s (all mil reticles and moa knobs) and replaced them with 4 vortex mil/mil midway exclusives and used the extra to get a B&C stock.