• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me find a LR Hunting Scope

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
First off, I'm not new to scopes and know the differences out there. I'm pretty well versed in the high mag match scopes but I'm looking more for a scope for a LR hunting rifle. I currently have a Razor AMG on my match rifle and don't want to move it over. I also have a Gen 2 PST 5-25 on my hunting rifle but it's too big and I want locking turrets so I'm probably going to sell the PST to fund this purchase

Here's my criteria
3-18, 4-16, etc. would be ideal (illum reticle would be a benefit)
FFP
Relatively Lightweight
Compact
Mil/Mil
Locking turrets
Price isn't an issue. I'm probably leaning towards alpha glass just for Low light scenarios

I realize I'm basically describing the AMG but I want a more compact package for a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
dude says budget unlimited and you guys reccommend a luppy and a bushy??? lol stop it we are supposed to be snobs on the hide.

pretty much 4 options in unlimited budget arena
-ZCO 4-20 (phenominal scope) fits all criteria easily best option.
-TT 3-15 no locking knobs
-s&b ulta short 5-20 fits all criteria
-march 3-24 no locking knobs

tighter budget
-Luppy MK 5 3-18
-Burris XTR3 3-18
-Bushnell LRTSi or varient
-Votex AMG

First priority should be tracking. cheaper the scope more hit/miss the tracking gets. I just plain wouldnt spend less than $1k on a hunting scope. or comp scope for that matter. too much invested overall to have a scope failure. all the above should treat you very well.

GL
DT

I defend my post! Lol OP’s original post said price negotiable.

Reactions: D_TROS
TT315LRH MRAD fits the bill.

F81A70E1-46F8-45A3-9D13-02B8C5BEBC88.jpeg

I agree with most of the options recommended above. Since you said that budget doesn't matter I would recommend the Schmidt & Bender 4-16x56 PM II Ultra Bright Tremor3, I run one on my 7mm Practical hunting rifle, best low light performance in my opinion, amazing clarity and low light performance. I have used it to bag elk with the last few slivers of light in Arizona out to 700 yards.

Reactions: CShooter92
I’ve been running a Mk5 3.6-18 for my hunting rifles for 3 years. Great low light performance, tracks 100%, locking elevation/ capped windage. It’s everything I need in a LR hunting scope. I’ve used it on game from 80- 700 yards, and steel to 1000.

Another vote for the TT 3-15 M or LRH. The LRH has locking turrets and a little more hunting friendly reticle. I have had ZCO, S&B US, Kales 3-18, Leo MK-5 and my TT 3-15M Gen2 xr is by far my favorite for a pure hunting application, it just check all my boxes - FOV, awesome turrets, very forgiving parallax and 27oz. My next scope will be the TT LRH just for the reticle, the locking turrets are of no consequence as I have never had an issue with my M model accidentally turning. Most of the above scopes are all alfa glass and are all good choices.
Lot of great options
Good luck!

IMG_2408.jpg

Last edited:
dude says budget unlimited and you guys reccommend a luppy and a bushy??? lol stop it we are supposed to be snobs on the hide.

pretty much 4 options in unlimited budget arena
-ZCO 4-20 (phenominal scope) fits all criteria easily best option.
-TT 3-15 no locking knobs
-s&b ulta short 5-20 fits all criteria
-march 3-24 no locking knobs
This post nails all the major players. I have (had the March but sold it for a third TT315M) all of these scopes.
TT315M is lightest of these. Short, great turrets, insane glass, but "only" 12MIL of elevation. I have 3.
S&B PMII 5-20×50US or even the 3-20×50US are amazing scopes. And can be found used quite often. I have one of each.
ZCO 4-20×50. Heaviest of the bunch. Best reticles in my opinion. Glass is as close to TT as you can get. Turrets are amazing too. I have 2.

Last edited:
Mark 5 TMR illuminated. I would struggle to suggest a non illuminated for hunting. I personally use a non illuminated because the rules say so, but on the low end the reticle is hard to find in dark backgrounds. I haven't had time to seriously hunt in years so for my "harvesting" purposes it serves me well.

I have avoided TT and ZCO as I don't need to buy one, but if they're within budget they deserve a serious look.

I never really use my illumination on any of my scopes at low light. The TT LRH reticle on low power reminds of of the old Zeiss Z-plex. I played w this reticle at the last few min of light and had no issues.