• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me hoard high end rifles before elections

And what are the "others".... I'm assuming you mean 5.56? Cause I've watched plenty of vehicles stopped by 5.56.... and what does "stop a vehicle" mean... cause why shoot the vehicle when you can shoot the driver lol.

Seems like a vague statement
Is this a hint for me to get a semi auto .50 BMG? Now THAT is a SHTF gun

Reactions: WoobieJ
Is this a hint for me to get a semi auto .50 BMG? Now THAT is a SHTF gun
Was thinking the same thing. If we’re all shooting through engine blocks with our fiddies, man is the world burning down.

So I’ve bought quite a few more rifles since this thread started, and am nearing completion... you guys helped a lot!
Where I still need some guidance: I’m buying a lot of high capacity magazines for each rifle. The advice I got was 20 per gun. I’m wondering, for a typical magpul or lancer, any idea how many rounds can go through one of those before they need to be replaced?

Can’t find much on google... I’m wondering if it should really be more than 20 mags per firearm., if we’re talking about a lifetime supply. Once they’re banned that’s it...

Thoughts?

The 308 has one big advantage over the others, it can stop a vehicle much better than the others your looking at. I have a rich uncle that is buying more 308 rifles for his troops also, so ammo might be easier to find in a "troubled time".

That is not necessarily true. A 6.5mm will have a significantly better sectional density per weight and be better on hard targets if needing penetration for a stop. If you mean using surplus AP, yeah, not sure any of that is available in 6.5mm. You could run solids.

Reactions: Gustav7
So I’ve bought quite a few more rifles since this thread started, and am nearing completion... you guys helped a lot!
Where I still need some guidance: I’m buying a lot of high capacity magazines for each rifle. The advice I got was 20 per gun. I’m wondering, for a typical magpul or lancer, any idea how many rounds can go through one of those before they need to be replaced?

Can’t find much on google... I’m wondering if it should really be more than 20 mags per firearm., if we’re talking about a lifetime supply. Once they’re banned that’s it...

Thoughts?

Don’t buy polymer magazines if looking at lifetimes. The springs wear out from cycling but springs are unlikely to be banned. It takes a lot of magazines of ammo to wear them out, thousands upon thousands of rounds. Then you just swap them. The problem you’ll run into is feed lips on the polymer magazines. Many are starting to reinforce them but I’d just snag metal mags and avoid the issue. You can weld and repair metal a lot easier than polymer.

Don’t buy polymer magazines if looking at lifetimes. The springs wear out from cycling but springs are unlikely to be banned. It takes a lot of magazines of ammo to wear them out, thousands upon thousands of rounds. Then you just swap them. The problem you’ll run into is feed lips on the polymer magazines. Many are starting to reinforce them but I’d just snag metal mags and avoid the issue. You can weld and repair metal a lot easier than polymer.
The Magpul and Lancer are $15 and have a reputation for good reliability. You wouldn’t just buy a bunch of those? The metal is heavier, and can deform if banged hard.
Do you know which metal magazines are high quality and reliable?

Gunmag warehouse has a special on Pmags if you buy 10, so I just saved you some $$. If you're worried about feed lips deforming Lancer has steel feed lips. Honestly, Pmag must be doing something right since they have largely supplanted traditional aluminum mags.

Although I'm sure it's happened, you don't really hear about mags wearing out. And assuming they're good for 10,000 rounds and you have 10 per gun, you only start having problems after 100,000 rounds. And by then you'll have shot out 5 barrels and replaced a bunch of buffer springs.

Finally, I haven't done any research, but I have to believe there are places you can still buy surplus military aluminum mags, if you decide to go this route. Only caution I can give you on these is that if they are older they won't have anti-tilt followers (the piece of plastic between the spring and the round). You used to be able to buy a ton of replacement followers for these types of mags for very little money. So if you go this route that would be a good investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1911addict42
Gunmag warehouse has a special on Pmags if you buy 10, so I just saved you some $$. If you're worried about feed lips deforming Lancer has steel feed lips. Honestly, Pmag must be doing something right since they have largely supplanted traditional aluminum mags.

Although I'm sure it's happened, you don't really hear about mags wearing out. And assuming they're good for 10,000 rounds and you have 10 per gun, you only start having problems after 100,000 rounds. And by then you'll have shot out 5 barrels and replaced a bunch of buffer springs.

Finally, I haven't done any research, but I have to believe there are places you can still buy surplus military aluminum mags, if you decide to go this route. Only caution I can give you on these is that if they are older they won't have anti-tilt followers (the piece of plastic between the spring and the round). You used to be able to buy a ton of replacement followers for these types of mags for very little money. So if you go this route that would be a good investment.
If 10,000 round can go through a PMAg and Lancer I should be good to go

Mags are a consumable item. Have an appropriate number for use, for training, plus enough in reserve for replenishment. You stated these are legacy items to be left to your children so more than you need is a good answer.

Mags are a consumable item. Have an appropriate number for use, for training, plus enough in reserve for replenishment. You stated these are legacy items to be left to your children so more than you need is a good answer.
I'm with you- I'm just trying to determine what "enough" is, so I can buy more than that. 20-30 per gun sound about right?
Just bought a safe a month ago, should have bought a bigger one.

16 rifles, about 175 magazines, and 7,000 rounds of ammo into this, beginning to feel prepared for this years elections.

What’s enough for bloodline? How does one quantify that value?

7000? I have more 22LR alone.

1911Addict - I've been shooting and buying guns for 20+ years. I probably have a few more guns than you, but not a lot. Be surprised if I have more than 60-70 mags and that's across several calibers. Maybe 30-35 AR15 mags.

Ammo - I do have more than you, but I've been hoarding for years and used to live in a state where it was almost impossible to buy ammo on line. So when I found ammo at a good price and a company willing to ship into my state I would buy a lot. With ammo, they're going to keep making it and hopefully we're never going to come to the point where purchasing ammo is illegal. The biggest factor is cost. Talk to anyone who has shot for a while and they will bore you with stories of when very good quality mil surplus .308 could be bought for 17-20 cents a round and 100 round boxes of Winchester 9mm could be found at Walmart for under $10.

Talk to anyone who has shot for a while and they will bore you with stories of when very good quality mil surplus .308 could be bought for 17-20 cents a round and 100 round boxes of Winchester 9mm could be found at Walmart for under $10.

So last year? 🤣

I'm with you- I'm just trying to determine what "enough" is, so I can buy more than that. 20-30 per gun sound about right?
Just bought a safe a month ago, should have bought a bigger one.

16 rifles, about 175 magazines, and 7,000 rounds of ammo into this, beginning to feel prepared for this years elections.

Standard load out per man (gun in your case) is 6-8 mags . 10 per gun is more than sufficient, 20 is value added, and 30 is just American 🦅🇺🇲. You do you man, congrats on all the purchases! 'Merica 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

Last edited:

Please search google for “pmag feed lips”. This is not an isolated issue and happens more often that you’d think, especially if you store full magazines. Lancer is a better option in this regard. I wrote the previous based on my own personal experience, which lead to me selling off 30+ pmags years ago.

What’s enough for bloodline? How does one quantify that value?

7000? I have more 22LR alone.
Haha I didn’t know 22 counts as ammo!
I just bought 6,000 of those.
All my ammo purchases have been during the shortage. When it clears up I’ll press on the gas.

I'd buy a few quality rifles in 7.62x39. It's about the only ammo thats still obtainable at reasonable prices. All the high end rifles in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't feed them.

Since I first posted this, here’s what I’ve done:
Exchanged the 2 Wilson Rangers for ARP in .300 AAC
1 DD PDW 300
1 V Seven 300 blackout
1 Radian Model 5.56
4 .22 pistols for training
JP GMR15 for wife

Practically speaking I’m unsure if there’s any reason for larger calibers like .308, I don’t hunt or shoot professionally, competitions etc. I am keeping the JP for myself but for the kids...
is there any reason to have more calibers than 9mm, 5.56 and 300? .308 it’s cool for its power, but for a practical civilian use?

maybe I’m done...

Last edited:
Since I first posted this, here’s what I’ve done:
Exchanged the 2 Wilson Rangers for ARP in .300 AAC
1 DD PDW 300
1 V Seven 300 blackout
1 Radian Model 5.56
4 .22 pistols for training
JP GMR15 for wife

Practically speaking I’m unsure if there’s any reason for larger calibers like .308, I don’t hunt or shoot professionally, competitions etc. I am keeping the JP for myself but for the kids...
is there any reason to have more calibers than 9mm, 5.56 and 300? .308 it’s cool for its power, but for a practical civilian use?

maybe I’m done...

I think I’ve answered this in another post or two for you already, but based on your stated goals, no. 300 is also a waste, but it’s “fun” to shoot subsonic suppressed. If you want a longer range cartridge, go 6.5 Creedmoor over 308, no question. If you aren’t shooting out past 600 or hunting there’s no real point, though.

Also 4 22lr pistols for training seems overly redundant, two pistols and two rifles would make a lot more sense.

Is this list your total list or just what you bought recently? It is very skewed from the advice I and others haven given you in the last 8 pages of posts. If that’s your total cache, you’ve really gone off the rails and effectively wasted money based on your stated goals.

I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if someone already suggested them yet but I would say this to anyone: If you can get a noveske
After owning several high end ar15’s like Daniel defense kac sr15, bcm. Lmt.
My noveske’s were the sweetest rifles. Wish I had them today. They were the most accurate of all and the best part with that accuracy was they all shot the cheap federal 55 grain 223 ammo under an inch when I was going for tight groups. Each barrel shot that ammo the same. One was actually built by pk firearms too and the other two were factory built.
They ran reliably like the rest mentioned but their top notch for me. They weren’t picky when it came to accuracy and ammo variation.
Noveske’s are pricy but with what I got I had no issue a few years back. Todays times might make that a stretch for most.
My experience on all three rifles was with their stainless 1/7 polygonal rifling pac nor barrels.
If it’s stainless it’s got a pac nor barrel. I wouldn't complete an ar collection with out one in it. Speaking of I need to start looking again too. Lol

I think I’ve answered this in another post or two for you already, but based on your stated goals, no. 300 is also a waste, but it’s “fun” to shoot subsonic suppressed. If you want a longer range cartridge, go 6.5 Creedmoor over 308, no question. If you aren’t shooting out past 600 or hunting there’s no real point, though.

Also 4 22lr pistols for training seems overly redundant, two pistols and two rifles would make a lot more sense.

Is this list your total list or just what you bought recently? It is very skewed from the advice I and others haven given you in the last 8 pages of posts. If that’s your total cache, you’ve really gone off the rails and effectively wasted money based on your stated goals.
You may have addressed this, but I too can’t remember. A lot of information here.
Your view on .300 blackout is not shared by many others. I’ve done enough research on it, and shot it enough, to know that it’s an excellent, versatile round, for many reasons that You’re probably aware of, so I won’t list them out.
These are recent purchases and not the total cache.
When I say pistol btw, it’s an AR pistol with an 8 inch barrel and pistol brace.
As for 6.5/308 I thought something like Tavor 7 could have a place, but can see that there’s probably no point.

I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if someone already suggested them yet but I would say this to anyone: If you can get a noveske
After owning several high end ar15’s like Daniel defense kac sr15, bcm. Lmt.
My noveske’s were the sweetest rifles. Wish I had them today. They were the most accurate of all and the best part with that accuracy was they all shot the cheap federal 55 grain 223 ammo under an inch when I was going for tight groups. Each barrel shot that ammo the same. One was actually built by pk firearms too and the other two were factory built.
They ran reliably like the rest mentioned but their top notch for me. They weren’t picky when it came to accuracy and ammo variation.
Noveske’s are pricy but with what I got I had no issue a few years back. Todays times might make that a stretch for most.
My experience on all three rifles was with their stainless 1/7 polygonal rifling pac nor barrels.
If it’s stainless it’s got a pac nor barrel. I wouldn't complete an ar collection with out one in it. Speaking of I need to start looking again too. Lol
I’d love to get a noveske but I can’t find one anywhere. So many others feel the same way you do!

You may have addressed this, but I too can’t remember. A lot of information here.
Your view on .300 blackout is not shared by many others. I’ve done enough research on it, and shot it enough, to know that it’s an excellent, versatile round, for many reasons that You’re probably aware of, so I won’t list them out.
These are recent purchases and not the total cache.
When I say pistol btw, it’s an AR pistol with an 8 inch barrel and pistol brace.
As for 6.5/308 I thought something like Tavor 7 could have a place, but can see that there’s probably no point.

I think you're good with a few .300blk... its a legit niche round and has its purpose.

Personally, I don't think you should listen to the haters of P-Mags. I've ran enough, in ridiculous conditions, beaten the shit out of them, and they still work. If you have 20 mags per gun, I doubt you're gonna keep all of those loaded (and you shouldn't). Keep half or more in the plastic for backup and storage. A Pmag unopened 30 years from now will still get you thousands and thousands of rounds.

Side Note -- No one's QC is perfect. Expect one or two duds out of 175 mags at least.

Diversify. Buy Lancer, buy Pmag, IMO forget the GI aluminum shit unless thats all you can get. Are HK steel mags more durable? prolly... but at like twice the weight and 3x the cost...is it really worth it? YOu could get 2 extra pmags and theres a good chance they'll last just as long.

I think you're being pragmatic and you're good to go.

Personally I would get at least 2-3 AK's and a buttload of 7.62x39. One of the most commons guns and calibers in the U.S.
Personally I would also get 1-2 more Battle Rifles in .308. FN FAL, M1A, HK 7.62, etc. .. thats just me though.

I think you're good with a few .300blk... its a legit niche round and has its purpose.

Personally, I don't think you should listen to the haters of P-Mags. I've ran enough, in ridiculous conditions, beaten the shit out of them, and they still work. If you have 20 mags per gun, I doubt you're gonna keep all of those loaded (and you shouldn't). Keep half or more in the plastic for backup and storage. A Pmag unopened 30 years from now will still get you thousands and thousands of rounds.

Side Note -- No one's QC is perfect. Expect one or two duds out of 175 mags at least.

Diversify. Buy Lancer, buy Pmag, IMO forget the GI aluminum shit unless thats all you can get. Are HK steel mags more durable? prolly... but at like twice the weight and 3x the cost...is it really worth it? YOu could get 2 extra pmags and theres a good chance they'll last just as long.

I think you're being pragmatic and you're good to go.

Personally I would get at least 2-3 AK's and a buttload of 7.62x39. One of the most commons guns and calibers in the U.S.
Personally I would also get 1-2 more Battle Rifles in .308. FN FAL, M1A, HK 7.62, etc. .. thats just me though.
Is it really niche? All major manufacturers are now making or starting to make .300 rifles.
300 blackout appears to be the perfect caliber 300 yards and under. Subsonic and supersonic rifle that performs optimally in a compact lightweight platform.
I think the ATF position on the pistol brace was a game changer... ammo cost is a negative, but as it gets more popular it should change.

I’ve looked at the Galil Ace in 7.62x39 but not clear on what it offers over .300 besides for better reliability? which is meaningful but not sure it’s so relevant for civilian use?

In my area the supermarkets were all bare, top to bottom within two days of the virus scare starting.

At that point I decided it would be a wise investment to prepare and make myself able to hunt the larger game in my area. Hence, .308 seemed a fair choice.

Im glad that people aren’t that into it, as compared to 5.56 etc. My local stores were out of everything except ‘some hunting rounds’ aka match grade .308.

Is it really niche? All major manufacturers are now making or starting to make .300 rifles.
300 blackout appears to be the perfect caliber 300 yards and under. Subsonic and supersonic rifle that performs optimally in a compact lightweight platform.
I think the ATF position on the pistol brace was a game changer... ammo cost is a negative, but as it gets more popular it should change.

I’ve looked at the Galil Ace in 7.62x39 but not clear on what it offers over .300 besides for better reliability? which is meaningful but not sure it’s so relevant for civilian use?

I didn't mean niche as in its scarce. I meant niche as in it fills a niche in the cartridge offerings, which IMO means it has a very valid place in your arsenal.

Nothing wrong with a Galil Ace, but i'd buy a few nice Arsenal or Rifle Dynamics Ak's. The ammo is everywhere, and will most likely be easy to get in the future, its cheap. In a SHTF scenario its everywhere. AK's are easy to get parts for, especially if you go American made like Rifle Dynamics, magazines are plentiful and inexpensive. Both Arsenal and Rifle Dynamics are top of the line, RD being custom, and should have a pretty good resale value.

Ballistically, its not really any different than .300blk, so take that for what its worth.

Gee, we've really covered a lot of ground here - from rifles to ammo to optics to calibers to mags. Clear that reasonable minds can differ on these issues. Not that anyone asked, but I do have a couple of quick comments.

300 BO - I honestly haven't bought any ammo for a while and in this market will wait and hope prices come back down. The last time I bought 300 BO it was about .60 per round for decent stuff, which was about twice the cost of 5.56. However, I do own 2 300 BO uppers and for 7-12" barrels I really think this is the way to go. Ballistics are just better. And I kind of like the recoil of 300 BO, seems slightly less sharp than 5.56 - but maybe that's because one of my uppers is a KAC. Also nice that you don't need a different mag or even bolt carrier group for 300 BO. Plus, if you shoot suppressed subsonic are supposed to be the cat's meow.

AK's - Just not a fan, although I've never owned a high quality U.S. one. Stock is great if you're 4'11", but doesn't fit me at all. I shoot much better with some kind of optic and they're tough to mount on an AK. The triggers suck and until I upgraded mine I had trigger slap as well. Yes, ammo is cheap but you get what you pay for, which in the case of most of the surplus ammo that's available is 2-3MOA. Plus, while the loose tolerances may mean that you can drag it through the mud and it will still shoot, it just feels like the cheap rifle it is.

Mags - I know I'm going to be in the minority here, and I agree that no one ever said, "Gee, I wish I have fewer 30 round mags." Still, I just don't see the need to stockpile hundreds of mags. I have one rifle case that I usually use to transport my AR's in. Have a couple of mags in the attached pouches and I just use those over and over again. I've never really done a round count, but they certainly have thousands of rounds through them. Never had a problem with any of them. I do have approx. 30+ mags just sitting unloaded in some ammo cans and maybe I'll dip into those when my current mags start failing. But to me a mag has roughly the same life as a barrel (a gross generalization, I know). However, even if a barrel has three times the useful life of a mag, you don't hear of people stockpiling 2-3 barrels per rifle. Finally, seems like people have been stockpiling mags for years. By now there must be millions and millions of mags out there. Surely I'll be able to find some widow looking to unload her newly deceased husband's stockpile of 30 round mags for a "fair" price.:)

Tavor - OP has asked about this rifle in a number of posts. Was just out shooting my Tavor this afternoon. 100% reliability. 16" barrel in a package that's shorter than a 12" AR. Heavy, but really well balanced. What's not to like? (Well maybe the crappy stock trigger). To me the ergonomics are pretty intuitive and with a little practice mag changes are almost as fast as with an AR. Plus, offhand I'm able to shoot this rifle at least as well as any rifle I own. The light weight front and heavier back just seem to work for me.

Gee, we've really covered a lot of ground here - from rifles to ammo to optics to calibers to mags. Clear that reasonable minds can differ on these issues. Not that anyone asked, but I do have a couple of quick comments.

300 BO - I honestly haven't bought any ammo for a while and in this market will wait and hope prices come back down. The last time I bought 300 BO it was about .60 per round for decent stuff, which was about twice the cost of 5.56. However, I do own 2 300 BO uppers and for 7-12" barrels I really think this is the way to go. Ballistics are just better. And I kind of like the recoil of 300 BO, seems slightly less sharp than 5.56 - but maybe that's because one of my uppers is a KAC. Also nice that you don't need a different mag or even bolt carrier group for 300 BO. Plus, if you shoot suppressed subsonic are supposed to be the cat's meow.

AK's - Just not a fan, although I've never owned a high quality U.S. one. Stock is great if you're 4'11", but doesn't fit me at all. I shoot much better with some kind of optic and they're tough to mount on an AK. The triggers suck and until I upgraded mine I had trigger slap as well. Yes, ammo is cheap but you get what you pay for, which in the case of most of the surplus ammo that's available is 2-3MOA. Plus, while the loose tolerances may mean that you can drag it through the mud and it will still shoot, it just feels like the cheap rifle it is.

Mags - I know I'm going to be in the minority here, and I agree that no one ever said, "Gee, I wish I have fewer 30 round mags." Still, I just don't see the need to stockpile hundreds of mags. I have one rifle case that I usually use to transport my AR's in. Have a couple of mags in the attached pouches and I just use those over and over again. I've never really done a round count, but they certainly have thousands of rounds through them. Never had a problem with any of them. I do have approx. 30+ mags just sitting unloaded in some ammo cans and maybe I'll dip into those when my current mags start failing. But to me a mag has roughly the same life as a barrel (a gross generalization, I know). However, even if a barrel has three times the useful life of a mag, you don't hear of people stockpiling 2-3 barrels per rifle. Finally, seems like people have been stockpiling mags for years. By now there must be millions and millions of mags out there. Surely I'll be able to find some widow looking to unload her newly deceased husband's stockpile of 30 round mags for a "fair" price.:)

Tavor - OP has asked about this rifle in a number of posts. Was just out shooting my Tavor this afternoon. 100% reliability. 16" barrel in a package that's shorter than a 12" AR. Heavy, but really well balanced. What's not to like? (Well maybe the crappy stock trigger). To me the ergonomics are pretty intuitive and with a little practice mag changes are almost as fast as with an AR. Plus, offhand I'm able to shoot this rifle at least as well as any rifle I own. The light weight front and heavier back just seem to work for me.
Is that the Tavor 7? Some have spoken of the X95, but it didn’t appeal to me more than a .300 AR. But in a .308, that’s something else.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but the whole Sig MCX Virtus line is great.
Looks excellent but I'm avoiding the proprietary stuff, including B &T. Trying to stick with easily accessible parts, and companies that will be around a long time. (Sig fits one of two). I made an exception for KAC because, it's KAC.

No, not Tavor 7. Actually it's the predecessor to the X95, the SAR.

I to have some interest in the Tavor 7, although I would really want to shoot one and get some sense of the recoil before I put my money down.

Also, I already have to AR10 type rifles and honestly I shoot my AR15's about ten times as much. .308 semi-autos are heavier and have more recoil and, to me, are generally tougher to shoot well. If I'm just punching holes in paper or shooting steel no reason to shoot the .308 unless I'm going out to 400 yards and beyond. And if I'm shooting at those ranges my first choice would always be a bolt action rifle in 6.5CM. I can generally hold sub MOA out to about 600 yards, something I simply can't do with my semi-autos. And although I don't hunt, I would think a well chosen 6.5 CM round would be more than adequate for any deer/elk you would want to shoot.

And if you're looking for knock down power, particularly at relatively short ranges, 300 BO and decent shot placement should be adequate. Or you can just get a big bore AR15 (i.e. 50 Beowolf or .458 Socom), but ammo is expensive and hard to come by and recoil is pretty stout. However, if you're looking to really ruin someone's day, hitting them with a 300 grain projectile moving at about 2000 fps should do it.

No, not Tavor 7. Actually it's the predecessor to the X95, the SAR.

I to have some interest in the Tavor 7, although I would really want to shoot one and get some sense of the recoil before I put my money down.

Also, I already have to AR10 type rifles and honestly I shoot my AR15's about ten times as much. .308 semi-autos are heavier and have more recoil and, to me, are generally tougher to shoot well. If I'm just punching holes in paper or shooting steel no reason to shoot the .308 unless I'm going out to 400 yards and beyond. And if I'm shooting at those ranges my first choice would always be a bolt action rifle in 6.5CM. I can generally hold sub MOA out to about 600 yards, something I simply can't do with my semi-autos. And although I don't hunt, I would think a well chosen 6.5 CM round would be more than adequate for any deer/elk you would want to shoot.

And if you're looking for knock down power, particularly at relatively short ranges, 300 BO and decent shot placement should be adequate. Or you can just get a big bore AR15 (i.e. 50 Beowolf or .458 Socom), but ammo is expensive and hard to come by and recoil is pretty stout. However, if you're looking to really ruin someone's day, hitting them with a 300 grain projectile moving at about 2000 fps should do it.
This is the issue we have... everyone is sold out so tough to go check out a weapon before purchasing it. We have come to the same conclusion regarding the 300 Blackout. For it's intended purpose, does a lot of things very well.
Maybe when the stores are restocked I'll revisit the .308.

After some of the feedback I've gotten recently, I’ve actually been leaning much more towards 5.56 and .300 blackout for practical purposes... other than hunting and long range practice it seems there’s very few scenarios where the .308 seems to have a use. Make sense?
negative. Id go 5.56/.223, skip out on .300 BLK, get a PWS 7.62x39 instead, and get a SR-25, Noveske, LMT, JP, or Seekins.
.308 has a lot of uses. especially if you're needing to lay down some hogs, deer, yotes, or two legged aggressors.
6.5 Creedmoor is also very useful and does many jobs well.

Reactions: Puget Shooter

Thoughts?
Magpul mags.
for PWS, get C-Products mags (duramag).

negative. Id go 5.56/.223, skip out on .300 BLK, get a PWS 7.62x39 instead, and get a SR-25, Noveske, LMT, JP, or Seekins.
.308 has a lot of uses. especially if you're needing to lay down some hogs, deer, yotes, or two legged aggressors.
6.5 Creedmoor is also very useful and does many jobs well.
Care to further explain your view on the .308/6.5?

I found a Barrett Rec7, Piston and DI. Anyone familiar with these, and thoughts on its price to performance value? I think someone here talked about it a few weeks ago.
I know DI vs Piston is also endless debate, but also wondering on that too.

Last edited:
You could leave a few guns for the rest of us, speaking for the masses, we'd greatly appreciate it if you'd take a break for a couple weeks so we'd have a shot at picking something up :)

I have a couple of piston uppers. PWS is the lightest and softest shooting and has been 100% reliable. It's also pretty accurate.

SIG has been phasing out it's 516 model. There were a few lucky b*st*rds that managed to buy them directly from Sig for $400 - a ridiculous price. Those were snapped up in about 24 hrs. If you search very hard, and are pretty patient you might be able to find one for $600, still a smoking deal, but if you see one you have to be lightning quick. I thought I was going to snag one from Aimsurplus for $500. Had it in my cart. But by the time I located my wallet and put in my credit card info (about 3 minutes after I put it in my cart) they were out of stock.:(

And you really don't want to get into the whole DI vs. Piston debate. Let's just say the pistons run cleaner but tend to be heavier and leave it at that.

I found a Barrett Rec7, Piston and DI. Anyone familiar with these, and thoughts on its price to performance value? I think someone here talked about it a few weeks ago.
I know DI vs Piston is also endless debate, but also wondering on that too.

The Rec 7 is awesome. Skip the DI, Barrett just offered it as a slightly cheaper alternative, but the piston was always the flagship of the rifles.

Barrett does not have a bad rifle in their lineup. I have a few of their offerings and I can’t say enough good things about them. I’ve been considering an MRAD for years but always get stuck on there being no left hand option.