• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me hoard high end rifles before elections

The Rec 7 is awesome. Skip the DI, Barrett just offered it as a slightly cheaper alternative, but the piston was always the flagship of the rifles.

Barrett does not have a bad rifle in their lineup. I have a few of their offerings and I can’t say enough good things about them. I’ve been considering an MRAD for years but always get stuck on there being no left hand option.

FWIW, all the 6ARC they shipped to the DoD are DI. DI and pistons are apples and oranges, there is no one "best" for every use case, they both have tradeoffs. I've moved from piston systems to DI, because I'd rather clean a little more often and have the recoil impulse/front weight balance I prefer, especially already tacking on suppressors and so forth.

FWIW, all the 6ARC they shipped to the DoD are DI. DI and pistons are apples and oranges, there is no one "best" for every use case, they both have tradeoffs. I've moved from piston systems to DI, because I'd rather clean a little more often and have the recoil impulse/front weight balance I prefer, especially already tacking on suppressors and so forth.
Speaking of pistons, I have been seeing quite a few LWRC rifles available. They are priced as if they are top tier, like Noveske and KAC, but I see many people complaining about their performance and/or reliability. Others love it. I don't know what to make of it.

Speaking of pistons, I have been seeing quite a few LWRC rifles available. They are priced as if they are top tier, like Noveske and KAC, but I see many people complaining about their performance and/or reliability. Others love it. I don't know what to make of it.

Issued the LWRC m6-ic or whatever its called. Everyone hated it. Heavy, bad trigger, dumb rail design that required picatinny add-on sections to mount stuff. Kept breaking parts (oprod/piston assemblies had to replaced in several rifles if I recall correctly). Lot of feeding issues. But hey it had a cool spiral fluted barrel.

Other guys may like it, but for a hot, dry and dusty environment it wasn't great, but it sure did look cool lol...

I've seen some really dumb threads on here recently, mostly by newer people, but this one has to be the dumbest of all.

JMMV

MM

No One Cares GIFs | Tenor

405 comments on this 9 page thread....and yours is the least useful one lol

Anyone who has to ask the dumbass question asked by the OP, or you, if you think it's meaningful, is also a dumbass, so GFY.

MM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheBigCountry
Lol! Those numbers have increased to 20, 250 and 10,000 respectively since I posted that. I’m working on it.
The one thing I’m missing from the arsenal is a serious SHTF gun.
I’m seriously considering getting a Barrett .50BMg, but I see a pretty big range on price for those. The semi auto is priciest at around $12,000, but I’m wondering if practically speaking, rapid fire can even be done with that kind of ammunition. Is there a reason to step up to the pricier version or simply get the bolt action which I think is half the price at around $6,000?
I don’t expect to ever need to use it, nor is there anywhere around here to even practice. But I do think it will become a collectible and increase in value over time...

Last edited:
Lol! Those numbers have increased to 20, 250 and 10,000 respectively since I posted that. I’m working on it.
I’m seriously considering getting a Barrett .50BMg, but I see a pretty big range on price for those. The semi auto is priciest at around $12,000, but I’m wondering if practically speaking, rapid fire can even be done with that kind of ammunition. Is there a reason to step up to the pricier version or simply get the bolt action which I think is half the price at around $6,000?

If you're just buying for giggles, which you clearly are buying a 50BMG, get the bolt. They tend to be more accurate. Just know you're shooting almost $4 downrange with every trigger pull, won't be able to shoot it at most ranges, and in general have a very heavy and clunky weapon with a TON of blast from the massive brake it needs. They're a complete waste unless you're trying to compete in ELR, and even then, there are far better options. They have 0 value in a SHTF scenario for a normal person.

Also, don't get caught up in the hoarding competition with numbers. People are nuts. You'll end up with 100k+ rounds of ammo you'll never be able to exhaust even if all new ammo was banned tomorrow. You're not going to be doing mag dumps for weeks straight in any reasonable scenario. I'm going to be very surprised if you even shoot out a single barrel you have, are you stocking up on all those too? You'll blow through accuracy on those before you get through your ammo stash if you start playing that game with these guys. :) 100k rounds is 19 years of 100 rounds a week, every week. I'd invest in reloading gear and components if you plan on shooting that much, you'll save money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1911addict42
If you're just buying for giggles, which you clearly are buying a 50BMG, get the bolt. They tend to be more accurate. Just know you're shooting almost $4 downrange with every trigger pull, won't be able to shoot it at most ranges, and in general have a very heavy and clunky weapon with a TON of blast from the massive brake it needs. They're a complete waste unless you're trying to compete in ELR, and even then, there are far better options. They have 0 value in a SHTF scenario for a normal person.

Also, don't get caught up in the hoarding competition with numbers. People are nuts. You'll end up with 100k+ rounds of ammo you'll never be able to exhaust even if all new ammo was banned tomorrow. You're not going to be doing mag dumps for weeks straight in any reasonable scenario. I'm going to be very surprised if you even shoot out a single barrel you have, are you stocking up on all those too? You'll blow through accuracy on those before you get through your ammo stash if you start playing that game with these guys. :) 100k rounds is 19 years of 100 rounds a week, every week. I'd invest in reloading gear and components if you plan on shooting that much, you'll save money.
The .50 BMG is largely a novelty item that I think in 20-30 years will be worth a lot of money. It’s not going to be purchased for practical reasons, but I’d still rather buy the “right” one.

Same goes for my stockpiles. To a large degree it’s a place to put my money that will at the very least, keep up with inflation, and can always be easily sold, particularly ammo.

Cash is trash!

I don’t expect to ever need to use it, nor is there anywhere around here to even practice. But I do think it will become a collectible and increase in value over time...

You only have 500 rounds for every rifle (on average) and that's less than I shoot on a day at the range. I'd hold off on buying more rifles and start buying ammo. In my opinion, you need at least 5000 rounds of ammo for every rifle. Remember, after the election (regardless of who wins) you probably won't find anyone selling ammo. The stores will be out of it, there will be very little to be bought in the secondary market. Forget about reloading. Powder is gone right now. Primers are more rare than hen's teeth. I guess you can cast your own bullets if you don't mind shooting lead (if you can find the lead).

With 20 firearms, you've got a good start, but without enough ammo, those 20 rifles quickly become clubs.

You only have 500 rounds for every rifle (on average) and that's less than I shoot on a day at the range. I'd hold off on buying more rifles and start buying ammo. In my opinion, you need at least 5000 rounds of ammo for every rifle. Remember, after the election (regardless of who wins) you probably won't find anyone selling ammo. The stores will be out of it, there will be very little to be bought in the secondary market. Forget about reloading. Powder is gone right now. Primers are more rare than hen's teeth. I guess you can cast your own bullets if you don't mind shooting lead (if you can find the lead).

With 20 firearms, you've got a good start, but without enough ammo, those 20 rifles quickly become clubs.

You can find just about any powder within a month right now online, same on primers. Local availability is better. Just throwing out that it’s not impossible, I’ve been buying continuously for the last year. You just have to set alerts. I’m set for years so will weather this storm but just as the OP has proven so far, it’s never too late to start. Best day was years ago, second best is today.

There are only 3 rifles that I am using right now. The rest are going into storage for kids/investment. I’ll also be training with a .22 AR pistol for the near future. That said, every day I’ve been buying more ammo and putting it away. Don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

Trust me from someone who has a 50bmg, they aren't all that you think they will be. They are expensive to shoot recreationally. If you think it will make a good SHTF rifle, unless you live on 40 acres and don't have many trees, tactically, they're probably no more relevant than a 308 or some magnum caliber. Your hearing will take a hit for every round from a 50bmg. I use ear plugs and ear muffs and that's the least I would use. Not exactly a prime choice in a tactical situation. Ears are just as important as eyes at these times.

Again, BUY AMMO, lots of AMMO.

Reactions: 1911addict42

the M107A1 is around that 12k mark but the M82A1 is right around 8. You can usually pick one up with the optic and rings for right on that mark.

the M107A1 and M82A1 are very similar. The M107 went on a diet with an aluminum upper. It also has the cheek pad and the muzzle device for a suppressor.

unless you plan on suppressing it or lugging around everywhere, I don’t see much benefit to the M107.

FWIW, the M82A1 is by far and away my favorite gun to shoot. It’s a blast. Literally.

Trust me from someone who has a 50bmg, they aren't all that you think they will be. They are expensive to shoot recreationally. If you think it will make a good SHTF rifle, unless you live on 40 acres and don't have many trees, tactically, they're probably no more relevant than a 308 or some magnum caliber. Your hearing will take a hit for every round from a 50bmg. I use ear plugs and ear muffs and that's the least I would use. Not exactly a prime choice in a tactical situation. Ears are just as important as eyes at these times.

Again, BUY AMMO, lots of AMMO.
The guys have discouraged the .308 unless it’s for long range sniping or hunting.
And ammo prices, man, I’m watching it skyrocket by the hour. Hornady 75 BTHP that I was buying a few weeks ago for .65-.70 is pushing $1.00

Last edited:
What are you buying the guns for? Didn't I say a 308 was to be used for somewhat long range shooting (sniping if you want to call it that).
As mentioned before, to a large degree, mostly as a safe place to plant cash into something that will safely retain value and keep up with inflation. And in case it doesn’t, as an heirloom to pass on. So it should be something that has a purpose ideally.
As we speak, my son is watching finding Nemo for the 8,000th time this summer. Maybe I need to pick up a Nemo 😊

Pick up a nice reloading progressive press and you won't need to buy as much ammo. I would think you could buy the supplies, when available, and be a long way ahead, plus you'll be able to reload all the ammo you've already purchased. Buying the pieces and storing them might be just as good or better than buying more ammo at this point. Teaching your kids to reload when they are older would be a skill that they carry with them.

the M107A1 is around that 12k mark but the M82A1 is right around 8. You can usually pick one up with the optic and rings for right on that mark.

the M107A1 and M82A1 are very similar. The M107 went on a diet with an aluminum upper. It also has the cheek pad and the muzzle device for a suppressor.

unless you plan on suppressing it or lugging around everywhere, I don’t see much benefit to the M107.

FWIW, the M82A1 is by far and away my favorite gun to shoot. It’s a blast. Literally.

I have a Barrett MRAD 6.5CM (new to long distance shooting), got lucky and picked it up new few months back for under $5K. Added a NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 Tremor 3 for a little over $3K more. I got it so can swap out barrels and different calibers easily, and if some new whiz bang caliber comes out, can change it out easily.

The military is replacing the 50BMG with 338 Norma Rounds with an MRAD. Per Kevin Owens FieldCraft Survival, who was in charge of Sniper Program Selection for SOF (recently retired) and ultimately the Army, Marines, and Navy branches of the service selected the MRAD.

Bought a 50 BMG a number of years ago when the news media was putting out ridiculous stories about how, if a terrorist got his hands on one, he'd be able to shoot 747's out of the sky. Afraid they were the next thing that was going to be banned. Still think that's a possibility down the road, but they are pretty impractical. I probably have 4-500 rounds stockpiled, most of which I bought when ammo was less than $2 per round. The problem is that most ranges don't allow you to shoot them, and certainly not at steel; they are loud as f*ck, ammo is expensive and it is a tough round to reload, and the gun is so large, heavy an unwieldy it's like carrying around a piece of artillery. Plus, in my experience, most of the cheaper ammo that's available isn't all that accurate, so even though you can theoretically reach out to 1000 yards you're not going to be all that impressed by what you're able to hit.

However, if you're determined to buy one, do some research. Barrett is of course the mfg. everyone knows about, but there are a bunch of other good alternatives, some of which will be a lot less expensive. Or you could try to find something used. You should save a bunch of money and it unlikely that the prior owner will have shot it all that much.

I have a Barrett MRAD 6.5CM (new to long distance shooting), got lucky and picked it up new few months back for under $5K. Added a NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 Tremor 3 for a little over $3K more. I got it so can swap out barrels and different calibers easily, and if some new whiz bang caliber comes out, can change it out easily.

The military is replacing the 50BMG with 338 Norma Rounds with an MRAD. Per Kevin Owens FieldCraft Survival, who was in charge of Sniper Program Selection for SOF (recently retired) and ultimately the Army, Marines, and Navy branches of the service selected the MRAD.

the MRAD and M107/M82 are designed for two different roles. The M107/M82 was never designed to be a sniper rifle, and it says as much in the manual. They were designed as anti material rifles.

Comparing the two is like comparing a Peterbuilt to Ferrari.

the MRAD and M107/M82 are designed for two different roles. The M107/M82 was never designed to be a sniper rifle, and it says as much in the manual. They were designed as anti material rifles.

Comparing the two is like comparing a Peterbuilt to Ferrari.

The MRAD 338 Norma is the replacement for anti material for the 50BMG, just repeating what the guy who was in charge of the program stated. Your knowledge on the gun itself, lruely and respectfully likely 1000% more than me. My source:

Last edited:
The MRAD 338 Norma is the replacement for anti material for the 50BMG, just repeating what the guy who was in charge of the program stated. Your knowledge on the gun itself, lruely and respectfully likely 1000% more than me. My source:

I wasn’t debating whether the MRAD was replacing it, apologies if it came off that way. I was just stating that they are two different types of rifles. Either way, Barrett still doing well for themselves with military contracts!

Reactions: Mischievous
This post made me make a profile, I love this! I'm doing the same thing brother, things have become much worse since you posted this in 2020. My wife gets exactly what I'm doing, the forced vax ans covid cause her to have heart issues. I'm at 17 firearms now, Have 2 SCARs, Vector, Noveske Ghetto Blaster, SIG MPX Copperhead, SBR custom AR suppressed, AR suppressed, a bunch of others. But I'm also going to gunsmithing school and getting a cerakote cert. Going to start an FFL making custom rifles. Also, love seeing a "jew boy" packing heat. Half of my family are Jewish and they all hate guns, it's like they don't get history. I'm a huge fan brother, going to keep an eye on this form, as I have kids too and worry about their future. I spent a lot of time in the Army and Pentagon and saw some serious corruption from our government officials. My next purchase will be a GQ Paladin Carbon, it's such a nice firearm. I agree with the Accuracy International, that's on my list too.

Oh yeah, I also want to mention since I saw the SCAR 17 mentioned a lot. The SCAR 17 now has the non-reciprocating charging handle or SCAR 17 NRCH. Less recoil now, doesn't eat optics, no punching the finger. It's why I have 2 17s, one has the RCH and one is NRCH in FDE. It might be worth it now for you to go back and shoot a NRCH, you won't be disappointed boss. In the Army the 16s didn't last but the 17s we kept. I'm not a huge fan of the 20s, I rather get an Accuracy International at that point in .308, I think it's the AT model.

There needs to be a more organized effort to help those who want to purchase a firearm navigate laws, and encourage ownership. I think about it a lot. As a born and bred New Yorker , I can tell you there is a lot of fear around guns and it’s not good...
I'm from New Jersey and New York, this is 100% truth. I moved to Alabama and met my wife a southern girl. Changed my whole perspective, I was like, wow, so this is what freedom is like?