• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me identify this Rem 700

st34lth

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
Hi all,

Came into possession of a 700 in 300RUM. My question now is what model is the damn thing and how can I tell?

It has the stainless fluted barrel and black w/ webbing stock. It appears from the remington site it is either the Sendero or the VS SF II.

I want to determine if its a short or long action and would assume it would be printed on the barrel. It says "Remington 300 Ultra Magnum" so I assume its not the SA but I'd like confirmation that the RSAUM say something on the barrel to indicate.

It looks like this -> http://www.remington.com/~/media/Im...Model-700/Model-700-VS-SF-II/700VS-SF-II.ashx

Re: Help me identify this Rem 700

As a Ultra Mag, it will be a long action on an ultramag action (it runs a 0.75" bolt instead of a 0.70" bolt)

The picture is a "Sendero Fluted II"

Does the stock have a palm swell on it?

It has a small palm swell but it would appear by the pictures on the Rem site that both the Sendero and the VS SFII have that.

Would the barrel be marked as Remington Short Action if it was an SA?

One more thought - the rifle I got has two eyelets on front of the gun as shown on the VS SF II on Rem's site BUT my rifle is def 300 RUM which apparently is not available on that model - only the Sendero. Now I'm more confused.

The "eyelets" are sling studs. The difference between a Sendero II and a Sendero Fluted II is the fluted barrel.

What makes a "short action" a short action is not what's stamped on it, it's how long the action is. That is obvious enough that even Remington doesn't stamp it on anything.

It's entirely possible that the second stud was installed in the stock after the fact, it isn't a hard job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The picture is a "Sendero Fluted II"
</div></div>

As far as I know SF stands for <span style="font-style: italic">Stainless</span> Fluted. At least VS SF stands for Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted.

If its a 300 RUM then tis going to be a long action. Post a pic up and we will be able to tell you better....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: st34lth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thought - the rifle I got has two eyelets on front of the gun as shown on the VS SF II on Rem's site BUT my rifle is def 300 RUM which apparently is not available on that model - only the Sendero. Now I'm more confused. </div></div>

I wouldn't pay to much attention to that detail. It is possible that there are different versions of the stock or that someone has photoshopped away the second sling stud.

VS SF 2 has a short action and is only available in varmint style calibers such as .204 Ruger and .22-250 Remington. If your rifle is chambered in .300 RUM it is clearly not a factory VS SF 2.

Does your rifle have black flutes?

Sendero SF 2 has black flutes. Its predecessor, the Sendero SF, does not have painted flutes.

I have the same rifle, without pics it's hard to say 100% but pretty sure it's a standard sendaro stainless fluted with web HS percision stock. Mine has the same setup with one stud my buds has two that's simply a matter of what run and year the HS stock is. Ours are marked the exact same on the box.

Hey bohem, Remington only has one bolt diameter,.700. It does not matter what caliber it is. It is still .700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey bohem, Remington only has one bolt diameter,.700. It does not matter what caliber it is. It is still .700. </div></div>

Wow, that's news to me, one of the gunsmiths that I see regularly swears otherwise on the 338LM and RUM actions.

I'll double check on it, but he's been adamant about that when I thought they were all .70 nominally. Thanks for the heads up.

I just got done with customers rifle that was a factory 338 ultra mag. I put on a new Mcgowen barrel in the same caliber. The factory bolt actually measures .695.

Yes the barrel is stainless and the flutes are black.

Lrt - the rifle is EXACTLY like the picture with the only exception being the two studs up front. Is yours 300RUM also?

While I'm asking - how do you like it? How is the barrel life?