• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me pick one (maybe two?) scopes, or convince me to stay with what I have.

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I came into a minor windfall and think I would like to upgrade my glass. I currently have decent scopes, so maybe it doesn't make sense, but that is what I would like the Hide Mind's advice on.

What is the platform for the scope? AI AT
What cartridge are you shooting? .308 with an eye to getting a barrel in 6.5 creedmoor
What is your intended use for the scope? Mostly bench but would like PRS as an option
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Mostly daylight
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-1000+yds
Are there any specific specifications you would like? I would like a durable and reliable scope and a tree reticle.
What is the price range you can afford?
I could go up to $4000 in a pinch, but wouldn't mind saving money.
Note: I currently have a 1st Gen Kahles 6-24 that is fine, so I could keep that if there isn't something compelling.

What is the platform for the scope? LMT MWS
What cartridge are you shooting? (.308 (20") with an eye to 6.5 creedmoor
What is your intended use for the scope? (Bench and PRS, maybe hunting deer)
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? (Daylight mostly, some dawn and dusk)
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? (100-1000+yds)
Are there any specific specifications you would like? (As above, durability, reliability, a tree reticle (hopefully the same reticle as above) and not super heavy would be great)
What is the price range you can afford? Depending on if I can sell the other scopes I could maybe go to $4000 on this one as well
Note: I currently have a Nightforce 4-16x42f1 ATACR with the Mil-R reticle that I could use for this rifle if there isn't anything worth upgrading to. Otherwise I could sell it.

So is it worth upgrading one or both of the scopes? If so what do people recommend? I have had good luck with NF, the ZCO is apparently the greatest thing since sliced bread, and TT has some interesting options. Anyone I'm missing?

Thanks

Reactions: CSTactical
I came into a minor windfall and think I would like to upgrade my glass. I currently have decent scopes, so maybe it doesn't make sense, but that is what I would like the Hide Mind's advice on.

What is the platform for the scope? AI AT
What cartridge are you shooting? .308 with an eye to getting a barrel in 6.5 creedmoor
What is your intended use for the scope? Mostly bench but would like PRS as an option
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Mostly daylight
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-1000+yds
Are there any specific specifications you would like? I would like a durable and reliable scope and a tree reticle.
What is the price range you can afford?
I could go up to $4000 in a pinch, but wouldn't mind saving money.
Note: I currently have a 1st Gen Kahles 6-24 that is fine, so I could keep that if there isn't something compelling.

What is the platform for the scope? LMT MWS
What cartridge are you shooting? (.308 (20") with an eye to 6.5 creedmoor
What is your intended use for the scope? (Bench and PRS, maybe hunting deer)
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? (Daylight mostly, some dawn and dusk)
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? (100-1000+yds)
Are there any specific specifications you would like? (As above, durability, reliability, a tree reticle (hopefully the same reticle as above) and not super heavy would be great)
What is the price range you can afford? Depending on if I can sell the other scopes I could maybe go to $4000 on this one as well
Note: I currently have a Nightforce 4-16x42f1 ATACR with the Mil-R reticle that I could use for this rifle if there isn't anything worth upgrading to. Otherwise I could sell it.

So is it worth upgrading one or both of the scopes? If so what do people recommend? I have had good luck with NF, the ZCO is apparently the greatest thing since sliced bread, and TT has some interesting options. Anyone I'm missing?

Thanks
I would suggest buying one ZCO 527, MPCT3 and go from there. They are superb. I could easily see you liking it so much that you buy a second.

I would say you have some good scopes to begin with but like you said ZCO is the best thing since sliced bread. I actually just upgraded 2 of my scopes. One is the ZCO 5-27 on my bolt gun the other is the ZCO 4-20 on my AR10. Now I did not have anything you would consider a good scope to begin with and with the ZCO having the free Spuhr mount this is a pretty good deal. I purchased the 5-27 and after getting it I really wanted to get the 4-20 but did not know if I could afford it. I ended up getting it. I know the deal has been extended to the end of the month. Now if I had the kahles and Nightforce to begin with I don't know if I could have taken the plunge on both. But if you have the money maybe it is the time to get one and see for yourself.

Reactions: TacosGigante
$4,000 in training and bullets will out preform any scope you upgrade to.
Rifles Only PR1-2, all in with lodging $2,000ish
$2,000 in reloaded match grade ammo (if you already reload) 4,000 loaded rounds
Federal Gold Metal Match 500 rounds $450ish, equals a bit over 2,000 rounds
Just my thoughts hope it helps.

I have an older scope (....not even close to the same league of your Kahles) and for some reason i was becoming a bit dissatisfied with the scope. Thought long and hard about upgrading, was actually very close to doing so. Recently took a class with a great group of people, lots of different scopes and platforms amongst us. The reality is i did just fine....maybe even better than fine.

This is a tough time for so many of us economically speaking. Unless your scope is disappointing, failing or keeping you from accomplishing what you hope to accomplish..... then perhaps holding off on an upgrade is in order.

I'm slowly learning to both use and enjoy my equipment.

ZCO, without question. The free mount sale has been extended, so that's going to be a great choice. I also know where you may
be able to pick up two, lightly used, MPCT-1 5-27s after this weekend.

If you are actually going to take the advise, lol; then keep the scopes you have. You have some good glass. Good enough that a decent markman could get any job done I think. However, I've never seemed to let that stop me from "upgrading".

If you only have the two rifles though, then you should get the best glass your conscience can afford. It's not about need, it's about want. am I right?

If you are actually going to take the advise, lol; then keep the scopes you have. You have some good glass. Good enough that a decent markman could get any job done I think. However, I've never seemed to let that stop me from "upgrading".

If you only have the two rifles though, then you should get the best glass your conscience can afford. It's not about need, it's about want. am I right?

Haha true.

I think the optics you have now are good and don't see an issue with running them. To get a real noticeable improvement I think you'd have to go with a ZCO, TT, or similar. When I was last buying an optic I looked at the NF, Kahles, and ZCO side by side at Mile High and the ZCO stood out from the rest with better clarity and a more natural color temp. With the included mount, it is a heck of a deal right now. The MPCT2 is their Christmas Tree reticle (3 adds a ranging V in the upper portion of the glass, but isn't on sale right now).

Here's a ZCO in the Spuhr on an my AI.
IMG_20200513_172829.jpg