• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick the best 2k “hunting” scope

meestermeetch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
I am building a hunting rifle.
ARC Nucleus short action with a 16" Light Palma barrel and Dead Air Sandman S run by a Trigger Tech Special, mounted in a Manners EH4 mini chassis stock, with a Harris bipod, if at all. The whole thing should be pretty light and a great hunting rig out to 500 yards which is all I see to and would feel ethical harvesting game at (just me).

I am looking at a few optics. I want something short and light, that I can mount in low rings, want a objective no smaller than 30 and no bigger than 50, want a zoom range of 3ish to 20ish. Has to be illuminated. Has to have accurate turrets with a zero stop, and I prefer a capped windage. Hoping to spend $2500 or less on optics.

I already own and really like MK5 3-18, (and 5-25, and 7-35, love them for match guns) but don’t really want another. I shoot at PRS matches regularly so between that and all you animals, I am getting to be a glass snob. This rifle won’t see a ton of use so a $3500 scope isn’t right and my un- illuminated match optics won’t pull hunting duty...

Thinking about:
NF NX8 in either 2-20 or 4-32,
NF ATACR in 4-16x44 or 4-16x50
(All with Mil-C or Mil-XT reticle)

I think the K318i, minox, ZCO 420 and the like are out of my budget, unless someone has a lead on a used one. Vortex is fine but not my jam and usually heavy.

Is there anything I am not thinking about I should be or a particular NF scope I should lean toward? I think I am favoring the 4-16x42, but am pretty torn on what to do.

Thank you
MM

NF 4-16x42 ACTAR. You don’t need to get the 50 it won’t make a difference. Also, I agree that if you can jump on a used k318i or ZCO 420 then jump on that, but otherwise great choice in what you’re leaning towards already.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Eurooptic just put their schmidt bender klassic on sale, i have their schmidt bender zenith on a hunting rifle. Its a amazing scope for hunting, i prefer my atacr 5-25 on my bench rifle.

Reactions: toader
Yeah AMG, and I might as well give the 3-24 March the obligatory shout out.

But the reality of the situation, @meestermeetch , is that you’ve stepped into a giant hole in the market. Your options for under 22ozs are straight 10x S&B, 3-24 March, 2-10 NF (SFP), 3-9 SWFA, S&B Classic with a Mildot, and a handful of other options that a guy could make work. If you come up on weight to 26ozs you can choose the 3-12 LRHS or Premier Light Tactical.

You can find threads on here going back 10 years where the market has been asking for a scope a lot like this one:
Not only does no one in the industry listen, but they will argue that hunters (you) don’t want that. Hunters (you) don’t need that, shouldn’t want it, blah blah blah. For crying out loud this hole is the reason the LRHS scopes exist. It’s gotten stupid, like Leupold with FFP and NF with tree reticles stupid.

So I have it narrowed down:
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50

The NX8 2.5-20x50 seems like I read really mixed reviews on. The 4-32 seems like overkill but a good scope. The 4-16x42 seems like the right choice but is the smallest (not bad) heaviest (by a little) and most expensive.

I haven’t found anything else in my size (less than 13” long), weight (less than 30oz), illuminated, price point (less than 2500) and target turrets and a reticle I like.

Anyone have any insight here based on the scopes I am considering? Or should be?

ATACR is a better scope. The 4-16 is one of the best x-over scopes available. They sell used for under 2k, and give up very little the best of the best.

I love my NX8 4-32!!!! Especially for a hunting rig, it’s super light.

Seems like the mark 5 3.6-18 would be a good fit, but you says you aren't interested in it. When I compared the NX8 and mark 5 I chose the mark 5. Definitely handle them both and the ATACR it is a lot heavier.

I picked up my k318i brand new on here for $2500.. if you’re patient and scour the PX like a feign they pop up for even better used. Consider minox or maybe a vortex razor lht?

I already own 3 MK5s I don’t want a 4th. They are great but I want some diversity.

The ATACR 4-16x42 weighs 30oz, the MK5 weighs 27oz, the NX8 weighs 29oz.

A K318i would be good, but I don’t know how patient I will be. Lol.

I went with the ATACR 4-16x42 on my "lightweight" rig. No regrets.

im running a kahles k318i on my lightweight custom .300wsm and love the scope but shes a tank.
could look into the Swarovski x5

My favorite so far is the vortex razor great glass love the illuminated dot not to heavy and under a grand

Hop on that 318i... good price OP

Why no love for the March F series? 3-24x42 FFP, 22oz and illuminated is available for +/-$2400.