• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Me Setup My SCAR 17

xanderzuk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Dallas, Texas
So I've had a SCAR 17 for the last couple years which I absolutely adore. I can shoot it nearly as fast as an AR15, it's incredibly accurate, even with milsurp ammo, and it has that cool factor, that je ne sais quoi, that keeps me coming back.

My cousin who's an NSW guy set his up as configured in the photo with the red arrow. I stumbled upon a SCAR 20 stock last week and threw it on mine (2nd photo) and man what a difference; the gun feels like it's locked in. Now I'm wondering what to do next as it just feels sort of unfinished. Should I chop to 13.9" and pin and weld? Go to 13" and SBR? Leave it at 16"? What optic or combination of optics should I put on it? I have a Sandman S to throw on as well.

I might just clone what's in that photo, but I figured I'd let you guys have some fun with it too.

Have at it!!

Attachments

• SCAR 1.jpg
    SCAR 1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 4,829
  • SCAR 2.jpg
    SCAR 2.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 3,771
Put a medium length kdg handguard on it, a vortex razor 1-10, a mototech bufferpad, mill off a sliver from the lower reciever grip tang (so you can put any ar15 grip on) pmm machine sling cup mounts, and a better trigger of your choice. Get some custom gas ports if you suppress, a muzzle device shoulder ring as well. Keep that mk20 stock on and you'll be very happy.

Reactions: the monk
I think that a LPVO is the way to go on a 17. I run a 1-8 ATACR on mine. May have considered the 1-10 Razor if it had been available at the time. Quality mount is an absolute must have. I use the ADM Delta.

PMM sling cups are nice to have. PMM also sells a variety of grips modified to work with the SCAR.

Geissele trigger and a good sling.

It's a battle rifle so I think your expectations may be a little overkill. But I think the recipe is a vortex 1-10, a geissele trigger, and a kdg handguard.

Everything that @ScarlettRed said are excellent add-ons and had all of them before I got rid of my 17. Need to also try to get ahold of parts which come in waves. Need to go though and setup notifications for replacement parts.

It's a battle rifle so I think your expectations may be a little overkill. But I think the recipe is a vortex 1-10, a geissele trigger, and a kdg handguard.

Everything that @ScarlettRed said are excellent add-ons and had all of them before I got rid of my 17. Need to also try to get ahold of parts which come in waves. Need to go though and setup notifications for replacement parts.

What part of my expectation is overkill?

Mines a 13” SBR sporting a PMM pre, and rzr 1-10. Spiritus sling and sandman S. Love it

New Geissele trigger at the bare minimum. My stock one was awful

So I've had a SCAR 17 for the last couple years which I absolutely adore. I can shoot it nearly as fast as an AR15, it's incredibly accurate, even with milsurp ammo, and it has that cool factor, that je ne sais quoi, that keeps me coming back.

My cousin who's an NSW guy set his up as configured in the photo with the red arrow. I stumbled upon a SCAR 20 stock last week and threw it on mine (2nd photo) and man what a difference; the gun feels like it's locked in. Now I'm wondering what to do next as it just feels sort of unfinished. Should I chop to 13.9" and pin and weld? Go to 13" and SBR? Leave it at 16"? What optic or combination of optics should I put on it? I have a Sandman S to throw on as well.

I might just clone what's in that photo, but I figured I'd let you guys have some fun with it too.

Have at it!!
Hi, I know this is an older post, but could you tell me where you found the SCAR 20 stock? I would love to pick one up in black?

As mentioned above, the mount is important. Not just for the recoil impulse but for the sake of your knuckles. The other charging handles may be able to resolve this but it seems like an Adhoc solution to a problem that is avoidable.

I also recommend getting a O MOA mount to ensure you can flip it to keep the throw levers/screws opposite whichever side you want the charging handle on…you’d hate to accidentally end up with a -20 MOA mount if you try and flip it to avoid knuckle obstructions. If you are committed to charging on one side and know the 20 MOA mount fits with it then you’re golden either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasgun
Not sure what monk meant about your expectations being overkill either. The 17 is VERY capable at 800 yards.