• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me spend some money...

USMAGator

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Enterprise, AL
This past November I found out that the funny lump on the side of my neck was a tumor of what turned out to be stage IV Lymphoblastic Lymphoma/Leukemia, and the last 6 months have been a crazy blur of doctor appointments, hospital stays, and chemotherapy sessions. Last week my oncologist looked at the latest test results and gave me and my family the great news that I'm in remission, and that I should be good to go after a few more rounds of chemo to make sure that we got it all!

My wonderful wife suggested that I buy a gun to celebrate making it through this chapter in our lives....I have to say, I like the way her mind works! I've had a few thoughts about what to get, but was hoping that folks here might have some suggestions for me. My number one at this point would be an M1A, I've always wanted one and my LGS has a handful on their wall that catch my eye every time I walk in. I already have an OBR that scratches my precision semi-auto itch, so this would be primarily for me to enjoy shooting with irons at paper and steel when I get the chance, not planning to chase the extreme accuracy bug with this one....at least not at this point!

For those that have been down this path, would I be best off just getting Springfield's "Standard" model, or taking the step up to the "Loaded" model? Is the trigger upgrade noticeable between the two? I don't think I need a match barrel, and I doubt that I'd ever be shooting far enough to notice the difference anyways. Any necessary or highly recommended upgrades for these to have a very enjoyable range toy? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and pictures are more than welcome to push me to make the purchase!

Man, I can't help but jump in even though I can't help for sh-- on the M1A suggestion. Congratulations on winning the uphill fight. Takes real courage and it sounds like you have a great wife as well...

Thank God the Cancer is in remission. The first gun I bought when I got out of the service in 1986 was a Springfield Armory National Match MIA. It truly is a great gun. I do not really know how it compares to what they are building today. Just a few points to make.

1) I do not think it makes much sense to put an optic on a rifle like this so on the iron sights, (I have the National Match irons) on the NM peep the aperture is smaller than standard. This is great for precision on paper, not so great if you are trying to find a moving critter. The NM aperture being smaller, it's just harder for me to find a moving target. The standard sights will get you on a big game sized target faster. The NM sights will let you shoot much tighter groups on paper.

2) Juliean Hatcher's book on the Garrand Predecessor to the M-14 is a good read.

Glad to hear a few more rounds of chemo and you're done. As for the choice the Standard Loaded is the best option for the least amount of money. If you buy a standard you are going to upgrade the trigger to a NM model that will end up costing about $150 for a good smith to work the standard trigger over. The front sight on the loaded is NM but the rear sight doesn't have the aperature and is called GI match. The med weight NM bbl on the loaded with 1/11 twist is an awesome bbl. I've had both standard and standard loaded models and if I ever buy another it will be no less than a standard loaded

Thank you, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. It sounds like the NM sights are more in line with the shooting I plan to do with this rifle, so I'll see if I can find a loaded model locally to handle and get a feel for. Thanks gents!

I have zero advice for the rifle, but want to say congratulations for 'beating' it...and hope it stays away, otherwise you and the docs are gonna have to kick its ass again.

Cancer took my Best Man a few years back, after having been in remission for 3 years. Unfortunately for him, it was deep in his brain and after 4 surgeries, they simply couldn't get any more out.

Congrat's, on your prognosis! I bought a loaded stainless, with a composite stock, when I started this "long range" hobby. After a scope, and various hand loads, I bought another gun for "accuracy". I couldn't get it to shoot under 2 1/2", at 100 yds,{could be me} without spending more on it. The scope came off, and she wears iron sights. It's a fine rifle, and I think "every shooter" should own one. In hind site, I wish I had the wood stock. If I "take her apart" and examine the composite stock, it flexes like a garden hose, and "isn't pretty". I like the classic look of the wood stock. Good luck, Josh.

Definitely the loaded over the standard. For a TON of info, the m14tfl forum is a great resource. oh, and congrats!

Congrats on remission!
I'm in the same boat now with a disease and IV infusions, etc., so i feel you and i too am building a semi-308 for my own victory.
Most important, it sounds like you got a great wife and the Hide is such a good site to kick it when in recovery.
To the point: I would get the standard M1A and spend the difference on .308, which is starting to trickle in just since you have an OBR to chase bugholes.
I'll bet it feels real good to have these types of decisions to make now! Have fun and keep your boot on top of that cancer!

Thanks everyone for the info and advice! Yesterday evening I went back to the LGS to see what they had on hand, and walked out with a standard synthetic model and a few extra magazines for under $1500, and think i'll finish it off with a wood stock from TreeLine when they come back into stock. I'm hoping to get out to the range this afternoon, and will definitely post up pictures and how it performs when I can!

Straydog - Thank you and good luck, stay strong and best the hell out of it!

Last edited: