• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me upgrade my Savage 10FP stock

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
This is the stock that I currently have:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...358#Post2538358

I want to upgrade the stock based on the following:
No bedding required (I suppose I need to chose one with Aluminum chassis).
Easy assembly (I just drop in the action and I’m done).
Needs to work with my future barrel (I’m planning to upgrade to a match grade barrel later)
Needs to be available with no long waiting time

After doing some research, I have narrowed down my options to these stocks:

Choate Tactical:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189892/...composite-black

Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint Tactical:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451874/...-gray-spiderweb

HS Precision: This is more expensive. Will my rifle shoot better with this compared to the Choate Tactical?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-404/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-M24/Detail

Stockade Prairie Dog Special/Tactical: I’m really hesitating for this one. Will it require bedding? Also there is a big price difference between the money saver version and painted stock.
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

Please advice on which one to chose and if the links I’ve posted are the right place to order them online.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

Re: Help me upgrade my Savage 10FP stock

The BC A2 Medalist Tactical is a very good stock at its price point...and Red Hawk Rifles is the best, cheapest place to buy them from.

There was a vendor here on SH that was closing out his Choate Tactical inventory and had a handful of Savage stocks left for a pretty good price...might do a search to see if you can find that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BC A2 Medalist Tactical is a very good stock at its price point...and Red Hawk Rifles is the best, cheapest place to buy them from.

There was a vendor here on SH that was closing out his Choate Tactical inventory and had a handful of Savage stocks left for a pretty good price...might do a search to see if you can find that. </div></div>

Thanks,
Red Hawk Rifles site and the BC A2 look great. I had already done some research on this site. But all the Savage stock that are for sale are for rifles with DBM (which mine isn't).

At $200 for the BC stock - it's a way better VALUE than $600 for a McM or Manners. I love me a McM stock, but my BC has been great. I skim bedded mine though.

I have a 10FP in .308 which within a few weeks the 'tupperware' original savage stock started warping. I researched and found that for my money, the Choate Ultimate Sniper was my choice. So far it hasn't let me down. A few weeks ago I got my replacement Konus M-30 scope back and after a thorough mounting process and zeroing, I was at the 600yd range and by the end of some trial and error, I was hitting 1/2 moa groups inside the 1 moa ring target (my handloads: 175gr. SMK, commercial brass, 44.4gr. of Varget and Federal LR primer, seated out to 2.850). The Choate stock is very hardy, and the imbedded v aluminum block fits well. The anshutz rail is good, and I've done some basic mods to the rear mono-pod and use it often. I ordered from Midway and they usually get it right.

Do you have a DBM?

If you do, you're limited.

The choate and B&C are heavy, the HS is quite a bit lighter.

I have used the Choate ultimate varmint and the B&C, the B&C was an upgrade and is a better stock though not as feature rich.

I recommend that you consider the ultimate varmint or the choate A5 tactical.

I have the B&C Medalist on 2 rifles, I like them. Great stock for the money. Still needed a Karsten for my giraffe neck. One of them I have in-letted for a DBM. Works great. Would I do it again? yep!
Good luck...
T

Go with the Stockade tactical, imo best stock for the money and best stock in the list. It comes aluminum bedded and contoured for whatever barrel contour you have, so there isn't a need to bed it, and you can add any custom features you want. Only negative is the wait, but if you're patient, you wont regret it.

What is it about the stockade that is making you unsure?
Call stockade and speak with him, he will take the time to answer all your questions, and will likely steer you toward the money maker.
I have my savage with him now getting looked at. After hearing all the praise for stockade, I would place his stocks at the top of those mentioned.

Oulawhoss; I also have a 10FP and if I go over 2.8 OAL the bullet gets stuck in the lands. I tried a 2.83 and the bullet once I got it out of the barrel had approx. .03 marks on it from the lands. When I bought the rifle the ad said 10FP LE, when it arrived the box said 10FP.

ive had 2 Choate snipers, GREAT stock, GREAT bedding... but heavy!

Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint Tactical: had this as well.. vary light!.. nice stock..

i ended up selling the B&C to get this

Right now I’m more leaning toward this B&C stock.
http://redhawkrifles.com/products/tactic...green-black-web

I just can’t get passed the look of the Choate Ultimate Sniper. I do like the Choate tactical though. But I get the impression that B&C might be a notch better.
Now regarding Stockade…I’m pretty sure that it’s the best option. The only problem is that I’m not that handy to get the money saver option. There is also the waiting time that can be a deal breaker (I don’t plan on shooting my rifle until I mount the new stock). I might still call Stockade just to see how long the wait is and if I could mount the money saver without doing any work on the stock.

Just throwing in my experience.... I have a 10FP and had been shooting it in the factory tupperware stock around 1MOA. I, too, was really wanting a McMillan or McCree but didn't want to wait the 3-5months or shell out as much for the stock as I had in the rifle.

So after a lot of reading, it was between the B&C as well as the Choate tactical (I too didn't care for the varmit or sniper stocks). The tactical and medalist are shaped very similar, but getting a Choate for $175 shipped sold me. I figured if is sucked eggs, I would just use it till a McMillan could be delivered.

Well, I just got to the range after moving my action to the Choate and I was able to hit clay targets at 830yds.... I'd say that is a vast improvement! I added a Karsten adjustable cheek piece, Kryloned the stock in GAP pattern, added a swivel 6-9" and ran with it. Moving the action over and re-mounting the scope, it was still spot on from previous zero, just a tad low.

After I wrestled with drooling over all these other beautiful custom rifles.... I think I'll shoot the old 10FP for a little while longer!

All that said, I think for $200, either the B&C or Choate are good choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fastex500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just throwing in my experience.... I have a 10FP and had been shooting it in the factory tupperware stock around 1MOA. I, too, was really wanting a McMillan or McCree but didn't want to wait the 3-5months or shell out as much for the stock as I had in the rifle.

So after a lot of reading, it was between the B&C as well as the Choate tactical (I too didn't care for the varmit or sniper stocks). The tactical and medalist are shaped very similar, but getting a Choate for $175 shipped sold me. I figured if is sucked eggs, I would just use it till a McMillan could be delivered.

Well, I just got to the range after moving my action to the Choate and I was able to hit clay targets at 830yds.... I'd say that is a vast improvement! I added a Karsten adjustable cheek piece, Kryloned the stock in GAP pattern, added a swivel 6-9" and ran with it. Moving the action over and re-mounting the scope, it was still spot on from previous zero, just a tad low.

After I wrestled with drooling over all these other beautiful custom rifles.... I think I'll shoot the old 10FP for a little while longer!

All that said, I think for $200, either the B&C or Choate are good choices. </div></div>

You got a really good deal for a Choate Tactical at $175 shipped. But right now, the best deal that I can find ($221) is more expensive than the B&C A2 ($200 for the black and $215 for other color combination). I also saw many topics on Choate vs B&C. While people agree that Choate is good, it seems that the finish on the B&C is a little better. So overall, for a slightly cheaper price, I think B&C makes more sense.

Hogrider: Yeah, it just shows one that every gun is different. I haven't seen anyone else's hand-loads seated out that far either, but at some point I had to jettison the flak on the internet and go off of real world data. I tried Hornady 178gr. BTHP and the ogive is significantly less and I could seat those out to 2.860 or so. Over time and many loadings of different seatings, this round at 2.850 just touches the lands. I've read many arguments and experiences about jump vs. jam, or being .015 off the lands, etc., and my experience with this round is consistently ragged single holes at 100yd and 1/2 moa or better at farther ranges. So with that kind of consistency I spend less ruminating at the reloading bench and more time developing real d.o.p.e. and skill. My 10fp with the Choate Sniper stock even shoots way better than my friend's Savage 110 BA in .338lm at the moment as he's not getting a consistent performing round and he's been reloading far longer than I. So that's my story- I'm not sure I've ever read or seen what the difference is between the 10fp and the 10fp LE. I think it was a model-year name change, or maybe the newer models come with the accu-stock; I don't really know. As I think about it, maybe the LE is more strictly chambered for SAAMI spec ammo (2.800 oal) because they buy the high-end factory loads . . . ? I can't imagine if a Savage tech would use different chamber gauges or spend more time dialing in the barrel for a LE designation; just speculation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the stock that I currently have:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...358#Post2538358

I want to upgrade the stock based on the following:
No bedding required (I suppose I need to chose one with Aluminum chassis).
Easy assembly (I just drop in the action and I&#146;m done).
Needs to work with my future barrel (I&#146;m planning to upgrade to a match grade barrel later)
Needs to be available with no long waiting time

After doing some research, I have narrowed down my options to these stocks:

Choate Tactical:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189892/...composite-black

Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint Tactical:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451874/...-gray-spiderweb

HS Precision: This is more expensive. Will my rifle shoot better with this compared to the Choate Tactical?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-404/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-M24/Detail

Stockade Prairie Dog Special/Tactical: I&#146;m really hesitating for this one. Will it require bedding? Also there is a big price difference between the money saver version and painted stock.
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

Please advice on which one to chose and if the links I&#146;ve posted are the right place to order them online.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

</div></div>

I have the same stockade you are looking at, I love it. After talking with Kevin you will never doubt anything he makes. Worth the wait, he is no BS and value oriented. I called wanting more expensive options and he talked through what I was doing with it etc and saved me money. I went with the money saver, really easy to finish. I sanded it and filled in some holes with Icing body fill you can buy at walmart. Sanded again and painte Krylon. Looks great and its really durable. I even sprayed with with some textured Rustoleum primer to make it "grippy" PM me for pics if you want but it is amazing.

I have a b&c a2 on a Stevens build and an a3 light tactical on a r700.
Wouldnt hesitate to buy another a3 if they made one for a savage/Stevens.

Kevin at stockade would get my money long before I get another b&c a2. Wish I had found stockade before I got the a2.

I have already placed an order for a B&C A2. I have no doubt that Stockade would have been a better choice. The main reason I chose B&C over Stockade, is the potential longer wait for Stockade.
Now I have only red good reviews on B&C A2 but I already know one thing I won’t like on the B&C. It’s that the aluminum only holds half of the first action screw that could potentially require pillar bedding (FYI my factory stock already came with Pillars on both action screws).

This is interesting. Since I got my stock I'm paying more attention to stocks that others have. I have noticed that almost everyone is buying the same color (olive with black web) regardless of the brand (Savage or Remington). I have never seen any other color combination (In other color, just saw one black so far and it just might be because it costs less).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered this.
http://redhawkrifles.com/products/tactic...green-black-web

for $232.71 shipped. Did hesitate about the color and was almost going to the black to save $15, but figured out this is more attractive and I'll probably be able to sell it easier if I ever decide to upgrade.

Any idea of what is the recommended torque on this stock? </div></div>

Been also deciding on which to go with and I like the HS versus the B&C. Never handled the B&C but I do have a winchester with the HS, I would like to handle a choate first. Can't decide on a HS or Manners, one thing for sure as I don't see many pics of Savages with the HS and without the beaver tail.

I have the medalist on my savage and my complaints about it are:
Weight (heavy)
Length of Grip from Trigger (I have small hands and prefer the ergo of the ar-15 style grip)

Gruff

Interesting thread for me. I have two relatively new 10 FPs (.308 and 5.56) with the 'Tupperware' stocks that are almost unusable because the combs are 2-3" too low for scope use.

I was looking at the B&C stock but appreciate finding the other alternatives listed in this thread. I really like the features of this adjustable <span style="color: #FF6666">Manners stock</span> but like someone said above, I hate to pay as much for the stock as I did for the gun.

You won't regret spending the coin for a Manners or McMillan stock. I've got a Manners T2 on a 10FP and a McMillan A5 on a 110 long action and both are great.

Manners has a centerfeed (4.41") T2A in their ready to ship section right now.

That said, the B&C A2 Medalist provides fantastic value for ~$200, though it is heavier than either custom stock and the blocky forearm is not very ergonomic. Then again, that's nothing a sanding block, some fiberglass filler and Krylon can't fix.

Thanks for the info BoilerUp. I've learned the hard way that 'buy once, cry once' is usually a good philosophy.

Ring,

On the Mcree stock did you have to modify the ar-grip that I see in the picture or is that how it ends up after mounting with that space between the trigger guard and the grip

Gruff

If you want to stay cheap, the Bell and Carlson is a great stock.

I have many of them, and they haven't let me down yet.