• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help on where i stand with my rifle.

steelflight

You may think before you act. Did you listen?
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2023
Utah
I have a modified 7.62x54r yes a modified mosin. I'm nearly done with the refit. Changing the bore to 308 and cleaning up the trigger have this girl a singer. Its been a slow experiment because the cartridge has shown to be a great one. I reload and greatly enjoy the constant science.

My question is what competition line of shooting can I take this Americanized Russian to preform. I'm seeing that most rules are not appreciative of a .30 cal rifle that would ahoot 180 to 200 grain bullets. Can you all point me in a proper path.

So, you have a mosin that you re-chambered into 308 win, and you are handloading 200 grain bullets for it? I'm not a 308 guy, but don't most of those rounds usually top out at 175 gr?

Reactions: Gentleman4561
Nope you misunderstood. It still uses the 7.62x54r casing it fits a 308 bullet just fine with nothing more then a bore change. It's comparable to the 30-06. Shoots a 180 grain quite nicely

If you changed the barrel I don't think it would be legal for CMP VMR matches as it is no longer "as issued", not sure on the Vintage Sniper rules. Is nothing that would prohibit you from shooting metallic silhouette though.

Given the nature of it looking for local "outlaw" or fun events such as egg or turkey shoots will be what to look for. There is nothing wrong with that and hopefully you find things to participate in. Utah does have a lot of ranges and lots of unsanctioned fun stuff going on, I can't recall the group's name but the "milk jug challenge" is one to look for.

If looking to compete in a particular discipline you need to know what the rules allow before doing something off the wall.

Reactions: steelflight
If you changed the barrel I don't think it would be legal for CMP VMR matches as it is no longer "as issued", not sure on the Vintage Sniper rules. Is nothing that would prohibit you from shooting metallic silhouette though.

Given the nature of it looking for local "outlaw" or fun events such as egg or turkey shoots will be what to look for. There is nothing wrong with that and hopefully you find things to participate in. Utah does have a lot of ranges and lots of unsanctioned fun stuff going on, I can't recall the group's name but the "milk jug challenge" is one to look for.

If looking to compete in a particular discipline you need to know what the rules allow before doing something off the wall.
I agree but it was about the experiment
first and now here I am. Thank you.