• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help pick primary sidearm

I'd need a couple million to get the two way sniper competition I'm thinking of setup, so that's the first problem.
The second is I want some very specific biofeedback direct controlled robotics which aren't quite ready yet.

Or since everyone's talking handguns, just sign up for your next local USPSA match

Well that's not true, I've got 2 sitting in the safe now. Now if you say I have limited experience shooting the Glock that would be more correct. Also in this thread I've learned the CZ is much "flippier" in recoil than the Glock....

Sounds like you have limited experience shooting any handgun

And maybe you should work on your grip

If you think it’s a reasonable choice and that it’s not better, why would you pick something that’s worse? If you’re not forst you’re last.

Handicapping myself on the off chance I might lose my gun and an illegal alien will pick it up doesn’t make sense.

Thats some top notch comedy gold there! You must be something on the High School debate squad. Find a direction that somebody isn't even going and take it WAY beyond...

Sounds like you have limited experience shooting any handgun

And maybe you should work on your grip

Now that might be your most accurate statement yet. I'm no pistol competitor but I can handle one enough to make sure its hot/not and make you dance!

1. 90% of gunfights happen within 10 ft
2. You will only use your firearm if your life or the life of a loved one is in immediate danger
3. Because the danger is immediate you will shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Based on the aforementioned realities, smoothness or weight of trigger pull will likely be less important than reliability of the firearm and your ability to manipulate the firearm when adrenaline is high and function of fine motor skills are low.

The key will be your training and preparedness, not which platform you choose.

I’ve heard 2 different trainers say the da/sa students have a handicap in the class running those guns. The CZ sounds like a solid option, although I’ve never handled one. In reality, what is more solid and ubiquitous than the G19/G17? They also have unparalleled aftermarket support. Just be sure to change the sights.

*I would add that the CZ Shadow 2 is my favorite out-of-the-box gun to shoot. But I wouldn’t carry it
I know the g 19/17 is a solid choice and has all the after market support you can dream of, I carry a 17 for work so I have experience with it. It just doesn’t do much for me like others do, may not be the best reason to buy something different but oh well.

You guys are giving me dumbass student flashbacks.

I usually end this one by saying “If you had the choice between an olympic medalist pistol shooter shooting at you once with a 32 ACP or an idiot who has never fired a handgun...ever...and knows nothing about them shooting at you once with a 500 SW magnum...which are you going to pick?”
The idiot

Thats some top notch comedy gold there! You must be something on the High School debate squad. Find a direction that somebody isn't even going and take it WAY beyond...
Read again. Someone brought up Katie Steinle.
1. 90% of gunfights happen within 10 ft
2. You will only use your firearm if your life or the life of a loved one is in immediate danger
3. Because the danger is immediate you will shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Based on the aforementioned realities, smoothness or weight of trigger pull will likely be less important than reliability of the firearm and your ability to manipulate the firearm when adrenaline is high and function of fine motor skills are low.

The key will be your training and preparedness, not which platform you choose.
90% of a fight might be willingness but as Larry Mudgett says, “marksmanship matters.”

I will never defensively carry anything but a hammer-fired DA/SA handgun.
I have also pretty much sworn off everything but CZs.
I still have all my other handguns, but now I only carry a P-07, or a P-01... or an SP-01 in winter clothing.
If trying to completely conceal, it can be a DA only little baby Sig.

I practice the draw with DA pull on every one of them every time I go to the range. I practice the draw and DA fire with laser inserts in the house all the time. The LASAR iPad app works well for this, showing timing and accuracy scoring. After carrying and practicing this DA/SA configuration for 35 years and a few hundred thousand rounds down range - I feel proficient if not a bit skilled even.

I always felt that DA/SA pistols were like trying to fuck your way through a cast iron chastity belt.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made it work in the past, and I’ll make it work again in the future...but damn I wish the first few thrusts weren’t crunchy and hard. Once you get through it’s all good though.
Today I spent the entire range time with full gloves on.... just to make it even more difficult. The only actual difficulty was in loading mags. I love making the RSO shake his head in disbelief.

I think you mean the guy who is trying to argue with me.

Actually I meant Huskydriver, I am not being ambiguous in directing your quotes back at you.

Yes. Is there a point linked to that thought?

Well, I can finish the thought process for you. You were disagreeing with Newbie2020 that marksmanship matters when in fact his last sentence was in agreement that training and preparedness are more important than the choice of platform. Maybe you can follow me on this but if I own a firearm (platform) and I train with said firearm and prepare to use it, my marksmanship should improve/be better...

Take all of my ribbing with a grain of salt as well because I'm actually being semi-good natured and just poking you as the Hide is slow and you just happen to be the best target of opportunity at the moment. Its a sickness, what can I say.

I play with rifles. I’m serious about handguns.

I need to get back to my old routine. But once upon a time I would set mini poppers at 15 yards to get the DA/SA guys to stop coming to the USPSA matches.

once upon a time I would set mini poppers at 15 yards to get the DA/SA guys to stop coming to the USPSA matches.

15 yards? LOL what a chump. Like taking candy from a kid.

I bet you got your ass handed to you by DA/SA shooters more times than you know how to count.

Actually looking back on it when I was shooting a lot of USPSA the only guys that beat me had STIs.

Actually looking back on it when I was shooting a lot of USPSA the only guys that beat me had STIs.
I've had std's.
I used to shoot an 8 shot revolver with moon clips at the local USPSA matches.
Never won, but I usually ended up in the middle of the pack because I shot more A's than most.
By the way, it was a Taurus model 608.

LOL come and shoot production with your striker fired whatever. We'll see what's up

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I really don't understand the die-hard love for double action trigger pulls. It does literally nothing as well as a single action trigger pull. Accuracy? No. Speed? No. Ergonomics? No. The ONLY potential positive to DA is safety. In the hands of a novice or an idiot, it is likely more safe. But in the hands of someone who practices?

Let me put it this way: if you practice enough for firearm safety and familiarity with your platform to be muscle memory, and you're still somehow less safe with a single-action semi-auto than with a DA/SA, you should limit yourself to pepper spray.

@Odysseus1911

I agree with your statements for the most part. That said, a pro that I have found in a DA pull is the ability to stage it during the draw. I usually stage mine to the wall and break once I’m on target. I haven’t been able to stage my SA pull as smoothly due to the lighter weight.

Yes, I did convert my DA/SA (CZ S2) over to SAO and love it more. The DA pull though was very smooth, predictable, and not difficult at all to shoot.

Now my P226’s stock DA pull sucked, but so did the SA. Put a Grey Ghost flat trigger in there and Sig’s SRT kit and it transformed both the DA and SA pull. Short DA reach and an insane SA reset. Definitely a superior weapon now. My S&W 64-3 also has a smooth DA pull and a SA that breaks like glass.

DA/SA is great for folks who don’t want a mechanical safety, likes hammer fired handguns, and likes the ability for double strike capability.

Whatever you use, whether striker, DA/SA, DAO, or SAO, the most important thing is that you train on it. Folks get all wrapped up around the axle on which one is better. They all work great. Find what you enjoy most and become extremely familiar with it. A pro shooter shooting a stock Glock 43 is going to whoop up on me with my CZ S2 SAO due to having far more training than I do.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
@Odysseus1911

I agree with your statements for the most part. That said, a pro that I have found in a DA pull is the ability to stage it during the draw. I usually stage mine to the wall and break once I’m on target. I haven’t been able to stage my SA pull as smoothly due to the lighter weight.

Now that's interesting. A little like using the two stage trigger on many precision rifles. Maybe there's an application for a two stage in handguns?

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I really don't understand the die-hard love for double action trigger pulls. It does literally nothing as well as a single action trigger pull. Accuracy? No. Speed? No. Ergonomics? No. The ONLY potential positive to DA is safety. In the hands of a novice or an idiot, it is likely more safe. But in the hands of someone who practices?

Let me put it this way: if you practice enough for firearm safety and familiarity with your platform to be muscle memory, and you're still somehow less safe with a single-action semi-auto than with a DA/SA, you should limit yourself to pepper spray.
i see your point, but in a home invasion situation, my wife or daughter may be as likely as myself to need a weapon, and while they have both been trained on several platofrms, i would not want them behind me with a 3lb trigger when they are scared to death.

@Odysseus1911

Yes, thats how I view it. Much more of a “rolling” two stage though as opposed to a hard wall when in DA. The SA pull on my 226 and S2 does have an actual wall though.

DA: pull, roll, bang
SA: takeup, bang

Reactions: Odysseus1911
Just trying to figure out why he wants me to shoot his class. If his gun was as good as mine he would shoot it without class rules and show his ability.

Just trying to figure out why he wants me to shoot his class.
Why are you afraid of shooting Production?

I thought you were all about "strikers are better than DA/SA" Get your Glock out and come on in.

Plus I'm not stupid enough to shoot Limited minor...…..

Ryan Scott, you could just cut to the chase and ask for a dick measuring contest.

This thread turned into a pathetic school yard pissing match.

Some of you guys really need to get a life offline.

I have a life. I have a rotation of women, a good job, a house I’m remodeling. That’s why I don’t have time to shoot matches regularly anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: YotaEer
I've settled in with the Ruger American 9 Pro. Striker, trigger blade insert safety (Glock style), reconfigurable grip insert, 17rd magazines, Loaded chamber view notch, and the best accuracy out of a handgun of mine so far with zero malfunctions to date. I should shoot more, but I do shoot enough to have confidence in the RAP. It's a full size military pattern handgun, a perfect fit for the Condor Tactical Leg Holster I picked up at the local Davis-Monthan AFB Base Exchange.

One especially interesting and practical feature is the magazine commonality with the Ruger PC Carbine. The RC Carbine operates with an interchangeable mag well. They make 3, include 2, and the RAP well isn't one of the two. I think it's well worth getting the third one (RAP - Ruger American Pistol) from Brownell's, as I did; quick and painless, easy to install at home.

Having 17rd magazines, and a dot scope on the carbine; and the shoulder fired carbine shoots nicely as well. It provides a practical 9mm capability at out to at least 100yd; I shoot 124gr RN and HST with confidence.

The pair were acquired to have a capability for local 2-gun shoots; but that goal remains unfulfilled. It will happen.

Virus notwithstanding, being cooped up; I'm well into a complete shop update, with a second bench and a lot of shelving. It's a self designed modular unit system, all wood (1-by...), and incorporates both ergonomics and esthetics.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112
Thanks everyone for your replies and knowledge you have shared. I decided and bought a CZ p10c. Loving it so far! I will probably get a p07 too down the road cause I really like hammer fired DA/SA pistols and using the same mags is a plus. My p10c came with 3 mags and I was able to find 4 more online so pretty happy about that. Thank you again everyone

My vore- glock 19. I went thru the mental exercise to the point of paralysis by analysis. Buddy said he had a gen 4 glock 19 cheap. I said sold. Reliable as the mail. Ugly as shit. Shoots ok. I did a trigger bar and some sights and that's it. It's a tool. I shoot it weekly. I have other more fun guns, but the glock is my hammer.
It's all about fighting to a rifle anyways, and which would you mind being in police custody for a year?

ETA- I came up shooting beretta 92 and HK USP. Never really had a problem getting first round hits. I also shot a lot of revolver(still do).

One thing to strongly consider before purchasing a handgun is holster/accessory availability and selection. Some of these new pistols are great but it’s very difficult to find holsters and accessories for them. I personally limit myself to brands/models commonly carried by police/military (Sig 320, M&P, Glocks). These pistols are all proven workhorses and everyone makes accessories for them. My person choice is the M&P. In stock form it’s an average pistol, but with an Apex trigger, barrel, and 10-8 sights it’s perfect for me. I use G-Code holsters for CCW and Safariland for duty.

I really like the PPQ and it was my favorite until I picked up a Grand Power. I still like the PPQ but I can get back on target much faster with the Grand Power as it's less flippy. They are available in most action and caliber flavors. The bog standard k100 in 9mm suits me quite nicely. I tried a VP9 out and it felt like a PPQ with a glock trigger to me.

Reactions: Mossyoak44
Thanks everyone for your replies and knowledge you have shared. I decided and bought a CZ p10c. Loving it so far! I will probably get a p07 too down the road cause I really like hammer fired DA/SA pistols and using the same mags is a plus. My p10c came with 3 mags and I was able to find 4 more online so pretty happy about that. Thank you again everyone

Down the road when you decide to get the P 07 you will have the ability to change from a decocker to a safety and carry it lock and loaded giving it a SA feel, if you desire. Also, look at MCarbo for the spring kit to lighten the trigger.

How to video:

Down the road when you decide to get the P 07 you will have the ability to change from a decocker to a safety and carry it lock and loaded giving it a SA feel, if you desire. Also, look at MCarbo for the spring kit to lighten the trigger.

How to video:

Thank you, I appreciate your recommendations. I have my tax return coming snd I could see p07 in the horizon

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I really like the PPQ and it was my favorite until I picked up a Grand Power. I still like the PPQ but I can get back on target much faster with the Grand Power as it's less flippy. They are available in most action and caliber flavors. The bog standard k100 in 9mm suits me quite nicely. I tried a VP9 out and it felt like a PPQ with a glock trigger to me.
I haven’t had chance to fondle a Grand Power but I’ll make more of an effort now. I like finding new guns to try and drool over

Thank you, I appreciate your recommendations. I have my tax return coming snd I could see p07 in the horizon

BTW, I don't know why CZ does this, but they put a lanyard attachment on some of the P07s and not others. If you happen to get one with the lanyard attachment and don't want it it is an easy fix. You can get one here:

or here

For the past few years my main sidearm I use for home protection, vacation, would use for shtf scenario has been the Walther PPQ. It’s a fantastic accurate pistol and has never failed me. I’ve decided to replace it with something different (personal reasons nothing to do with the gun) and would like some opinions/personal experiences for a new primary sidearm. I have a few other pistols that I use for daily carry so it doesn’t have to fill that role unless I really feel like it. A few I don’t want (yes I’ve shot them enough to know I don’t want them) beretta 92 & px4, smith and Wesson m&p, Springfield xd. Here’s few options that I have on my list
Sig 320x or 226
CZ P10c
HK P30
I guess Glock 19/17 ugly but they work
Any other suggestions that I haven’t thought about or have over looked are welcome.

I run a Sig 226 Legion and 229 Legion in the SAO models. They are awesome guns. 100% reliable and incredibly accurate for production guns.