• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help press selection 1st time reloader

Pandemic326

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2020
Amelia, VA
Good evening everyone

been scouring the forums for information for a first time reloader as well as other sources and need some help. I am interested in reloading 9mm Luger and .223. I have been bouncing around between the options. I thought I had landed on a lock n load ap, then got directed to a single stage and was thinking the lee classic or hornady classic, then got put on to a Redding t7, and now am back at the lock n load ap.

of course everything is out of stock so realize whatever I do will take some time to come together. I was reading on pew pew tactical and is where the recommendation for the lock n load ap came from.

from videos I have watched my thought is I could use it like a single stage to start until I get some experience.

if I should go single stage I like the idea of something that has or works with the hornady cam lock bushings.

the turret seemed like a happy medium but the price point seems to put me at the progressive almost. Also feedback on a c frame didn’t seem as good as an o frame.

so as you can see I am all over the place and need your expertise. I don’t shoot in competitions, just for self defense and recreational shooting.

all advice is welcome. And thanks for your time!

If you're wanting a single stage press, I would recommend the RCBS Rock Chucker (which Hornady makes a LnL Bushing conversion kit for), or the MEC Marksman. I have the Rock Chucker, and it's solid and will last forever. I've also used it with the LnL Bushing kit, which is really convenient. I use the RC when I want to take my time, or for decapping a bunch of fired brass. The Marksman also seems great, and I might get one soon. I'm sure the Hornady single stage presses are good as well.

For progressive, especially for a beginner, I would suggest the Dillon 550C. It is simple to setup, works amazingly well, and has an unbeatable warranty. It's also great for precision reloading. I reload 9mm, 6.5 Creedmoor, and soon (conversion kit on the way) .223 on the 550, and the speed and efficiency of the press is perfect. The manual indexing makes it more forgiving and easier to learn on, yet doesn't slow you down too much if you're not shooting a high volume of rounds. I also like it being manual so I can manage QA better. I've heard many a problems from people about the Hornady LnL AP (it works great for many), which is what pointed me towards the 550C (which just seems to work).

It's useful to have both a single stage and progressive, but if you had to get one, the Dillon 550C will serve you well.

Thanks for the input. I had looked at rcbs but then counted them out after reading there stuff was now made in China. Perhaps incorrect? but I do want a USA made press if I can get it.

Thanks for the input. I had looked at rcbs but then counted them out after reading there stuff was now made in China. Perhaps incorrect? but I do want a USA made press if I can get it.

The RC is still made in the USA, as far as I know. Got mine last December, and it says made in USA. I saw the same posts, but not sure where they got that from. Their electronic stuff is made in China (like everyone else).

For those two calibers I would reccomend a Dillon 550. Perfect for a beginner, yet still a progressive press. Just look at the world of competition pistol and see what the people who shoot thousands of rounds in practice use. Almost exclusively Dillon.

There are threads on here that discuss precision reloading on a 550. That's not uncommon at all. I have a single stage for most of those chores, but there are much more experienced shooters than I that use a 550 for match ammo.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I started looking at the Dillon 550. Looks impressive and I admit intimidating. In looking at the site I admit a lot of the options/reqs confuse me. I’ll try to dig into that further. Do any online retailers sell Dillon or is it a straight to a manufacturer purchase sort of thing? I did a dealer search and nothing within 50 miles of me popped up.

with that option and the rcbs option back on the table I guess I have more to work through now lol

I started looking at the Dillon 550. Looks impressive and I admit intimidating. In looking at the site I admit a lot of the options/reqs confuse me. I’ll try to dig into that further. Do any online retailers sell Dillon or is it a straight to a manufacturer purchase sort of thing? I did a dealer search and nothing within 50 miles of me popped up.

with that option and the rcbs option back on the table I guess I have more to work through now lol

It may look intimidating, but I assure you it’a fairly easy to setup and use. They provide a very thorough instruction manual with pictures, and there’s many very good videos on setup from Dillon and Ultimate Reloader on Youtube.

Have you already purchased a reloading manual? I would suggest getting the Hornady, Lee, or Lyman (I have all 3) and really learn the entire process if not. What’s nice about the 550 is that since it’s manual, it’s a little easier to figure out and verify each step as you set up a particular set of dies. You can keep testing a specific station without the case moving to the next station (this can be accomplished with the auto indexing 750, but you have to lower the ram only halfway, take the case out, then raise the ram to prevent the index).

Regarding the options they show on the site, you just need the 550 and a caliber conversion kit to get started. These conversion kits allow you to reload a specific caliber. They come with the shell plate (kind of like a shell holder), retainer pins (keeps the cases from falling off the press, and powder die insert (which is also an expander for pistol) to activate the powder measure.

Scheels sells the Dillon 550 (which is where I ordered mine and they ship fast), but it looks like they may be out of stock right now.

Thanks for that info and confidence boost. Is the caliber conversion kit a per caliber purchase I imagine. I.e one for 9mm and a second for 223?

Thanks for that info and confidence boost. Is the caliber conversion kit a per caliber purchase I imagine. I.e one for 9mm and a second for 223?

Yes it is. Dillon sells the press with one conversion kit of your choice. Scheels sells the press by itself for ~$450. It comes out the same since the kits are $52 a piece.

It is a lot to start out, but worth it. If you’re looking for something for far less $$$, the single stage presses are still great to start with and you’ll always have a use for them. I actually got started with the Lee Hand Press haha (which turned into a dedicated decapping press).

I love my 550. First press I bought, and the learning curve isn't that hard. There's tons of videos and it's easy enough as a single stage until your comfortable.

That said, after I started loading instead of learning how, I wished I would have gotten the 750 (650 at the time..) first. Remember you'll spend a few hours learning to use the machine...then literally days cranking the handle once you get it figured out. Get the machine you want to spend all that time behind.

I also own a LNL. The bushings are an awesome system. That's literally where the praise from my stops. The 750 is a better machine in every single other way for me. Better costs a bit more money. It's worth it.

Just remember to get a good reloading manual, triple check your measurements, go slow, and do lots of quality control checks when you're starting out and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Rathmatik
Ok so i have watched a bunch of videos on the 550. The ultimate reloader unboxing, setup, use was really good. i picked up in the video though that he doesnt like doing full case resizing in the 550 because of the pressure and possible torsion i assume that could be applied to the side of the press/plate. He mentioned using a single stage still to do full case sizings and then proceeding with his 550 to do the reloading. Any input on if that really is a concern? If so, i might look at the lee cast iron single stage press so that wouldn't be an issue? Thoughts. And thank you everyone for helping a newbie out with this! Probably making this more complicated than it needs to be but really enjoying learning and gaining from your experiences.

If you are going to be into precision reloading, you’re going to break your case prep and reloading steps up to the point where other processes off the press are necessary - at that point the auto does you no good.

Thanks for that. can you clarify what you meant. lost you if you are meaning that the 550 is still good, or if the broken up steps process means the 550 isn't recommended

Also, anyone have issues with the full case resizing on a 550?

How much pistol loading are you going to do? Single stage sucks for high volume pistol loading.

I have no experience with Dillon, but i guess it depends on your budget.

For moderate volume pistol loading (~200 rds per hour), i highly recommend the Lee classic 4 hole turret press. Combine that with any good single stage press for rifle, and you are good to go. The Lee classic turret can also be used for rifle, but mine is setup for dedicated pistol.

Someone once told me to either get the lee 4 hole turret, or the Dillon for handgun loading. Forget the in-between. I tend to agree with this

Just some other options to consider.

Reactions: Kddub
First press?
Learn each and every step, one step at a time.
Know when something doesn't 'Feel' just right.
How many PROBLEM threads are traced back to RELOADING ERRORS???
I started the wife on this :)
Teachin.jpg

If you gonna shoot, you gonna reload.
The little hand press can handle all the girlie rounds like 9mm and 223. :)

Great shot of handloading! yes my wallet for cost/round has kept me very girlie! I admit.

I forsee loading a lot of 9mm and a lot of 223 as thats all i shoot. Honestly when i go shooting i take both my rifle and handgun and make sure to get rounds off out of both and collect all the brass i shoot. Now, i will admit that with 3 kids, the youngest being 8 months, my "getting out to shoot" has been severly diminished. Hoping to try and build out a descent backstop in the backyard to do some handgun work though. Currently live in the country on 3 acres.

in terms of the turret, thats kind of where i had been lead to away from the single stage. The lee turret good for rifle loading if the dillon is handling the handgun rounds? I liked the redding t7 as it seemed ot have great reviews as well as a comment already above, but the price point to put it together puts me into a 550 realm, which is where i am having trouble. Also see the lyman has a turret that seems to cost a little less than the redding. any good?

Great shot of handloading! yes my wallet for cost/round has kept me very girlie! I admit.

I forsee loading a lot of 9mm and a lot of 223 as thats all i shoot. Honestly when i go shooting i take both my rifle and handgun and make sure to get rounds off out of both and collect all the brass i shoot. Now, i will admit that with 3 kids, the youngest being 8 months, my "getting out to shoot" has been severly diminished. Hoping to try and build out a descent backstop in the backyard to do some handgun work though. Currently live in the country on 3 acres.

in terms of the turret, thats kind of where i had been lead to away from the single stage. The lee turret good for rifle loading if the dillon is handling the handgun rounds? I liked the redding t7 as it seemed ot have great reviews as well as a comment already above, but the price point to put it together puts me into a 550 realm, which is where i am having trouble. Also see the lyman has a turret that seems to cost a little less than the redding. any good?

The Redding T-7 is a classic that many like. Johnny's Reloading Bench on YouTube has that, as well as the Lyman All-American turret press, he seems to like them both.

The Dillon 550 is perfectly capable of handling both pistol and rifle. You can resize and do all the steps on one toolhead for pistol. I use it for 9mm, and resizing is a breeze. It has great leverage. I use more than one toolhead (actually just one, but different dies separately) to do case prep and loading. The reason being multiple things: resizing requires more force with rifle, so it could affect the bullet seating stage (it's still totally fine for plinking though, especially 223), you may need to trim after resizing, and you have to wipe off the lube for resizing.

I originally did this all with one toolhead and took off the cases each time I resized to check for length and wipe off the lube. This made the process kinda tedious, so I prefer doing case prep separately. It's nice to prep a ton of cases and put them aside for loading at another time. Then, when you want to finish them up, they just need a primer, powder, and bullet. At that point (already prepped cases), it's as fast as loading pistol if you use the Dillon powder measure (not as good for extruded or tube powders that you see with rifle, in which case I use my Chargemaster Lite with a powder funnel on that stage).

There are plenty of precision shooters that use the Dillon 550 and 750 presses for loading precision ammo for long range shooting. To name two: F-Class John and Erik Cortina on YouTube. They both shoot competitively at 1000 yards (and win medals) and use these presses for their ammo. If you're at all concerned about rifle loading on the Dillon, I'd recommend their videos. They're very educational and their processes are interesting.

Rocketvapor, I agree, you have to learn the basics first...
I shoot a bit but being retired have time on my hands so I use a Rockchucker and clean my brass 1 at a time with steelwool. Gives me hands on time to inspect each and every case. Trim as needed and chamfer or discard. Then prime them with an old RCBS hand priming tool that lets me know when a pocket is loose and to throw that to recycle.
I drop the powder in the scale pan and weigh each and every one down to the gnat's ass then seat the bullet and measure that then go from there.
That is how I was taught to do it 50+ years ago and with a few refinements here and there, that is how I do it today.

I do totally realize that method can't work for everyone especially the guys that shoot many more rounds than I unless they want to spend a lot of hours on the bench. It is slow and tedious, but you get out what you put in.
I do not load pistol rounds, as I don't shoot them, so my Son does that for me and The Squaw. He has a Dillon and I just sit back and watch when he does it because I don't know shit about it, but he does.
It makes good ammo but when he is reloading for his compitition rifle he it doing the same way I taught him and he is always right up there with the leaders.

For ANY person just getting into reloading my first question is---Do you have the components you need on hand, in your posession, to include brass, primers, powder and bullets? If you do you are good to go, but if any 1 component is missing out of your inventory? you are SOL with how things are going now.

Rocketvapor, I love the look of concentration on your Lady's face as she is doing it!!! That is how I taught my Squaw how to do it too. However,

just wait until she discovers that there are better, easier, ways to do things, and you have them all, and then you will be on the NO NOOKY list with me, but take faith that it won't last too long. FM

First press?
Learn each and every step, one step at a time.
Know when something doesn't 'Feel' just right.
How many PROBLEM threads are traced back to RELOADING ERRORS???
I started the wife on this :)
View attachment 7488448

If you gonna shoot, you gonna reload.
The little hand press can handle all the girlie rounds like 9mm and 223. :)
That looks a lot like what they call "punishment".
Either that, or extreme love and dedication.

Dillon 550. You can use it like a single stage or use it as progressive. I started with a rock chunker. I wish afterwards that I would have just started with the Dillon. There is a learning curve and a feel for things. I would suggest learning hands on with an experienced reloader. A friend of mine showed me the ropes so to speak.

Haha I still use one of the Lee hand presses for depriming. Used to load pistol roads with it in college and it’s really not so bad and you can do it while watching tv.

Thanks everyone for the input. Definitely gonna keep watching some videos and of course hopefully wait for the market to rebound so supplies are actually available for purchase. Talk about the worst possible time to decide to want to start a new hobby.

Is a 4 station turret like in the 550 enough? or am i going to wish i had 1 or 2 more spots? I.e. bullet press and crimp in separate stages?

It may look intimidating, but I assure you it’a fairly easy to setup and use. They provide a very thorough instruction manual with pictures, and there’s many very good videos on setup from Dillon and Ultimate Reloader on Youtube.

Have you already purchased a reloading manual? I would suggest getting the Hornady, Lee, or Lyman (I have all 3) and really learn the entire process if not. What’s nice about the 550 is that since it’s manual, it’s a little easier to figure out and verify each step as you set up a particular set of dies.

What he said

Was given my first 550 20years ago, by my wife and son. My first reaction when I unpackaged it was; “My GOD this thing is complicated.” Read the directions and got it running in short order. They are much simpler than they look. They run good too. And last forever, pretty much trouble free. Jsut keep them reasonably clean.

I use a Redding single stage a lot for short runs and case forming. Its made in the good old USA. I have a Dillion 550 for large primer rounds and another for small Primer rounds which is the one that I was given 20 years ago. Still runs great, will be loading on it later today.

Both Dillion and Redding make fine reloading presses. Can’t go wrong with either one.

Progressive for rifle puts you in the land of diminishing returns and high on the frustration scale. For moderately priced progressives, you still have to do multiple steps to prep a rifle case. Very little time if any is saved without investing in the 8 station units.

A Dillon Square Deal for your 9, if you can find a used one particularly, is an awesome press for your common pistol chamberings. Auto index, reliable, reasonably priced.

Good suggestions above on an O-type single stage press. Lots go with a Forster Coax, and I love mine, however as a one press only person you'll need a C or O press for some of the other types of dies - bullet pullers, primer pocket swagers, push thru pistol sizer (if you decided to load 40 S&W).

I run 3 presses total - a 550 for pistol, Forster Coax for rifle, and a C press for specialty dies. The C press is a CH, which my father loaded on before I was born, and I'm no spring chicken. LOTS of C and O presses out there for cheap if you take your time and ask the dusters at the gun club if they have anything hanging around they want to get rid of.

As a new reloader, I will tell you that progressive for rifle is an exercise in frustration and you will try to bypass needed skills and understanding that single stage rifle loading teaches you.

Good luck and be safe! Proper eye protection, every time you sit down at the bench, is a must.

Is a 4 station turret like in the 550 enough? or am i going to wish i had 1 or 2 more spots? I.e. bullet press and crimp in separate stages?

Yes it's enough. It is useful to have a 5th station for extra checks/tools, but you can manage pistol and rifle fine with the 4. You would still be able to seat bullets and crimp in separate steps for pistol (no need for crimping bottleneck rifle cartridges, so you gain a station here). The powder measure station also expands the case mouth (using the insert that comes with a caliber conversion kit) for pistol cartridges. The Dillon die sets don't come with an expander die for this reason (just resizing/decapping, bullet seating die, crimp die). So you could have these stations:

Pistol
  1. Resize/deprime
    • Insert new primer after lowering the ram and pressing forward
  2. Expand and powder charge
  3. Seat bullet
  4. Crimp
Rifle - all in one
  1. Resize/deprime
    • Verify case length after (and trim/chamfer/deburr if needed)
  2. Powder charge (either using Dillon powder measure or a funnel on top of a powder die, where you use an electronic powder dispenser separately)
  3. Empty or powder cop (I use a Hornady powder cop here to make checking that I charged the case an easier task)
  4. Seat bullet

Rifle - case prep (check lengths after and trim/chamfer/deburr if needed)
  1. Resize/deprime
  2. Empty
  3. Empty or Expander mandrel (optional to set specific neck tension)
  4. Empty
Rifle - load
  1. Empty or universal decapper (sometimes people use this here to clear dry media if they tumble after case prep)
  2. Powder charge
  3. Empty or powder cop
  4. Seat bullet
If you do choose to crimp rifle, you can move the bullet seater to station 3 and crimp on station 4, like with pistol. But then you lose being able to have a powder cop.

I’ve been reloading now for about 15 years, recently upgraded my old lyman single stage to a redding T7. Been very pleased with it. Put the upgraded primer feed system in it, have a collet bullet puller, a universal decapper, and a powder measure in 3 of the stations. The remaining 4 stations lets me run any combination of pistol or rifle dies I may use. Very convenient and gets the job done.

I had many presses including RCBS RC, Lee, Dillon 550, 1050 with case and bullet feeder. Sold them all and now only have a MEC Marksman and K&M arbor press. There is a big difference between RELOADING and HANDLOADING. one is a chore, the other is a hobby. Sure I could load several thousand rounds in an hour. But it was a dull lifeless chore.

Reactions: SCSCHNUR
Ok so i have watched a bunch of videos on the 550. The ultimate reloader unboxing, setup, use was really good. i picked up in the video though that he doesnt like doing full case resizing in the 550 because of the pressure and possible torsion i assume that could be applied to the side of the press/plate. He mentioned using a single stage still to do full case sizings and then proceeding with his 550 to do the reloading. Any input on if that really is a concern? If so, i might look at the lee cast iron single stage press so that wouldn't be an issue? Thoughts. And thank you everyone for helping a newbie out with this! Probably making this more complicated than it needs to be but really enjoying learning and gaining from your experiences.
Get the 550 and be done with it. You will grow into that tool's capabilities and be able to really crank up the production when you're efficient at the basic setup and operation.

Dillon can absolutely handle full length sizing cartridges.

I do 9mm, 38 Special, 45 ACP, 223, 6.5 Creed, 7mm RemMag on mine.

For precision rifle loadings I weigh the powder on a separate scale. I do every other operation on the press, including priming.

You will if you want to go up in volume because you'll want a powder check and bullet feeder. But if you do that, you may still want the 550 around anyways so you may not have to worry about it.

Don't listen to me though. I started on an LnL a decade ago and I'm still fighting the damn thing. I wish I'd started with a 650 dillon if I had to do it all again.

I just started doing rifle calibers and so far I really love doing them on the LnL. I run 2 passes. I deprime/size/prime in one pass. Then on the next pass I run a power funnel die (fed by a chargemaster lite), then seat and optionally crimp and out. I'm mostly waiting on the chargemaster when doing so, and I do get a good feel on priming each round this way. I do military 223 brass prep (decap/swage) on a lee APP.

For your calibers... All roads lead to Dillon. I wouldn't waste your time considering anything else, IMHO.

I have 2 550s and a 650 (had a 1050 which I sold, the caliber conversions were too expensive). My workhorse is a 650. With a casefeeder and bullet feeder, I can crank out 800-900 rounds an hour easily. Anything else and you would need a Mark7 or ammobot.

Stage 1 Size and deprime going up, and prime coming down.

Step 2 Powder Charge

Step 3 Bullet Seater

Step 4 Crimp

Done and done.

I can crank +/- 425-450 rounds per hour of 9mm if I load all my primer tubes ahead of time.

Dillon 550's suck for primer pocket swaging and for most other random ass processes you might need to do.

If you were only ever gonna load commercial brass with no crimps or bulges or do any other weird shit, then a progressive is for you.

Truth is that the vast majority of us have another single stage press of some sort as well.

I have 2 Dillon 550's I leave set up for 9mm and 223, but my Coax and other single stages get used just as much.

Using a progressive to do load work up when you are constantly tweaking shit would be beyond frustrating.

Progressives are for production, and that is about all they do well.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I have been looking and looking and admit I was clueless to how severe ammo shortages truly were. Seeing as pretty much every component, specifically the primers, are in such short/nonexistent supply I think this is going to take much longer to come together. I was reading that the primer shortage might go on for another year at least. Hopefully not the case but guessing I should get ready to really exert some patience. So much for a reloading Christmas present for myself lol.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I have been looking and looking and admit I was clueless to how severe ammo shortages truly were. Seeing as pretty much every component, specifically the primers, are in such short/nonexistent supply I think this is going to take much longer to come together. I was reading that the primer shortage might go on for another year at least. Hopefully not the case but guessing I should get ready to really exert some patience. So much for a reloading Christmas present for myself lol.

Stay vigilant, I was able to get a few hundred small rifle primers on Monday (and CFE Pistol powder). It all depends of course on what stores you have nearby. I'm lucky enough to have Scheels close by, who stocks pretty well (they still disappear within hours) even in this time.

I think people getting into reloading tend to focus on the press too much. It's a very simple tool and a lot of them will do an excellent job -- RCBS, Redding, MEC, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Forster, Frankford. I do not know of a single-stage that has a poor reputation. The progressives are costlier (Dillon) to make trouble-free, but reloaders are often the types who don't mind tinkering (Lee). A turret can improve economy of motion without the complexity of a progressive and whether it's the Lee Classic Turret, Redding T7, or a Hollywood Senior Turret, they're all quite good indeed.

What makes the biggest difference is the person reloading knowing what they need to pay attention to and doing it. In my experience, the best way to stay focused on what matters is not to be too occupied with the stuff that doesn't. In some ways, my progressive automates some things that I should be paying closer attention to, whereas it does nothing to automate things where I can waste my time, like cleaning and drying brass.

I think people getting into reloading tend to focus on the press too much. It's a very simple tool and a lot of them will do an excellent job -- RCBS, Redding, MEC, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Forster, Frankford. I do not know of a single-stage that has a poor reputation. The progressives are costlier (Dillon) to make trouble-free, but reloaders are often the types who don't mind tinkering (Lee). A turret can improve economy of motion without the complexity of a progressive and whether it's the Lee Classic Turret, Redding T7, or a Hollywood Senior Turret, they're all quite good indeed.

What makes the biggest difference is the person reloading knowing what they need to pay attention to and doing it. In my experience, the best way to stay focused on what matters is not to be too occupied with the stuff that doesn't. In some ways, my progressive automates some things that I should be paying closer attention to, whereas it does nothing to automate things where I can waste my time, like cleaning and drying brass.
All that leads to Dillon. It is God-awfully painful to load 9mm or 223 on a single stage. Everything else is a waste of time and money for what the OP wants to reload. There is a HUGE reason Dillon is #1 multistation/progressive press for competitive pistol and rifle shooters... Every single year, the survey shows that Dillon crushes the competition. The only press that is making gains on Dillon's share is the Mark7 but it's ridiculously priced for true automation ($10k with all the bells and whistles). And Dillon being #1 is not due to marketing (they barely have any - hardly any big box or local stores carry Dillons - a few online retailers like Brian Enos and Double Alpha have Dillons but they order direct from Dillon). Their machines simply work, if they don't, they fix it free of charge no questions asked. They rebuild presses, for free. They back discontinued presses, no questions asked. They stand behind their product, period. I have never heard of anyone not liking their Dillon - and those that sell them walk away with plenty of cash to upgrade to the next one.

If you plan to load pistol and carbine cartridges, Dillon 550C and carbide dies if you can find them.

OP

Another vote for Dillon 550. I’ve been using mine over 20 years and it’s been great. I hardly ever use the Square Deal because it’s so damned small.

For a first press it’s hard to go wrong with Dillon 550.

if you stick with this hobby you will get another press for the small batches and odd chores. I have an RCBS single stage. It works wonderfully and I’ve loaded many thousands of rounds on it before I got the Dillon. Single stage is TEDIOUS in the extreme. I hate changing die set ups.

if I were buying another press today it would be a Redding turret press. Just for convenience with small batch rifle rounds. For bulk “shoot fast at stationary targets” games, I would much prefer the 550.

components are still occasionally available at fair prices. You just have to be active in looking for them. You might even find a local old guy who will take pity on a new reloader and share some of his stash 😉. Shooters are like that sometimes.

Pick a press, a good scale, decent dies, and a couple three reputable load manuals. Get the books first and read the process in detail several times. The internet sometimes leaves out important stuff that’s made clear in the books.

Be safe. Enjoy the hobby. It can become an obesssion.

You can run a Dillon RL-550 like a single-stage Rock Chucker but you can't run a Rock Chucker like a 550 (e.g., progressive).

The idea that you can't resize bottleneck rifle brass on a 550 is pretty ridiculous. I had no problem resizing .30-06 brass when I had that caliber; I resized a couple hundred 6.5CM cases yesterday with no problem, and runout is essentially zero. The secret is using the right amount of lube. I use Hornady One-Shot because it's convenient. Some people hate it and say it doesn't work. I'm sorry for their ineptitude; I haven't had a stuck case since I inadvertently stuck an unlubed .223 case in the size die. Given it was a Dillon die, it was easy to force the case out given the die's design.

I don't swage primer pockets because I don't screw around with crimped-primer military brass... but I don't shoot much bulk .223 either.

I don't think it's been mentioned by you or people who have posted: concerning case lubrication, you HAVE to lube bottleneck rifle cases and you DO NOT have to lube pistol cases provided you use carbide size dies. Yes, you can buy carbide dies for some rifle calibers but you still have to lube them.

Bottom line is, if you have the funding, go with the Dillon. My 550 is vintage 1996 and has... a lot... of rounds through it. Run it in single-stage or "hybrid" mode (split up the operations in whatever way suits you). A few people told me I needed a single-stage press for "precision" rifle cartridges, but I was too cheap to buy another single-stage press... and it turns out my 550-loaded ammo does just fine.

I do my due diligence with rifle brass prep. I use only once-fired or new brass whose source I know and keep count of how many times I've loaded each case. I anneal it after every firing and check length trimming as needed. I check every powder charge on an A&D FX-120i scale except in the rare instances when I load bulk .223 - in which case I use CFE-223 or H335 super-small-grain powder, which drops "precisely enough" for bulk.

Pistol brass is a different beast. I load whatever 9mm and .45ACP I hoover up on the range. I never trim it. Yeah, yeah, both calibers headspace on the case mouth... but I don't load either for optimum accuracy and I've never had a case get too long before the mouth splits (or I just lose the case). If it plunks into a Wilson case gauge, I shoot it in any of my pistols. If it sticks in the gauge, I shoot it for practice in a generously-chambered Glock or Sig service pistol.

I don't bother with crimping ammo anymore (which would require consistent case length). If I shot 3-gun or otherwise required bullets to absolutely stay put in my reloads, I would. Back in the .357 and .44 Magnum days, I absolutely crimped hot-load cases lest bullets back out under recoil.

I didn't expect to write this much. I've been reloading rifle and pistol ammo for well over 40 years. Bottom line is simple for me. Dillon. Dillon pistol dies. Dillon .223 dies for bulk ammo. "Precision" dies (I use RCBS Gold Medal Match) with bushing size dies and micrometer seating dies for good rifle rounds. Sinclair expander mandrels rather then the expander balls in the size die for rifle calibers.

Get a good manual and start loading (once you find components). Don't worry about perfection - just pay attention. Put ONLY the components you will use immediately on your bench, then put it all away afterward so you don't mix crap up. Good luck.

EDIT: I'd suggest calling Dillon directly and describe what you want to do. It's been yers since I needed to talk to them about anything, but back then a live person answered the phone; the support people were always awesome.

Last edited:
Learn the process for rifle with a single stage. Know it cold. Then, and only then, consider rifle with a progressive. Otherwise you will have limited troubleshooting skills and will be at minimum frustrated, and most likely dangerous.

I love my T7. Simple to use, rock solid, 7 dies per turret means you set and forget them. I have one turret for my 30x calibers and one for my 6.
I love my Redding T7 also. Have had Hornady presses LNL and progressive break to easy. Sold bought T7 never looked back. Would like to get a Forester one day but not necessary .

I love my Redding T7 also. Have had Hornady presses break to easy.

My only complaint is that the BB that's used as a detent can fall off too easy when changing turrets. I bought half a dozen on Ebay for when they get lost.

Reactions: SCSCHNUR
Look for used single stage,bought most of mine for 35-70$,RCBS first but I've got 5 different ones and they all operate exactly the same-up and down:)....if you can find a used 550,jump on it...then simply learn the function of 1 die at a time,without stupid auto index,a 550 is just a S/S with 4 stations......same with a Lee Turret-can the primer system and auto index and you have a great press....I've rebuilt my 550 twice in 27yrs.....and I bought it used from comp shooter that was going to 1000.

I had a single stage RCBS fall into my lap a few years back. A recruiter in the area had to ship out and needed to sell his setup. I got the whole setup for 250.00. Bench included. I will never find something like that again. I would say stick with the single stage stuff if you are a beginner. De-capping and resizing you can do with a bunch of brass at a time. Even priming can be done in a large lot. When it comes to building the rounds? I always do it one at a time. For me, I find I can have a better handle on things and there are no mistakes.