• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help selecting an action

If one is going to spend money on a Custom action, buy a real custom.. not a Rem 700 clone and attach things to it with tiny screws.

If not, rather get a sporterized Sako TRG-22 action.. also known as Tikka T3.
Which is equal to and better then most other Custom Rem 700 clones, except those with integral recoil lug, rail and bolt handle.
Well, even most of those, when it comes to running it in adverse conditions..

Post #45, last pic is you.

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
I've only ever seen them allow a couple options, usually 0,20,30 moa. which is fine for standard range stuff but if shooting ELR that isn't gonna cut it. Most guys want a 50-60 base minimum and some/ lots are running more to allow a zero offset that allows them to dial all the way to 2 miles. That being said that is an entirely different niche.
Adjustable MOA or MIL mounts:

0-70 MOA or 0-20 MIL

products-eratac-adj-moa-nut.jpg

Reactions: BCX
My personal experience has been with Defiance- Deviant and Tenacity, Stiller TAC30, and Lone Peak Fuzion.

If I were to get another it would be Lone Peak Fuzion or Defiance Deviant.

What would you consider a real custom action?

If someone tells you to get a non-R700 clone as your first custom action, run the other direction as fast as you can. Hell, for the vast majority of shooters with custom actions, R700 "clones" are what they go with every time. With all the high-end accessories available, it's hard to make an argument for anything else - outside the most edgy of edge cases.

Recommendation:

- Get an Impact, or...
- Get a Defiance, or...
- Get a Lone Peak
- I've shot all three, and they are all excellent. You can't go wrong with any of them. Likely it will come down to which you can get the quickest.

We don’t have moon dust where I shoot/hunt, but my defiance ruckus (fully nitrided) is not even slightly gummy or easy to bind. Super smooth. But, Defiance marketed ruckus as being prefit compatible. I’ve since learned that many smiths won’t cut a prefit until they have hands on with that specific action first. So that’s lame.
What smiths?

Happy to recommend big horn, even with the Origin having gone up in price in recent years. The last one I got is nitrided and very nice. Selling point right now is the number of used prefits around between savage and origin and TL3 (with the HLR lug). The new Aero action coming out is going to use their prefit specs as well.

I've only ever seen them allow a couple options, usually 0,20,30 moa. which is fine for standard range stuff but if shooting ELR that isn't gonna cut it. Most guys want a 50-60 base minimum and some/ lots are running more to allow a zero offset that allows them to dial all the way to 2 miles. That being said that is an entirely different niche.

For my closer in rifles, I go with an integral 20 moa base and a 20 moa mount. That's going to get you close to bottoming out to zero at 100. On my 300 PRC with an M7xi I run the 20/20 and with the 28 mil max vertical the scope gives me, I barely get to zero with my 40 moa total - 50 moa wouldn't be possible. At 40, I max out at about 2100 yards by dialing, give or take, depending on conditions. Unfortunately, the reticle isn't a great holdover reticle, so going farther is problematic.

Many scopes have 30 mil max elevation (-15 to +15 mil), and a select few go up to 34. For 30, you can barely get 50 moa and still zero at 100.

Long story short, if you go 40 moa total between base and mount, you can mount pretty much any scope you want and still zero at 100. At 50 moa total, you have some minor limitations, and at 60, you'd have quite a few that would be ruled out. That's why I like to not limit myself by going too far with an integral base. Go relatively small (20) and make up the rest with a mount. You can always go up or down on the mount.

On my 37XC, I run a March Genesis. I had my action built with 30 moa, but with the Genesis, I don't have to worry about it. I get 86 mil of total vertical - and it's offset for a -14 to +72, so with a 30 moa rail I get roughly -6 to +80. +80 gets me out a long way :)

I recommend Impact or Lone Peak, can’t go wrong with either, but my personal preference is the Impact. I own several brands: Impact, lone peak, terminus, Curtis, Bat, Defiance, AI, ARC, and probably others that I forgot about. They all have their strong points and design features. I like the impact because they are simple and a proven design and comes with the trigger hanger. The hanger makes trigger changes simple and easy in the field. Prefits are readily available and every Impact that I have ever measured is right on the money.

Should have some impacts as well as lone peaks coming in a few weeks. PM me if interested. If you don’t already have a dealer in mind.

Look for the link to the Google Sheets spreadsheet too. You can copy it and edit your own version.

Reactions: stanley_white
I recommend Impact or Lone Peak, can’t go wrong with either, but my personal preference is the Impact. I own several brands: Impact, lone peak, terminus, Curtis, Bat, Defiance, AI, ARC, and probably others that I forgot about. They all have their strong points and design features. I like the impact because they are simple and a proven design and comes with the trigger hanger. The hanger makes trigger changes simple and easy in the field. Prefits are readily available and every Impact that I have ever measured is right on the money.

Should have some impacts as well as lone peaks coming in a few weeks. PM me if interested. If you don’t already have a dealer in mind.
I had an action with a trigger hanger, but the smith red loctited the trigger hanger screw, so I couldn't get the trigger out without a blow torch. I wanted to swap the trigger shoe so bad, but never got the chance.

Many scopes have 30 mil max elevation (-15 to +15 mil), and a select few go up to 34. For 30, you can barely get 50 moa and still zero at 100.
Yes if going to run a big rail you need to know how much elevation you have in the scope. I currently running a 50 moa rail and zero at 100 yards. I was referencing @SeekingNorth saying you should be able to choose the angle on an integral rail when no one offers that. Yes there is the adjustable bases but those aren't always an ideal solution.

Yes if going to run a big rail you need to know how much elevation you have in the scope. I currently running a 50 moa rail and zero at 100 yards. I was referencing @SeekingNorth saying you should be able to choose the angle on an integral rail when no one offers that. Yes there is the adjustable bases but those aren't always an ideal solution.

Defiance has elevation options for their integral rails.

ARC's rails aren't integral, but every bit as solid how they are designed. Different rail options for them.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
Hunting rifle recommendation goes to Lone Peak...both my Lone Peak Fusion TI actions run slick as snail shit.

Tactical rife recommendation goes to Surgeon,, all have ran smooth.

Still breaking in the AI AXSR.. 700 rounds on the action and she's smoothing out!

When people say this I literally have no idea what they are talking about, can someone help me?
Like all the "features" of an action I can think of are not even optional. Like it needs to have a bolt handle, an extractor, bolt release, accept a trigger for me it needs an ejector (I guess that is optional for some).

I guess bolt throw/ lug quantity are possible "features/options"
The biggest difference when it comes to custom, are the offered features and options. Now, as it has been said previously, that really depends on the manufacturer...

Steel, Titanium, Aluminum?
Left or right handed?
Model 7, Short, Medium, Medium +, Long, XL length?
.700 or .750 bolt?
60° or 90° bolt throw? (Yes, there are others, but for simplicity sake)
Dual, tri, or even 6 lugs?
Tenon thread depth?
Right ejection or left ejection port?
Ejection port length?
Magazine type? (there are well over a dozen)
Safety, no safety, 3-position safety?
Engraving?
Tang style?
Bolt stop style?
Integral, pinned, blind recoil lug?
Bolt nose style?
Mini 16, plate, or mauser claw extractor?
Spiral, diamond, straight, non fluting?
Right or left spiral fluting?
Shallow, standard, deep, x-deep fluting?
Bolt handle style?
Bolt knob style?
Bolt face diameter?
0, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, or even 100 MOA top rail?
4, 6, or even no top screws?
Bolt shroud style/material?
Firing pin diameter?
And many, many more...

There are literally over a million ways an action can be set-up to an individuals wants and needs. For some, many of those options hold no value necessarily, yet for others with very specific needs, they are of extreme value with only a few manufacturers even capable of producing that feature for them. Luckily, there are a lot of great options on the market for shooters, including us.

Last edited:
Impact is made by a former Surgeon engineer.

Bat Machine is not a field action (IMHO). If you're just at a range shooting off a bench they are top notch, but they are not designed for the field and don't handle dust and dirt at all. They go from smooth to seized up and quit in a single pull. I've seen it.

I have tried just about every one of them, and have nothing bad to say about any of the major Mfgs discussed here, but I have to say that my Curtis Axiom with the 60 deg throw and the "DLC" coating is the smoothest/fastest action I own. I don't see them talked about often or lauded, but mine runs, and is smooth as snot, and delivers everything I could ask of it.

I really don't think you can go wrong with Impact, Big Horn, Defiance, AI, and the Tempest action GAP makes is damn good.

I find that when I throw a 90 degree bolt I feel like I'm throwing a battleship compared to a 60 degree throw. It doesn't seem like much, but it is a pretty big difference on the firing line IMHO.

I have a few Zermats (which I love), I have a Zues, and I have 2 Curtis Valors. I like running the Valors best also. They are just easier to run and slick as snot, and yes, very fast. Any of the top tier actions are outstanding though, but I do agree with you about the Curtis. It's nearly identical to the Zeus with a few minor differences, but for whatever reason it seems like the bolt lift is lighter on the Valors and they just run super easy and drop into place so effortlessly and quickly.

Reactions: Fig
I went through this exact same internal debate recently. I looked at all the typical recommendations and weighed them out. I ended up going with a Terminus Zeus QC.

This is my first build, and the only custom action I own, so take it for what it's worth.

But for me, the ability to assemble it myself and not have to pay any gunsmith fees or buy any extra tools made it worth it. All I had to buy was a couple of go/ no go gauges.

And it's pretty cool that I can swap barrels in a minute. Which for me, meant I only had to buy one chassis, trigger and optic, but could essentially have multiple rifles, just by buying different barrels.

I also like that I can text the owner of the company with any questions and he's gotten back to me immediately every time. Really helpful for a first-timer like me.

Just throwing that out there as an option. I've never handled any of the other usual suspects (Impact, Lone Peak, Defiance, etc) but I'd guess there really is no wrong answer.

Good luck amigo!