• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help selecting glass for POF 308

wortman

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Hawaii
Ive read up on the "optics selection" post and have narrowed down what I think should work for me, but still need a good bit guidance and help as this will be my first scope. I'm looking for something for a new POF R308-16-MRR-308 and would like an FFP something with MIL/MIL. Saw Lowlight's review of the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12X FFP so that's an option. Been looking at the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 which looks to be the best and most expensive Ive looked at. Also been looking at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP but have seen the problems with them and am unsure if those problems have been resolved.

Budget isn't a huge issue seeing as this is my first and i don't mind the whole buy once cry once, but also don't want to be paying for features I cant/wont use nor glass thats too good for my needs. Also this will be my first firearm capable of reaching out these distances so I would like an optic that would be able to. I realize that I will be the weak link in all of this and want something that will allow the rifle to do it, I'll catch up eventually. Will be used mostly for target, but also as my shtf rifle.

Ive had plenty of time behind my Noveske 5.56 with an Aimpoint T1 but have had so little time looking thru a magnified optic let alone ever owning one so any suggestions would help so very much. Feel free to offer suggestions for optics other then the ones I mentioned, or advice for other magnifications or options. Thanks so much in advance.

Best Regards,
Adam

Re: Help selecting glass

Nightforce F1, they come with rings, FFP, lots of adjustment range, mil/mil, 10 mils per revolution turrets, and made in Idaho.

Made in the USA = NF. This means a lot to me
Theirs no such thing as glass that's to good
I have a NXS 1x4x24, NXS 2.5x10x32, and will be getting another one soon

My POF ended up with a USO ST-10 on it. At first I used a SS 3-9 and it did very well....the Bushnell would be basically the same with more magnification. The USO 1.8-10 and the NF 2.5-10 would be great glass for that gun also. More mag and bigger scopes are often used on the POF .308's but to me they over power the set up especially if you plan on using it for more than long range shooting. I use a Bobro QD mount that is very nice but I am going to go to regular rings. Decided I don't need the QD option on the gun. If you consider a QD and I expect you will since it is also your SHTF gun and want to consider a Bobro QD shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the help, other folks with a pof what rings have you chosen? I now the rail is high with the gas sytem.

Just found the Valdada 3.5-18x50 35mm SF MIL/MIL Tactical Scope FFP Illuminated MP-8 Dot Mod so thats an option too now. Opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wortman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help, other folks with a pof what rings have you chosen? I now the rail is high with the gas sytem. </div></div>

It will depend on bell size and if you use a canted mount. on my POF i use a NF 1.375" unimount. its 20 moa and with a nightforce with a 50mm bell it just clears with the sunshade and BC cap.

Badger 22 MOA rail and 1" height rings works great.
P3290525.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wortman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found the Valdada 3.5-18x50 35mm SF MIL/MIL Tactical Scope FFP Illuminated MP-8 Dot Mod so thats an option too now. Opinions? </div></div>

I have the 3-18x42 and I like it a lot. I would certainly put the 50mm model on the list along with the nightforce models, USO models and the Vortex Razor HD.

If you don't want to spend more than 1k you could get a super sniper HD 10X, the 3-9 model, or a used leupold M3. If you can get by with low magnification there are ACOG scopes in 762.

I found a good deal on an ACOG 6x48 that is going on my AR-10. Now I just have to wait for the rifle to get here.

I also have a SS 10x42 that I was going to mount on a bolt gun but since I went with the AR platform, I may end up trying it on there. The SuperSniper scope is not a bad piece of glass for the money.

I dont mind spending more then a grand and i am worried about the height with an acog but thanks for your opinion on ior there at the top of my list right now, so we'll see