• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help. Should I buy a Cz 457 or Savage mark 2

I read somewhere that a good primer strike is foundational to accuracy in rimfire guns.
There are many posts and videos on how to increase the striking force and even the shape of the firing pin on the rims.

While at Lowes, I picked up some yellow dry wall anchors, yellow #4 rated to 20 lbs, and did a side by side test between the Savage B22 Precision and CZ 457 Pro Varmint.

The deep triangular strikes with crushed plastic on the rim at the 12, 4, and 8 o clock positions are from the CZ and the lighter, linear strikes at the 1, 6, and 9 o clock positions are from the Savage.

Could the rimfire experts weigh in on if the force/quality of the firing pin strikes could be contributing to the ability of the CZ to shoot various types of 22 LR ammo more accurately than the relatively anemic strikes from the Savage?

Thank you.
372347B6-5ABC-42BE-83BD-4AB740D6D206.jpeg

Add another extractor spring on top of the old one and the extraction problems should go away on the Savage. Savage will send you a spring for free if you will call and tell them your problem. I have an early MK II FV and it is a very accurate, trouble free, not a problem ever, rifle. My FV-SR, made after the receiver change, isn't so great but the extra spring did cure it's extraction problem. I think a new barrel might make it better but I'm not putting another dime into it. Maybe I can trade it in on a Tikka. I will never buy another MK II.
The second extractor spring works, recommended by the savage CS rep. With a little filing to make it fit the problem is fixed. All 4 of my MkII & 93 WMR FV SR have the spring mod and I haven't had a problem after 8K rds. You still need to change both extractor/ ejector hooks around 7K rds. The Mk II are great accurate gun after you stone polish the bolt & change the trigger spring to get a 1 lb pull. The action turns silky smooth after 5K + pulls. Change the stock & pillar bed it in or just go with an MDT/ Oryx metal chassis. Good "Big X"glass with at least a 8-34x56 FFP scope is necessary, make sure you have a good cheek riser to have consistent aim and use top tier ammo and you will have an outstanding sub MOA shooter at 50-100 yds. The $220 bargin Mk II in the end costs over $1300. There is no aftermart support or custom barrels and no replacement OEM barrel either. The barreled action is a throw away part when its wears out.
Save money & frustration and just buy the top tier bolt action guns that are very accurate, retain their value and are easy to sell. The CZ, Anshutz, Rim X and the Vudoo are all cheaper in the long run. Good guns are more fun to shoot when to look at .25 inch groups. The cheap route took me for more than $ 9K + to get to the Vudoo. A good gun saves money because you shoot less of the 40 cent / rd ammo and get more big X's and higher scores on the card. Winning is more fun than being in second place. You can't blame the gun any more it just show you where the weakest link is. You actually learn how to shoot and improve your skills with a good gun. Just have fun and enjoy the 22 upgrade journey.

I have a T1X. With a $10 trigger spring change you can get a 1 lb. trigger. The factory is a good stock as is. Mine is in a KRG Bravo now. With mid grade ammo it will shoot sub moa out to 200yds+ in good conditions.
I have had CZ 455, but not a 457. I got a Bergara BR14R and sold my 455 22lr, but still have a 17HMR

Mark

I have a T1X. With a $10 trigger spring change you can get a 1 lb. trigger. The factory is a good stock as is. Mine is in a KRG Bravo now. With mid grade ammo it will shoot sub moa out to 200yds+ in good conditions.
I have had CZ 455, but not a 457. I got a Bergara BR14R and sold my 455 22lr, but still have a 17HMR

Mark
I’m happy with my T1X, other than ease of barrel changes. Along with a $1400 $10/22 and $300 Savage MK, and 2 optics, 2 sets of XTR rings and bases, mags etc, building a custom from the start wouldn’t cost much more, but its hard to know if you will get into it that deep before trying things out. Add in $3K+ ammo in a year and yes, 1 custom doesn’t seem so expensive.

I have a Savage Mark II "GXP - G for basic Wooden Stock and XP for combo package- came with a basic Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm scope (which was actually *awesome* - the only reason I wound up replacing it was because I allowed a friend to shoot it at the range, he knocked it over and it hit the concrete floor directly on the scope and then would not hold zero. That's not the scope's fault...) - it was a $199.99 price at Dick's Sporting Goods, I got it on sale for $149.99.

It's *amazingly accurate* ... You would not believe. I know this forum has very wealthy and very serious shooters with all sorts of toys that make a $150 rimfire look like chump change. And I get that. But it's amazing. And Savage makes some pretty awesome stuff like the BRJ-
543952.jpg

and the BSRV

15509.jpg

So while those are much more expensive, I would not hesitate in an instant to buy another Savage rimfire rifle. (I have a good amount so the last thing I need is another .22 but hey, you never know!)

Obviously CZ makes some fine firearms - none could dispute this - but if anyone needs a rimfire rifle, I wholeheartedly recommend Savage.

I have a Savage Mark II FSSNSXP, some ammo it shoots very poorly, some it shoots very well, (Eley club, tenex, and target, anything SK or Lapua, and Aguila target competition 40 grain).
For some of the cheap stuff ( other than Federal HV), the Savage shoots really poorly. Also, this rifle does not like CCI.

I have a varmint precision CZ 457, at 50 yards, it shoots the bulk ammo overall better than the above Savage, I'd say about 0.10- 0.12 better MOA with the most common cheap bulk ammo you find at Wallyworld. It shoots CCI much better than the Savage.

The Savage at 50 yards shoots the ammo it likes (listed above) just about the same most days as my CZ 457. At 100 yards, there is a small (0.05-0.09 MOA), but a consistent advantage to the 457, but usually my Savage shoots Eley club and the Aguila a tiny bit better than the CZ at 100 yards.

So the question is, what do you want the rifle for?
For plinking and small game hunting, I prefer my Savage over the CZ. The Savage is a lot lighter. The CZ does have tighter groups with the bulk ammo though.

For longer-range 100 yards+, and competition, I prefer the CZ.

I know some folks have posted about some Savages not having great accuracy, My Mark II is pretty accurate with the right ammo in my opinion. I also have a Model 64 that shoots well and a B22 precision in 22mag that is a tack driver. I would take the B22 to any 22mag competition in a heartbeat.

The old classic.... "I'm wanting a sub $xxx gun".....thread, two post later, OP and most everyone else, start talking about upgrades and guns that are not even close to claimed budget. ??? Savage rimfire or centerfire + tinkering/tuning = highly accurate low dollar gun. A Savage will be a turd compared to more expensive guns but ,accuracy wise, the savage will shoot with the best of them. For years savage has dominated accuracy/$$. The next CLOWN that says, " just buy a vudoo", on a sub $XXX thread oughta have his nuts cut out!! Rant over