• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help! Side boltstop promlem

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
I bought and had a gunsmith install a side boltstop kit on my action and I cant rember were I got it. I am having a problem with it the stop had mushroomed out from slamming it back during firing and I could not get my bolt to come out. Anyways I got it out and had to file it down to get it to work properly. But the face has a half mood shape from the bolt lug hitting it and I have no dout it will do it again. (Ill post pics). But anyways anyone have any idea who makes some of these kits so I can refresh my memory. Also has anyone else had a problem with there side boltstop mushrooming out?

Re: Help! Side boltstop promlem

Better the bolt stop than your bolt!

All side bolt stops are made out of mild steel for that very reason. If any damage is going to be done, its better for it to happen to the bolt stop and not your bolt.

You dont need a new one, it will only do the same thing, If you have filed yours down, use it, and file it doen again in the future when it happens again. Or try to cycle a bit easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better the bolt stop than your bolt!

All side bolt stops are made out of mild steel for that very reason. If any damage is going to be done, its better for it to happen to the bolt stop and not your bolt.

You dont need a new one, it will only do the same thing, If you have filed yours down, use it, and file it doen again in the future when it happens again. Or try to cycle a bit easier.</div></div>
That makes sense! Thanks. I wounder if I should get a spair just incase it gets to burgerd up?

But if you got money to burn, I can pm you my address.......
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah! keep what you got.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if you got money to burn, I can pm you my address.......
grin.gif
</div></div> Ill just Keep filing...But thanks!!