• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help sizing 6.5x47 to 6mm??

sch2046

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Sunbury, OH
i had a 6x47 built and now have the daunting task of resizing my new lapua brass. How do I know how far down to put the die in the press, as to not mess with the shoulder, or inadvertently bumping it? Novice question, but I don't want to mess up a bunch of expensive brass?
thanks

The die is the same as the 6.5 with the exception of a smaller neck. If you are using bushings, you can actually just use a 6.5 die with the smaller bushings. I highly recommend doing it in steps though. I wouldn’t size down more than 10 thousandths per step. Easiest done with a neck die.

I size mine in one pass with a non bushing 6x47 die. I haven't had any problems.I would be sure to put a touch of lube on the rest of the body in case you find one slightly out of spec. Cheap insurance over a stuck case and the hassle that comes with that mess.

I did 50 or so by using my bushing die and the last little bit near the neck/shoulder would not size properly. The non-bushing die fixed that up without any problem. You might have chambering issues so that's why I went with the 6x47 non bushing die.

YMMV, and the advice above about stepping down is good advice. Probably get better results that way.

Which pill ya runnin' ? I was amazed at how easy it was to get 105 hybrids running!

Yes a standard non bushing die will size all the way down to the shoulder. Not a bad idea to finish them off that way for a full necking down

I guess I didn’t realize they were available factory direct. However, their pricing looks 1.5x what retailers sell their products for. I know other die mfg’s do the same, but no thanks On that.

Agreed for straight packaged product but you can have them custom home you a neck for like 12 bucks so that’s a main benefit. A semi custom die for non ridiculous prices.

I’ve got one back ordered from Brownells. I looked all over and no one had one in stock (maybe because of its popularity). Brownells had a discount coupon so I ordered a box of brass too. I haven’t even got a barrel yet so I’m not in a big hurry. I used my Cabelas bucks and ordered a Forster micrometer seating die so I’m getting there.