• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with .224 Valkyrie guys/gals...

Negative... haven't shot it yet. I've been focused on a bolt gun purchase for PRS so I haven't touched the MSR. I'll definitely shoot it with different load recipes before I change anything. Still interested in your project though. Good luck!
Turns out that savage has a proprietary barrel nut and wrench. I have a 1:6.5 faxon barel on the way but cant get the barrel nut loose. No help from savage, they want to put another factory barrel on it. I have no desire to send it in again and have the same result. The barrel nut is the holdup right now. I've talked to some guys that had to cut it off. Its factory torqued to 75 ft pounds. Nothing I've found will fit it but I'll keep you posted.

Turns out that savage has a proprietary barrel nut and wrench. I have a 1:6.5 faxon barel on the way but cant get the barrel nut loose. No help from savage, they want to put another factory barrel on it. I have no desire to send it in again and have the same result. The barrel nut is the holdup right now. I've talked to some guys that had to cut it off. Its factory torqued to 75 ft pounds. Nothing I've found will fit it but I'll keep you posted.
If you do not mind tearing it up, maybe just some large pipe pliers or pipe wrench.

I would like to save the barrel nut if possible but in the end it has to come off...whatever it takes.
The barrel nut on the savage msr .224 is proprietary and savage is no help. I found that the nut is the same profile as a Remington so a Remington action wrench took it right off. As soon as the new barrel arrives I'll update.

Hey Woodshark- I'm very interested in how your BA barrel shoots. Have you swapped it yet? Any issues with the swapping process? I'm a bolt gun guy so I have little experience w a gas gun but I was gifted an MSR in 224V and I'm willing to spend money on a good barrel to help me get a shb-MOA rifle. Please keep us posted!
I got the new Faxon match barrel installed and it looks great. It's a 20in heavy fluted 1:6.5 twist. The barrel nut on the savage is proprietary to Savage but a Remington action wrench fits it [very tight). I had to change the gas block and tube as well. The savage gas system is around 12in long, not rifle length like the new barrel. I have not been to the range with the new setup but will keep you posted on performance.
20190116_163508.jpg
20190116_163516.jpg

Reactions: Lawless
Hey Woodshark- just checking in. Figured you'd shot the new setup by now. If so... howd it go? I'm about ready to take the plunge and pull the 18" barrel off mine. Just wanted to see if you still think it was worth it. Any major performance gains?

I got the new Faxon match barrel installed and it looks great. It's a 20in heavy fluted 1:6.5 twist. The barrel nut on the savage is proprietary to Savage but a Remington action wrench fits it [very tight). I had to change the gas block and tube as well. The savage gas system is around 12in long, not rifle length like the new barrel. I have not been to the range with the new setup but will keep you posted on performance.View attachment 7005414View attachment 7005415

I haven’t had any issues with my Valkyrie (mine is a Stag) but when it first came out there were tons of negative reviews on Fed ammo. Most were blown primers and savage rifle combo. I wonder if it’s the bolt/pin shape on savages mixed in with the high pressure of the 90 SMK loads.

I just shot a PSA 20" upper 6:5T on Monday with Federal 90SMK ammo and had no problems. Cases all looked great and will be reloading them. Average muzzle was 2540. More than impressed for what I have in it. I think Federal has figured out their ammo finally.

Reactions: lash