• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a new gun choice....

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I am new to the AR relm. I am looking at getting an AR style gun in .223 with a heavy barrel. I can't really make up my mind between Olympic Arms Model K8 Target Match Rifle or DPMS Panther Bull Twenty-Four Rifle. I am still open to other makers. I just need help in making a choice.

Re: Help with a new gun choice....

I've only had two ARs with heavier barrels. One had a medium heavy barrel and the other a DPMS LR308 with a 24" Bull barrel. I didn't care for the 24" heavy bull barrel. It felt too barrel heavy, just unbalanced unless shooting off a bench. The medium heavy was a better all around rifle. Shot just as well off hand, as off the bench or bipod. I would recommend a 20" heavy or medium heavy barrel like on the Rock River Predator Pursuit.

Really depends on the type of use you want from the rifle. A stainless 24" tube won't work as well as a 16" light contour for home defense, and that same 16" won't have the velocity to throw bullets farther down range than that 24".

That said, i've had experience with a few "heavier" barreled AR's. My favorite being a Rock River 16" HBAR with an ACOG. The shorter barrel was lighter than a 20" and it was easier to transport and carry. The shorter barrel was plenty stiff and the loss of velocity was not a big deal for my shooting, being inside 300 yards. It was a damn accurate carbine. I've also got a bone stock 20" A2 that I love to shoot. The rifle has a longer sight radius, and it a ball to shoot with irons farther than 300 yards.

Home defense is not an issue. I am looking for something that will be long range semi. I guess it would be more of a semi-auto sniper stick. I have my bolt guns, now I want a semi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gnab2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for something that will be long range...</div></div>

You may be limited there by both caliber and platform.

I had John Hollinger at White Oak Arms build a Heavy bbl AR.
He used a Wilson 20" bbl 7 twist in a Squad Designated Marksman bbl.
The bbl is fluted under the handguard.
This rifle weights 8# and shoots 1/2 MOA at 200yds
With 60 grn V-Max it shoots less than 1/2MOA @100.
With heavier bullets, 69grn, it is very accurate to 400yds.
I have not shot it past 400.
Call John and he can help.

Coach