• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with a Pre-ban SA M1A

jamesbern

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
CT
I'm considering picking this up. He is asking $1,600 and said he will include a 140 rd battle pack as well. I would need a pre-ban for an EBR chassis if I decided to do one in this lovely state. What's your take on these from this time period? Worth the price?

I know the guy from a local board so the fact I know the history of it is pretty good. Really wondering at what price I should just get it. They arn't getting any easier to get I would assume.

Ad below:

SA pre-ban M1A. Less than 500 rounds through it. Brand new sling and cleaning kit. Build date is 10/1990. Was bought brand new in 1991. I am the third owner. My uncle bought it new, sold it to his son and he (my cousin) sold it to me. In excellent condition! Includes: 2x 20 round mags, original stripper clip guide for the receiver and 45 stripper clips. This rifle has a TRW bolt. $1,600

Some more cool info. This serial # starts with 060***

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">042201 to 063000 This is the serial number range that I refer to as the Golden Age of the M1A. The receiver design had fully matured by this time. The receivers were hand finished by the original designer and master craftsman, Melvin Smith. Springfield Armory, Inc. was awash in USGI parts during this period. Thus, factory built standard model M1A rifles in this serial number range were built with a very high USGI parts count.</div></div>

DSCF2019-1.jpg

DSCF2021-1.jpg

Re: Help with a Pre-ban SA M1A

The older, M1A's are the best Springfield put out.

I got mine in 1977, for diget serial number 0068**. I shot the crap out of it since then shooting high power for the NG and I still shoot it today.

The only thing I've had to replace is shot out barrels and stetched out slings.

I don't know what the prices of M1As are not, but I wouldn't mine paying a bit more for an older one.

The one in the picture appears to be in excellent shape. One thing for sure, I don't see older M1As going down in value.

I would hate to see it boogered up by making it "tacti-cool".

for that kind of cash, you can get a more accurate, ergonomic, lighter (maybe) optics ready, accessories up the yin yang 308 AR.
hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for that kind of cash, you can get a more accurate, ergonomic, lighter (maybe) optics ready, accessories up the yin yang 308 AR.
hope this helps. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"I would need a pre-ban for an EBR chassis if I decided to do one in this lovely state" - <span style="color: #000099">he probably doesn't want a neutered rifle.</span></span>

I would buy it - I sold a pre-ban M1A manufactured in 1994 right before the ban was signed into law...still miss it to this day. As stated, it should have USGI parts throughout and are not only worth more $$ but, are better built IMHO than current production M1A's.

Check the barrel markings, trigger group, etc., you may have a matching TRW parts build throughout (since the bolt is TRW). If this is the case - that would really be a jewel and I would advise to buy it ASAP (like yesterday)!

my $0.02

Still have pics of my old M1A
cry.gif

aysuuu.jpg

The older springfields with US GI parts are becoming harder to find.I have owned standard models that would hold 1.5 @100 with ball ammo.M14 parts have gone through the roof as of late.Hope this helps with your decision.

I'd say that's a good price, especially if he's including ammo and such. That's assuming all parts are USGI.

I would buy it for that price, but $1500 would be even betTer.