• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help With Getting My Starter Rifle Remington 700

Nates4Christ

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2020
My goal is to have something like an M40A1 or an M40A3. I need help with my base Remington 700 before I start to build. I'm thinking about buying the rifle now and possibly upgrading the stock and barrel later. There is a custom shop here in town that does blueprinting. I'm just having problems getting my base rifle. The 24" 700P in 308 is perfect to get me started but they currently only offer it with a big tactical bolt. I need the iconic 700 flat bolt. I see they used to sell the police with the flat bolt, and I just missed out on one in the for sale group. Can anyone help me find a heavy barrel, 700 with the flat bolt?

I see the Remington 700 SPS tactical has the proper bolt. What is the general opinion of folks here on the Police vs the SPS Tactical in accuracy?

The sps is good but bass pro and cabelas has the 700 adl varmint for $500. You’ll be buying m40a3 bottom metal so no sense in buying it on a sps. Both are good choices I’d just get the one that’s easier and cheaper because the only thing you really need from either is the 700 short action.