• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help with optics selection

Rabidwolf

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Iowa
Ok first off I am fairly broke. I am a full time college student who stays home with my two kids while my wife works full time. So I do have some money but most of it is what I have scraped together here and there doing odd jobs. When we get our tax retuen am am going to be getting an Remington 700 SPS Varmint in a .308 and am looking for options on optics. This rifle will be used mainly for target shooting but will be taken hunting once in a while. I am looking to try and stay around $400 if I can maybe a bit more. I would like a mil dot reticule and be variable powered for when I use it hunting. Please help me decide on a good scope so that I can try and plan it into the budget.

Re: Help with optics selection

Bushnell Elite 5-15x40mm. I have one and it got me by for a long time. Glass is great and its dependable.

This looks like a good scope that I should be able to be used hunting and should work out to 600yds.

The Super Sniper would be better, but I dont know if you could get it for $400.

Hopefully my last tax form gets here asap so we can figure out how much we are getting back. Maybe I'll have some extra I can swindle out of my wife lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rabidwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok first off I am fairly broke. I am a full time college student who stays home with my two kids while my wife works full time. So I do have some money but most of it is what I have scraped together here and there doing odd jobs. When we get our tax retuen am am going to be getting an Remington 700 SPS Varmint in a .308 and am looking for options on optics. This rifle will be used mainly for target shooting but will be taken hunting once in a while. I am looking to try and stay around $400 if I can maybe a bit more. I would like a mil dot reticule and be variable powered for when I use it hunting. Please help me decide on a good scope so that I can try and plan it into the budget. </div></div>

SWFA Super Sniper 15x is perfect for you. If you have more cash then go to a Weaver FFP or another SS with HD glass. But you can't go wrong with the SS15x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rabidwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea 15X fixed is too high for hunting. </div></div>

Even in Iowa? I was under the impression a 200 - 400 yard shot could be fairly common there.

No rifle season in Iowa. My hunting will be done in Colorado

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rabidwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea 15X fixed is too high for hunting. </div></div>

Even in Iowa? I was under the impression a 200 - 400 yard shot could be fairly common there.

</div></div>

15x is fine for 200-400 yards, the 30 yard shots will be a bitch

Only a little more than your budget of $400, but I think is a faily good option. The Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 is a MidwayUSA special (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/...t-reticle-matte).

It is MIL/MIL and is a decent piece of glass. Variable to address hunting needs, but don't know if 5x is low enough (not a hunter so can't address that question). It has Vortex's version of zero stop, side focus, and a 30mm tube.

I've got one and plan to order another for a 223 AR. The other currently sits on a 223 Bolt Action.

5X should be just about right. I usually use 4X but can't think that 5 would be worse.

I would go with weaver tack 3-10-44 i think it's at midway for $299, its got mil-dot rec. I've heard lots of good talks about it tracking good with good glass to boot!

Midway has 4x18-40 Nikon buck masters mildot on sale for 275, it's a great scope I have one and I'm buying another for my 17hmr.