• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes help with optics

Mooseknuckles

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 11, 2014
    Just picked up one of the savage 10tr rifles from a local gun shop. Nice rifle. Like the bolt knob and having the option for a brake or surpressor. The accustock is nice but would like to do a bell and Carlson on it. Hopefully BC comes out with stocks for the bottom bolt release.
    Need to get some optics mounted up on it. Now here is my problem. I can't choose so I was hoping I could get some opinions. The scopes I am looking at are the swfa 3x15, weaver 3x15 TAC, and the vortex PST 4x16 SPF. I know all a very good scopes just would like some more opinions from more expenaced shoots. My budget is around 750. Thank guys.

I have the Weaver 4x20 TAC on my everyday varmint Model 12 and I love it. I took off the original varmint stock and put on a HS stock. Very nice shooting rifle. Shoots as well as my Remington 40x. I really enjoy shooting this Savage. However, I do have a SWFA 5x20 on a custom rifle that is just the finest I have ever used. I do have a SWFA 3x15 I'm not using only because I replaced it with the 50mm Weaver. Very nice scope if you go that route. If you are interested in a previously mounted one (SWFA 3x15) let me know. I don't care if I keep it or not. I may have a rifle in the future for it but right now I have no plans.

Yeah let me know what you want for the swfa. I might be interested in it. Does the weaver have good positive clicks like the swfa and the vortex? I would like yo have a 50 mm but I guess its not a big issue.

The mil clicks on the Weaver have been tested through trajectory validation and they are accurate/correct. Very nice budget scope with good glass. I recommend thinking about 50 mm. It is why I switched from 42 mm but only because of my age and the inevitable sight quality of my own eyes. It does make a difference. I will send a PM on the SWFA.

Would it be better to run a ffp or a sfp. I am mainly going to use the rifle for punching steel and maybe a match or two. If ffp is the better option then either the swfa or weaver would fit the bill better. I am not going to rule out the vortex herd great things about them.

FFP reticle

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Its sounds like the weaver has more of the options I looking for then. 50 mm objective ffp mil/mil. Only thing I wish it has was a zero stop. How many mils of adjustment are you getting out of you weaver?

I barely have 1000 yards with a 20 MOA base.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I have 2 Vortex PSTs and the Razor 5x20. Vortex makes excellent optics and I have been nothing but pleased with mine. The zero stop on the Viper series is a shim system which I did not like initially but I haven't had any problems with it and it works as advertised. The PST's track well and have very positive turrets. Out of the 3 you listed, I would take the Vortex hands down.

And vortex is one company I haven't ruled out. I know they make very good reliable glass. This is a very tough choice of optics. I know if I choose any of the three I would be happy with them but I keep going back to vortex. Famn this is a tough choice.

For the money, Vortex has an incredible list of features. On top of that, their bullet proof warranty is nothing to sneeze at. My vote if Vortex... hands down!!

DK