• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Helping my daughter....

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Okay youth turkey season this Saturday. Range session with the .410 didn't go great. Her check weld to stock isn't the best.
Causing shot pattern to go left, right, high, low..... I'm thinking of epoxying a weaver base on and adding a dot scope. She looked threw mine and said that would be much easier? So if I scuff up bottom of a weaver rail epoxy it on Barrle can I ever get it off? Just use heat on Barrle then tap with hammer? Thanks for replys if I'm going to do it gotta do it tonight. Only shooting 20 yards, FYI pattern isn't too bad with #6 fedels.
Going to use Devcon steel epoxy it's not tapped for bases, and don't
Have time to get that ? I'm just wondering if you can EVER get that epoxy
To let loose with heat or if it's forever on there??

Last edited:
Your problem isn't going to be getting it off. Your problem will be keeping it on! Putting a RDS on the gun will make fit worse. If stock fit is the problem fix that first. It could be as simple taping a couple of layers of heavy cardboard or light foam to the comb if you are in a hurry. You can buy a foam cheek pad with a self adhesive back for a more professional look but you may not have time to find one. GH

Duct tape and chunks of a rubber bitch (sleeping pad); works wonders in a "need it now" moment. When you're done, just pull the duct tape off....no need to add epoxy to this issue; it (epoxy) can be removed with heat...but not as easily as duct tape...and there will probably always be some epoxy residue left stuck on...

Last edited:
Totally with you guys on fit! I'm getting ACE bandage
And folding a sock tape shit out of it! Don't think rail will
Stay with epoxy??? Sure if I duct tape a rail on and
Red dot scope it will stay Zeroed ???? You really think the
Base and rds would pop off?

Last edited:
I would be concerned with the base coming off during the hunt or just before. I wouldnt trust it.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's Done!!! Used 20 lbs double tape to hold one base. Tape was 1/8" thick I let 1/2" from each end of base. Then I pushed
Hot glue under each end on all sides. This stabilized a very slight wobble. Then I wrapped tightly duct tape around ends of base leaving room for red dot. Then 1/2" dence foam on top of but for riser. Came out nice. Sight in tomorrow evening.

Turned out pretty rock solid! I might try this on my
Single shot 12 just to see how well this works..

Last edited:
OMG, I'm famous! You get the Bubba Gunsmith award. If this creation doesn't work, try drilling a 1/8" hole through the end of a strip of aluminum, like 1/2" by 4", bending the hole end up for a ghost sight ring, and duct taping this to the barrel. Bending and tweaking the strip for sighting in. A quick bore sighting down the barrel will probably get you close enough for a sight position.
More wisdom: Taking more shots will never improve a group.

Well just finished shooting at pap paps. It's mounting set up is rock solid! Held point of impact, and seems somewhat bullet proof?!
Of course this is under the huge recoiled of the mighty .410 :) but at 20 yards she is getting nice even pattern centered on target. So for you DYI guys tag this... Great in a pinch set up.

Had a long 10-12 shot shooting session last night.
Quinn shot real well. Tomorrow morning is the youth
Opener. Can't wait! Pics and video to follow.

(Sarcastic Tone) That is nothing special. I saw red jacket do the same thing on their long range precision rifle just last week. LOL. (/Sarcastic Tone)

Glad it worked. I'll have to remember that for my young'en.

Well the morning was as good as it gets. Had 12 turkey's under 15 yards in front of blind. One long bread with 8 hens, plus 2 jakes. I figured that was just asking for trouble with all those heads. There was 2 jakes about 12-14 yards I got one stopped and she couldn't pull the trigger!!! We where having trouble in practice with that. Pull was tested 9lbs I stoned it to 5 and stopped their. Should of went lower, but with a youth thought better. She was using two fingers and just couldn't get a break. I told her it was my fault and it was alright. But she had a world class case of the turkey shakes. Lol good times. I never thought the trigger was going to be our demise..... But the mount held up just fine!!!