• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hensoldt spotter 60

Gluv

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2017
Can anybody who owns a spotter 60 give me an idea how far away you can see individual bullet holes in paper say in .308 ? . I have the leupold Mk 4 at the moment and am thinking of upgrading. Nowhere locally stocks the 60 so it's difficult to get an idea of clarity

cheers
Chris

As Frank said ... Leupold is like a coke bottle. Swarovski is nice but the Hensoldt is the best.

Reactions: California
Even the Leupold GR HD is a bit of a step up from the Mk 4, The Mk 4's are great scopes but they are a Tactical Spotting Scope not a Target Scope, They are the best Tactical Spotter made, So people need to be more aware of what they are buying at the time of purchase,

hope this helps.

John.

Not many reviews online about this spotter...mind you those that I have seen all rave about it .
i have been looking for Franks review but I can't find it....can somebody point me in the right direction please
Gluv

Ask around at your local tactical matches and maybe you'll meet someone who has one you can look through, and then you can see for yourself how clear it is.

There are more than a few of us on here that own these units.
PLRF10002_zpsd5c6ad87.jpg

Last edited:
I had the chance to play with one of these at a local match and I regret it. I have never seen anything so beautiful, but thankfully it's way out of my price range or at least I can't justify owning one at this point.

The price is not too bad, It's the Divorce which is the Killer.

A local guy has one of these. It is absolutely amazing. The price is the only thing keeping me from owning one. And I will eventually own one.

Kowa Prominar TSN 880 with 25-60x eyepiece http://kowa-prominar.com/product/spottingscope/tsn880.html add their 1.6x extender http://www.kowaproducts.com/KowaTSN-EX1616xExtender/KowaTSN-EX1616xextender/ and you have 96 power at the high end.

Here is a good review: http://www.rokslide.com/gear/optics/261-swarovski-atx85-kowa-884 add the 1.6x extender and for me the Kowa is a clear winner.

Older review but worth reading: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/scope-quest-2008-our-review-of-spotting-scopes/

I can see .556 holes on 300 yard paper no problem and 308 bullet impacts, the change in the color on well used plates, on steal at 600 yards.

I’ve spotted through many different scopes never had eyes through anything better.

I have now bitten the bullet and ordered the 60 I just have to wait a few days for it to turn up now

I used another guys and could see 223 holes in black paper at 600 yards. Very impressive scope.

Kowa Prominar TSN 880 with 25-60x eyepiece http://kowa-prominar.com/product/spottingscope/tsn880.html add their 1.6x extender http://www.kowaproducts.com/KowaTSN-EX1616xExtender/KowaTSN-EX1616xextender/ and you have 96 power at the high end.

Here is a good review: http://www.rokslide.com/gear/optics/261-swarovski-atx85-kowa-884 add the 1.6x extender and for me the Kowa is a clear winner.

Older review but worth reading: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/scope-quest-2008-our-review-of-spotting-scopes/

I can see .556 holes on 300 yard paper no problem and 308 bullet impacts, the change in the color on well used plates, on steal at 600 yards.

I’ve spotted through many different scopes never had eyes through anything better.

Kowa makes a DAMN nice spotting scope which spots trace like magic --I'm sure there are better but I haven't used them. But it's a target spotter, not a tactical spotter. It's not built for abuse at all, we had to baby the shit out of them and keep them in their covers. I guess we bought ten? for the SDM school when we started it along with angled eyepieces. Great glass, awesome focal adj. for spotting trace and mirage better, 60x was much nicer than the compact 40x's issued to snipers at the time, particularly at longer ranges where you could easily spot 5.56 trace to nearly 1000m (crapshoot to hit anything with an M4 past 600 but fun to try...) and with the tall stand, being able to sit instead of going prone was nice too. At $1600+ in 2002, they were still costly.

I'm considering the Mk4 and ConX/Kestrel package just because I can't afford the Hensoldt.... I wish I could. I need something more "field-worthy" for when I shoot long range in the mountains or desert. Is there another "tactical" (god I hate the fucking word anymore) spotter that's compact, 60x, better than the Leupold but not as nice as the Hensoldt? And tough? With some kind of milling reticle? An in-between-er? Preferably priced closer to the Leupold of course.

I have two buds that have them.
The above is the best scenario one can have.
Glass is stupid good.
Unbeatable for glass plus reticle.

R

^^^ that has divorce written all over it, BUT IT'S WORTH IT!!!!

Kowa makes a DAMN nice spotting scope which spots trace like magic --I'm sure there are better but I haven't used them. But it's a target spotter, not a tactical spotter. It's not built for abuse at all, we had to baby the shit out of them and keep them in their covers. I guess we bought ten? for the SDM school when we started it along with angled eyepieces. Great glass, awesome focal adj. for spotting trace and mirage better, 60x was much nicer than the compact 40x's issued to snipers at the time, particularly at longer ranges where you could easily spot 5.56 trace to nearly 1000m (crapshoot to hit anything with an M4 past 600 but fun to try...) and with the tall stand, being able to sit instead of going prone was nice too. At $1600+ in 2002, they were still costly.

I'm considering the Mk4 and ConX/Kestrel package just because I can't afford the Hensoldt.... I wish I could. I need something more "field-worthy" for when I shoot long range in the mountains or desert. Is there another "tactical" (god I hate the fucking word anymore) spotter that's compact, 60x, better than the Leupold but not as nice as the Hensoldt? And tough? With some kind of milling reticle? An in-between-er? Preferably priced closer to the Leupold of course.

OPTOLYTH,...they make a fine spotter with a decent MIL compatible ret. Great glass and a price thats not outrageous.

The Optolyth was unusable at Rifles Only

nobody would touch it the picture was so bad, I get it, just like everything else IOR they chase quality, when something doesn't work they try again, doesn't work, try again 3 Generations later you might get lucky with something

We had one down at Rifles Only for review on here, could not use it in TX, too much mirage for it, the picture was washed out, spotting was worthless. It actually became an issue because everyone would try to stick the other guys with the Optolyth, we finally had to get rid of it.

But for those chasing cost saving, they are happy to tell themselves what a great value it is

I hope that Minox tactical spotter is decent whenever it comes out, it's priced right.

Personally, I wouldn't say that "everything pales" in comparison to the Hensoldt and Swarovski. In my opinion, the Leica Televid APO is right up there with them. I've had one of these since 2001, and I can tell you that the clarity is very very awesome. I've looked thru the Hensoldt and my Leica side by side, and I actually thought the Leica was clearer. Mind you, there is some personal bias in there.

However, the Leica does lack a reticle, whilst the Hensoldt has a very usable reticle in the picture, as well as 1913 rails, which the Leica lacks as well. For a pure tactical spotter, the Hensoldt is clearly better for your needs. But if you simply need a good spotter to see bullet holes, the Leica will do just as well, for about half the price. I got mine for less than 2k actually, but that was pre inflation times.

Bought an Optolyth 100 about 20 years ago and it has flawless optics. Pretty hard to beat flourite lenses made by Schott in Germany. Had it side by side with several spotters and Swaro is the only one that comes close. Wonder if the one at RO was out of collimation? I certainly won't part with mine.

Hensoldt Spotter 60
APO Opto/electric rail mount
Vectronix PLRF 25C w trigger cable
1x RDS
Manfrotto 055 CF tripod
Manfrotto 405 Gear Head
Trimble Nomad running FFS
RAM mount for Trimble

This is an older picture and fabricated a QD adapter where the PLRF can be mounted on the side of the Spotter.

Last edited:
If you don’t need the Tactical and smaller profile of the 60, take a look through the Swarovski BTX setup. I can use it for hours without the fatigue I get with a single ocular

Would be very interested to see what the H-32 reticle looks like if anyone has a pic or diagram of it. thx.

It does. An L-shaped Mil-Dot. To be honest, the H-32 reticle is better, but changing reticles is not possible...or rather affordable. That's why I will sell my new Spotter 60 to get a custom Spotter 60 with H-32. The Spotter 45 has the H-32 by default.

Sir is the H-32 centered or is it offset to the left as is the L in the 60-?
Thanks!

Didn't know if I would like the horus.
Seemed busy and like it would cover to much field of view.
After spending time behind one I favored it for corrections on wind and elevation.
Best of all I have two buds that own them. lol

R

I'm not a fan of the Horus style reticles on my rifle scopes since they are a bit busy to me, but I can see the value of them on a nice big spotter. I'll have to get in touch with the guys at Euro. Have bought a bunch of stuff from them. I'm a regular customer over there!

You can try and find who has that rare Gen2 Mildot in the spotter60 which is only 15-45x zoom. I had one but sold it to a friend. It was nice, but I feel the H32 is fast superior especially for spotting corrections. I'm not a fan of the L Mildot in the 60.