• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Hey it's free right?"

Apache

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
Chico, CA
So quick back story: I am presently employed at two jobs. During the day I am a leasing agent for a rather large property management company. Immediately following that job, I run across town and finish off the night at an indoor range.

We had a rather large amount of ammo that had been turned in over the years by individuals looking to get rid of it for whatever reason.

Over the years, apparently all of the accumulated ammunition and supplies began to take up entirely too much space in the stock room, and in an effort to alleviate some space, our manager gave us permission to raid the old shelves before disposing of everything properly.

This is what I came out with.

Mostly #7 and #8 Shotgun shot, couple slugs and 00b, ton of OLD .22lr ammo (lot #'s date back to the 70's, including some copper cased .22lr)

~50 M1 ball .30-06 FMJ
11 7mm Mauser
~15 8mm Mauser
20 6.5x55 Swede
~30 7.62x54r
2 .308 core lokt
76 .30-30 softpoint

The fact that this came free of charge makes me all the more appreciative, I'll find something to shoot it out of.

What I do need some help with though, were some fairly full 1lb cans of IMR powders. Date's go back to 76 on some of these and powder all looks fresh with no signs of corrosion/deterioration.

Please bear with me as this is more of a reloading subforum question, but I'm currently using a 175smk in a .308: which powder would be better for these?

IMR 4320
IMR 4350
IMR 3031

I've been doing some research and looking up what info that I can, and I understand the temperature sensitivities on these powders compared to some of the more modern powders like Varget, but just a starting point would be nice.

Thanks for the help in advance.