• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Hi from the UK and a plea to save my sanity!

Vipa

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
North East UK
www.phfinancial.co.uk
Hi all...

I need help with my understanding!! (probably with a lot more than that but that's for another day!!
crazy.gif

Ok.. My hunting stick is a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 and I mounted my Swaro Z6i with Optilock rings and bases... The most challenging decision I had to make was which ring height to choose..

Now, onto my new rifle, a Sako TRG-22 Stealth in .308W. Atop that will live a metric S&B PMII DT with MSR Ret courtesy of Finnaccuracy (as soon as they are available!) I intend to secure the PMII onto my TRG with one of the new Spuhr Sniper/Marksmen mounts from Sweden.

They offer the mount in standard elevations of 20 & 40MOA but I can order anything from 0-60MOA. the DT PMII has 273cm (93 MOA) of 1cm clicks and I will be shooting anywhere from 40yds out to the effective range of the cartridge, so 900-1200yds depending on conditions.

What elevation do I need/want on the mount (if any) ?? Just can't get my head round this.

Also, is there any advantage whatsoever in fitting a Piticanny rail or should I just attach the mount to the TRG using the inbuilt dovetails? I have the option to order the mount with either attachment system but obviously would have to buy a rail if that's the route to go down. I have no intention at this point of swapping optics around.

Thanks
Paul
wink.gif

Edit... Should have mentioned, I would prefer to have a 100yd (or probably 100m) zero.

Re: Hi from the UK and a plea to save my sanity!

Look up the total elevation travel for your scope. Divide that in 1/2. That is the maximum moa you need for a canted bass.

Example: Total elevation is 50moa. 1/2 of that is 25up and 25 down. If you get a 20moa base you will have 45moa of UP elevation and 5 moa of down elevation (approximately).

The TRG 22 will need a maximum of 40moa of up elevation to shoot 1000 yards. So if you have 80moa or more of total elevation, you can get by with a 0moa base, bacause you will have 40moa of up and 40 of down. If it is less than that, a 20moa base is probaby enough.

The standard 20MOA canted base will serve you well. While you aren't likely to need the cant to get to 1k with your rifle/scope combination, it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. A 20MOA cant to your mount will give you roughly 60MOA (perhaps a little more) of total elevation adjustment which is more than sufficient to get you out to about the max effective range a .308 will handle, as well as permit a 100yd zero.

Vipa

The TRG mount comes in two various tilts, that is 7mils/24moa and 13mils/44,44moa.
The SuB single turn scopes have a 13 mils total elevation and the duoble turn have 26 mils elevation.
According to SuB recomendations the tilt of the mount should be half of the elevation, that is 6,5mils or 13 mils depending on scope.

That is right that we can manufacture the mounts in any tilt, but that requires a minimum order of 10 mounts, othervise can we not do it.

But the current mounts that are 7 mils and 13 mils, are specifically made to fit the PMll line, so there is really no need for changes.

Please drop me an email at [email protected] and I will reply with catalog, pricelists and manuals for the mounts.

Best Regards Håkan