• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing HIGH COUNTRY MARMOT HUNTING

mp45acp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
behind enemy lines, so.cal.
Going up to the high country, Sierra's in a few weeks to hunt Marmots.
pretty much a mountain rock chuck.

havent decided yet if I feel manly enough to carry my 14 pound .308 tac rifle, my 12 pound .243 or my 7 pound .17hmr.
grin.gif

5 to 6 mile hike, all uphill, switchbacks, 2 night trip, 9600' to 10000' elevation hunting. typical eastern sierra hiking.

I was wondering if anyone else has done such a trip?

Re: HIGH COUNTRY MARMOT HUNTING

Never tote my gear that high,but hunted at that elevation,3 days is all I could stand. That with a cantee,fanny pack and a 9 pound 300wm hunting rifle. Your total poundage on gear you will be toting up the mountain? If its straight up,its going to be a bitch,but if it has a few flats or meases,it might be a little easily. Heavy gear and not being adapted to the high atliude,could be go fifty yards and break...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going up to the high country, Sierra's in a few weeks to hunt Marmots.

havent decided yet if I feel manly enough to carry my 14 pound .308 tac rifle, my 12 pound .243 or my 7 pound .17hmr.
grin.gif

5 to 6 mile hike, all uphill, switchbacks, 2 night trip, 9600' to 10000' elevation hunting. typical eastern sierra hiking.

</div></div>

10,000' in the Sierras will be in the snow. You may have greater success at lower altitudes.

+1
If you are in excellant shape, that is one thing. If not, don't take a ton of rifle and a ton of gear. All uphill to 10000 isn't something to sneeze at if you don't do it often.

My standard load is about 40 pounds, thats just a backpack trip, sidearm etc.
I would like to keep my pack weight to 25% of my body weight, 190 pds/47.5 pounds.
I am just having trouble deciding which rifle to bring.
I love having that problem
grin.gif

2j2awk9.jpg

This was taken from 10,000' looking down at the cloud cover at 7,500 last weekend in the Sierras. Good luck with those Marmots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going up to the high country, Sierra's in a few weeks to hunt Marmots.

grin.gif

</div></div>

10,000' in the Sierras will be in the snow. You may have greater success at lower altitudes.

</div></div>

unfortunatly these little bastards live at 9000' and above, usually at treeline.

i have checked snow, not too bad.
we will be south of mammoth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going up to the high country, Sierra's in a few weeks to hunt Marmots.

grin.gif

</div></div>

In the wilds of Montana and Idaho, a Model 41 Smith an Wesson was enough many years ago. Then again yours may have been trained by the Crips or Bloods,... think,... 300wm
grin.gif

They'll come up and eat trail-mix off your boots here in Colorado. Then again, I'm not aiming a gun at them.

In Washington you would have to " Gun and run" because the Game Dept would sling your hind end 10 ways to Sunday if they caught you lighting up their beloved PROTECTED Marmots.

+1 In Wa. St. Marmots are "protected". They've even closed NFS rds. for them beacause they're "endangered".

Pigeons occur at much lower altitudes and are about the equal of marmots when it comes to the level of sportsmanship needed to "hunt" them. Additionally, "hunting" pigeons would be doing a greater service as they create quite a mess anywhere they happen to congregate.

Illegal Aliens occur at even lower altitudes, I even know where they regulary hang out, Home Depot, not too sure where they fit in the "sporting game" regulations.
hunting them would be of greater service to ALL the citizens of the USA...
Anyone know where I can get some tags?

My load out is 33 lbs when I have to go really light. But when we're at altitude I take the 10-14 days to acclimate before doing anything serious. Not really practical for you but just say'n.

What kind of range we talking for taking the little buggers (look like rock chucks to me)? Trying to shoot 17HMR at distance is challenging enough. I'd suggest the 243 but if you're talking 5-6 miles/day it's not that bad. What is your base camp (or parking) elevation?

Don't forget ammo. You going to pack 300 - 500 rounds of ammo up there or what?
grin.gif

Range can vary from 50 yards to ??? far as you want to engage.

i agree with the 17 hmr if there is ANY wind, im screwed.

parking lot elevation is 6300'

base camp elevation as about 9500'

yeah, with the 17 I could bring 300 rounds easily.

Not so much with the .308

I am considering just spending some money on a freakin Eberlestock Gunslinger Pack, and taking my .308 at 14 pounds.

my standard load for 3 days is about 35 pounds, so add 14 for the rifle, 5 for the ammo.. it will be painful.

I spend most of my weekend at about 9000' chasing chuck all over the wasatch mountains. its a riot! I take my .308, drag bag, rangefinder, daily supplies and snacks and then disappear into the mountains. I get shots from 50 to about 600 yds, they are fun to hunt. It feels like you are deer hunting a little bit. Ive had some pretty exciting shots up there. You just have to make sure that you hit them good because if you just nick them, they'll get away, even with a 308.