• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High school player hits 3 homeruns in one inning

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Brad Degnan set a California record with three home runs in a single inning — Family photoBrad Degnan set a California record with three home runs in a single inning — Family photo

Ted Williams is one of the best hitters of all time, at any level. Is it possible that one California teen may be even better? By at least one statistical measure, Woodside (Cal.) High junior Brad Degnan has the legendary number 9 topped; only Degnan hit three home runs in a single inning.

Of course, Degnan is the only player in history to hit three homers in a single inning. The shots all came in the first inning of a 24-6 victory against Westmoor-Daly City (Cal.) High, and all were impressive blasts. According to the San Jose Mercury News, Degnan’s first homer was a line drive shot down the right field line, his second a 375-foot bomb to right field and his final a homer that just escaped the bounds of the center field fence.

"I've never seen anything like it," Woodside coach Tim Faulkner told the Mercury News. "All three of Degnan's homers were legit.

"Brad Degnan is the best hitter I've coached in my nine years at Woodside."

As previously mentioned, according to the Cal-Hi State Sports Record Book, Degnan is the first player to hit three home runs in a single inning. The aforementioned Williams hit two in an inning for San Diego (Cal.) Hoover High in a victory against South Pasadena (Cal.) High back in 1936, before he went on to a Hall of Fame career in Boston.

Degnan also tied the existing state mark for most RBI in an inning, totaling eight via his three home runs.

The three single-inning round-trippers brought Degnan’s season total to nine and his career total to 15. With more than a year of his career still to come, its likely that number will swell, perhaps significantly.

For now, Degnan will have to be content with three homers in a single inning.

Kid has talent obviously. Trot Nixon hit 5 HR's in one game against my local high school in the early 1990's..he also combined with 6 innings for a no hitter the same game.

I first saw the title and wondered why the big deal, then saw the part that said INNING!! Things like this are why baseball can sometimes be appreciated as one-of-a-kind. It will likely never happen again; just like Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in one inning vs Dodgers. Any pitcher or coach still pitching to a guy like this likely doesn't know the game very well, or had given up(it was his 3rd AB of the first ininning.

I first saw the title and wondered why the big deal, then saw the part that said INNING!! Things like this are why baseball can sometimes be appreciated as one-of-a-kind. It will likely never happen again; just like Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in one inning vs Dodgers. Any pitcher or coach still pitching to a guy like this likely doesn't know the game very well, or had given up(it was his 3rd AB of the first ininning.

Or Reggie Jackson hitting three back to back homers in the final game of the world series.

Yes, I watched that in awe. I saw an interview a few months ago, and Jackson said that when they brought in Charlie Hough for the last one, he thought they were playing games; he had always hit knucklers pretty well. So Hough warms up, and then serves up, a monstrous blast Jackson hit like 500ft. Didn't know the player very well, I guess, or maybe they were counting on the old knuckler to miss a lot, but he missed the wrong way. That's another one I don't think we'll ever see again. We've had the 3 hr W.S. games, sure, but Reggie, Billy, Stienbrenner, Gossage, the Bronx Zoo, those were crazy days.