• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

high speed gear woosatchA plate carrier

Smcarroll

gun nut
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Montana/Wyoming
So I am in the market for a plate carrier that will fit over my winter clothing. I am a big Guy, 6' 3" in my bare feet and around 300 lbs. Yeah yeah go on a diet fatty. Whatever. From what I have heard this is a very large plate carrier and its a quality piece. Anyone have any experience with it?

Chest Rigs | Chest Rig Plate Carrier

You are right they are big. As far as quality goes hsgi makes good stuff but IMO this is a pretty disappointing plate carrier. There are much better plate carriers out there but as far as larger sizes I don't have much experience there.

It was great about 10 years ago (I ran a Wasatch in OIF 2004), but compared to what's out there now I think you have better options.

Such as? I am looking at the PIG as well. Size is the main issue here, I want something I can wear out hunting in the winter over my clothes.

Are you wanting to wear plates or just carry some mags and gear? I have a pig and really like it but you may be right on the size being too small.

I have a load bearing vest for carrying gear but I want something that I can carry gear and mags on with the option of adding plates.

I'm a big fan of the layered approach to armor. I like starting with a IIIa concealment vest as a base, with a sidearm and a couple mags on my hip, which was all that was needed to move around in our little FOB. If we stayed in a more permissive environment where plates and helmets weren't needed, I'd just throw the Wasatch over the vest, but in most cases I'd "up armor" by throwing a plate carrier over the vest. These days I use the Mayflower Low Profile carrier and their UW rig with the fastex buckles. Those two items right there allow you to have a chest rig you can wear without armor or plug directly into your armor and the carrier can be worn with or without plates. Lots of versatility and not a bank-breaker like the Crye gear.

The thing that attracted me to the woosach is that its designed to go over soft armor. I figure once I get on all my clothes plus a 3xl carhartt Arctic wear jacket the lack of padding in the woosach wont be noticeable. From my research these carriers are rather large and uncomfortable without shoulder strap pads and under padding.

Finally got this out for a test run. I really like it. It rides good and I had no problems with it while in my vehicle. Would recommend to someone looking for a big plate carrier.