• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

highest quality hearing protection?

I use a set of ESP Dynamics (Approx $2400)

Give Jack a call and he will walk you through it - My order below. They're the best if you're willing to spend the money.

SoundGear might be worth a look if you're on a budget (Approx 1k)
The ESP's have been top of my list do you have contact info for Jack?

Until someone makes a set of electronic muffs or plugs that are rated over 32db passive the best option is still a set of foamies paired with electronic muffs so you can still hear range commands. Most people want or need to be able to hear other things, so they sacrifice hearing protection for a set of electronic in ear or muffs. The best option is to combine foamies with a set of electronic muffs, you still get all the production of 32+db passive protection, the ability to hear range commands/convos etc. with the electronic muffs, and the benefit of the bone vibration attenuation muffs are supposed to offer. If your concern is maximum hearing protection that's the best option, period.

What people don't understand, if you have a set of in ear electronic plugs/muffs, and their passive rating is 25db, regardless of the electronics "closing down" you still never get more than 25db of protection, it's just that it lets other sounds through.

I honestly believe in another 30 years, we're going to see generations of shooters that used electronic muffs/plugs that only have 20-25db ratings with hearing damage. Especially with so many shooters now using indoor ranges regularly.

I've used all the spendy molded options and it is ear dependant but for me most lose some of their "seal" when I have a good cheek weld on a rifle. If you use just in-ear you do have the issue of the vibration along the bones into the ear, that muffs supposedly help attenuate.

Hearing Protection: Word to the Wise

I have to deal with significant high-frequency hearing loss (no, not from shooting, from infancy severe ear infections). What people do not understand is that once you lose hearing, it's gone forever. You never recover what you have lost, so every bit you keep, is worth it. Having said that, I never shoot anymore without using both 30dB foam plugs properly inserted in the ear canal and then active hearing protection. I always "double up" on ear pro. Always. If you are not doing this at indoor ranges, please start saving now for the cost of good hearing aids, and ditto if you are shooting a lot of rifles outside without doubling up.

I've purchased them ALL, and have spent a lot of money trying all the high-end models. My favorite remains M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector For me, they are the most comfortable and afford me the level of protection I need and want. I've used them in many weekend long training classes, keeping them on for many, many hours at a time, never a problem.

The problem with *only* in ear hearing pro, even the most expensive you can buy, is that they do not offer as much protection due to bone conductivity A high-quality muff system offers that.

When it comes to your hearing, every bit of hearing you lose accumulates, in my case, the hearing loss got so bad that by age 48 I had to use digital hearing aids to function in the workplace to hear human speech clearly.
So....word to the wise and all that.

Reactions: Newenglandwood
Hearing Protection: Word to the Wise

I have to deal with significant high-frequency hearing loss (no, not from shooting, from infancy severe ear infections). What people do not understand is that once you lose hearing, it's gone forever. You never recover what you have lost, so every bit you keep, is worth it. Having said that, I never shoot anymore without using both 30dB foam plugs properly inserted in the ear canal and then active hearing protection. I always "double up" on ear pro. Always. If you are not doing this at indoor ranges, please start saving now for the cost of good hearing aids, and ditto if you are shooting a lot of rifles outside without doubling up.

I've purchased them ALL, and have spent a lot of money trying all the high-end models. My favorite remains M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector For me, they are the most comfortable and afford me the level of protection I need and want. I've used them in many weekend long training classes, keeping them on for many, many hours at a time, never a problem.

The problem with *only* in ear hearing pro, even the most expensive you can buy, is that they do not offer as much protection due to bone conductivity A high-quality muff system offers that.

When it comes to your hearing, every bit of hearing you lose accumulates, in my case, the hearing loss got so bad that by age 48 I had to use digital hearing aids to function in the workplace to hear human speech clearly.
So....word to the wise and all that.

Yep. I've got the same electronic muffs, and I use disposable foamies under them. Works pretty well. I wish I had MORE protection. I have significant tinnitus already... likely from being on an aircraft carrier for two years and being a dentist for 30 years (so far).

For indoors, I don't use the electronic muffs. Instead I use heavy duty non-electronic muffs that offer more noise reduction (higher rating than the e-muffs) along with foamies. I always, ALWAYS double up - indoors or outdoors.

It sucks that we have the NFA making it difficult and expensive to own suppressors. I won't go through the process and registration. I simply will not do that. Once registered, "they know." So, there's that. :sneaky:

Reactions: Centuriator
Shooting suppressed with full hearing pro is the bees-knees. As for them "knowing" .... dude, they already know. I would not worry about that.

Shooting suppressed with full hearing pro is the bees-knees. As for them "knowing" .... dude, they already know. I would not worry about that.

I was expecting that answer (about they already know). It's not quite true, because you're equating two very different things. With a REGISTERED NFA item, they know and can prove you have it and you STILL have it. By law, you must inform them of any change in the status of your NFA possessions.

With normal firearms purchases (from an FFL), at MOST, they know you bought it at one time. It's a historical record. But, they do not know the CURRENT disposition, nor can they prove it. Big, BIG difference.

I sold it to some guy. I lost it in a tragic boating accident. It was stolen.

Not the case with NFA items. I won't buy anything that requires registration. There's a huge difference between registration and filling out a 4473. HUGE.

It sucks, but them's the facts. That's not to mention the EXPENSE of suppressors as a result of this process. Supply / demand, and all that.

But, we all have our "line in the sand," eh? :) I like to say, "Your mileage may vary."

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think the ops core AMP with there ear plugs together is rated at 34
4049C0B1-8FE9-4037-8750-0441C291EF07.png

Yep. I've got the same electronic muffs, and I use disposable foamies under them. Works pretty well. I wish I had MORE protection. I have significant tinnitus already... likely from being on an aircraft carrier for two years and being a dentist for 30 years (so far).

It sucks that we have the NFA making it difficult and expensive to own suppressors. I won't go through the process and registration. I simply will not do that. Once registered, "they know."

Not the case with NFA items. I won't buy anything that requires registration. There's a huge difference between registration and filling out a 4473. HUGE.

It sucks, but them's the facts. That's not to mention the EXPENSE of suppressors as a result of this process. Supply / demand, and all that.

I empathize with you. It is insane that in Great Britain and Europe I hear (sorry) that “moderators,” as they call them, are near mandatory and at least, easy to obtain.

If you saw my post above, I have lost hearing even after being very careful.

I selectively quoted you because I think you may not be making the choice that will give you the most happiness in the short time we each have left on this Earth.

Since you are, or have been, a dentist, cost is probably not an issue.

If “they” know, and they come to get your suppressor, at least you will have enjoyed the suppressed shooting (and if you’re me, have saved some hearing).

I respect you’re principled stand, but given that you already have significant hearing damage, I’d side with your ears. It’s nice to hear your kids, your wife, or your grandchildren say, “I love you.”

I empathize with you. It is insane that in Great Britain and Europe I hear (sorry) that “moderators,” as they call them, are near mandatory and at least, easy to obtain.

If you saw my post above, I have lost hearing even after being very careful.

I selectively quoted you because I think you may not be making the choice that will give you the most happiness in the short time we each have left on this Earth.

Since you are, or have been, a dentist, cost is probably not an issue.

If “they” know, and they come to get your suppressor, at least you will have enjoyed the suppressed shooting (and if you’re me, have saved some hearing).

I respect you’re principled stand, but given that you already have significant hearing damage, I’d side with your ears. It’s nice to hear your kids, your wife, or your grandchildren say, “I love you.”

It's more of a principled stand than a financial issue. But, to be clear... if they know I have a suppressor, and "they come".... it's not them taking the suppressor that worries me. It's the guns (or even me) they'd be coming for. I'd rather not be on THAT list. With registration, I would effectively be engaged in a PARTNERSHIP with the government. I have no desire for that. At all. And, yes... If it means my ears are less protected, so be it.

I can still hear conversations fine. And, I'll continue to double up on ear pro. But, I'm not registering with the .gov to own a device. No way, no how. Your mileage may vary. :)

It's more of a principled stand than a financial issue. But, to be clear... if they know I have a suppressor, and "they come".... it's not them taking the suppressor that worries me. It's the guns (or even me) they'd be coming for. I'd rather not be on THAT list. With registration, I would effectively be engaged in a PARTNERSHIP with the government. I have no desire for that. At all. And, yes... If it means my ears are less protected, so be it.

I can still hear conversations fine. And, I'll continue to double up on ear pro. But, I'm not registering with the .gov to own a device. No way, no how. Your mileage may vary. :)

Whatever makes you sleep better at night

• Haha
Reactions: Racer88
Whatever makes you sleep better at night

LOL! I've got a LOT of things keeping me up at night. This isn't one of them, really. LOL!

Mostly it's the tinnitus! ;) Naaaa... my problem is my brain turns ON when I go to bed. I think about shit way too much.

What features dictate different price points? Prices go anywhere from $500 - 2k+. I was looking at NRR rating but they seem to be somewhat consistent across all price points. I'm not law enforcement, just a guy who RO's shoots in PRS (generally at the range once a week). My hearing is not the best and i don't want it to get worse. Im not sure what data to collect that will help make my decision?
I’m sorry for my slow reply.
I can’t comment on any of the other options but mine are hearing aids and protection in one. You have to provide hearing tests so they can set them up for your hearing loss. Outdoors with suppression, these are more than adequate. I was comfortable with them on the lowest sound amplification with a muzzle brake on a 300 WSM outside. I actually still doubled up with muffs but I almost never shoot without suppression anymore. I also don’t shoot PRS or anything else besides 22 LR matches and mine are way more than enough for a 22 match.

Those advocating for foam in ear and electronic muffs makes sense to me. Especially at busy ranges or matches. Indoors just take all precautions you can

I got fitted for a hearing aid years ago. Upon learning that I shoot firearms frequently, my audiologist told me that once you reach about 33 dB of hearing protection in your ear canal, any additional is wasted as the damaging sound starts to penetrate your skull and still damages your hearing. His recommendation was foam plugs along with muffs. The muffs were simply to add protection in the event the foam plugs weren't sealing properly. To fully protect against hearing damage, you have wear what he called a space helmet like is used in high noise industrial facilities. Your best bet is to shoot suppressed and wear hearing protection and always wear protection in an area where you have to shout to be heard like around a tractor, lawn mower, pressure washer, generator etc.

I got fitted for a hearing aid years ago. Upon learning that I shoot firearms frequently, my audiologist told me that once you reach about 33 dB of hearing protection in your ear canal, any additional is wasted as the damaging sound starts to penetrate your skull and still damages your hearing. His recommendation was foam plugs along with muffs. The muffs were simply to add protection in the event the foam plugs weren't sealing properly. To fully protect against hearing damage, you have wear what he called a space helmet like is used in high noise industrial facilities. Your best bet is to shoot suppressed and wear hearing protection and always wear protection in an area where you have to shout to be heard like around a tractor, lawn mower, pressure washer, generator etc.

All I got out of that was “buy more suppressors” haha

But on a serious note, good info. I’ve been trying to up my hearing pro before I regret it later in life

Dude, please...let us all tell you this. WE DO NOT GIVE A SHIT. If you dont' want to register, whatever..you are not impressing anyone. Whatever.
Not trying to "impress" anyone... Just the reason I won't get a suppressor.... Which sucks, but it is what it is.

Was able to get ahold of the ops core amp with their inner ear plugs. Headset is insane, Absolutely phenomenal all around