• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HK G3 match grade barrel

kal

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2014
Do you have any info regarding how can I purchase and install a match grade barrel at a HK G3?
Can I make any modifications by myself IOT make the existing one a free floating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck, barrels are law I free floating, remove the HG and it is full free float. Match barrels would need a fluted chamber, not worth the headaches for still a semi auto if you want better accuracy get an AR.
Cheers

Do you have any info regarding how can I purchase and install a match grade barrel at a HK G3?
Can I make any modifications by myself IOT make the existing one a free floating?

Another poor soul sucked into the roller-lock whirlwind lost and never to been heard from again, eh?!?! ;)

Purchase...yes. Adam Webber/HKParts.net usually have inventory of quality match barrels for both MSG-90/90A1 and PSG-1 clone rifle builds, including LW, Schneider, Douglas, etc. Depending on mfg, a match barrel for an HK91 will run you $750+ up to ~$1k for JUST THE BARREL (noth the accompanying PSG/MSG style trunnion which you really will need to run to get the most accuracy out of any match barrel on an HK91 style rifle).

Install yourself...NO! I see people all the time professing that they can do and have done barrel swaps (match or otherwise) on their HK91/PTR91 rifles using some of the most bizarre tooling, including hub pullers and impact wrenches to accomplish the job!! NUTS!!! JUST PLAIN NUTS!!! By way of example...let me just walk you through some of what's required just to properly remove the existing barrel from your rifle. First, you have a cross pin that goes through the barrel extension that must first be removed. That pin is swagged in place. You must remove the swage from one side and then drive out the pin. An end mill cutter in a millng machine is usually the only way to go for that job unless you really want to @#$% stuff up or have a mess on your hands. Once the pin is out, you'll have to jig the receiver in a press (oh...you'll need the jig by the way ;) ), and using bronze rods, drive the barrel forward out of the extension. For that, you'll need a fairly heavy-duty hydraulic press. I won't go through every last detail on removing/reinstalling a barrel in an HK91 style rifle as that info is usually enough to scare off the basement gunsmith.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and head over to HKPro and have a good, long, hard read through more information than you could ever want or need about doing what it is you propose to do. Or, if you'd rather read here, have a look at some of the lengthy info I've posted on "accurizing" or otherwise working on HK roller-lock pattern rifles/carbines. It isn't even close to worth your time or your money...PERIOD! You can spend thousands of dollars and at best, on a good day, still end up with a ~1MOA shooter short of going all-out with something like an IGF/RDTS/etc. PSG-1 or MSG-90A1 clone.

The "free-floating" is essentially the same story, but you should know that the later model G3 and the HK91 rifles are technically considered to have "free-floating barrels" because there is a very small gap (1-2mm...I know) between the cocking tube and the tripleframe. Because the forend/hanguard attaches to the cocking tube and technically, in a perfect world, doesn't touch the barrel, its considered free-floating. If you want "more" free-floating, then you'll have to do a conversion like an MSG-90/PSG-1 which uses a considerably different mounting setup (trunnion, cocking tube, and a specialty handguard itself). Just in parts alone for the barrel swap and handguard/trunnion/cocking tube/etc. conversion, you can quickly and easily get yourself into the ~$2k range without batting an eye.

Simply put, if you want an accurate, reliable, semi-auto .308 (or similar class) rifle, start with any number of different AR-platforms and skip the HK, leaving it well enough alone as an outstanding, reliable, M.O.M.-capable battle rifle. They are holes in the gunsafe that you throw money into and never see results that can otherwise be obtained for a mere fraction of the cost, headache, time, etc. and built in your basement with a minimum of tools/expense (i.e. - any large-frame AR). You can get a factory fresh sub-MOA shooter with a large-frame AR for ~$1800 or less ready to go (minus optics/mount/etc.) or you can build and have it done your way with precisely the parts/etc. you want right out of the gate.

Ok...sorry...I'm done being a downer today. ;)

Good luck and God speed!

ORD, first I would like to thank you for the detailed input on my quest. It is really very educating and helpful, at least for me.

The truth is that I found this forum accidentally because I wanted answers.

I don't know if I get......sucked into the roller-lock whirlwind and never to been heard again....only the God knows, but as a law enforcement sniper I wish to stay.

Thank you again for the answer you provided, and excuse my spelling because it is not my birth language.

Look also at RobertRTG he has PSG1 Match barrels in 556 and 308 in stock for $595, match grade, fluted chambers and nitrided

ORD, first I would like to thank you for the detailed input on my quest. It is really very educating and helpful, at least for me.

The truth is that I found this forum accidentally because I wanted answers.

I don't know if I get......sucked into the roller-lock whirlwind and never to been heard again....only the God knows, but as a law enforcement sniper I wish to stay.

Thank you again for the answer you provided, and excuse my spelling because it is not my birth language.

Its more a "joke" than anything re: the whirlwind/vortex of death/etc. with the HK rifles. They are truly excellent in every respect, BUT...they have a LOT of pitfalls, especially when it comes to the absurdity of costs of parts/work done on them/etc., as well as trying to get them to be phenomenally accurate rifles which they were NEVER designed to be. Hell, even the PSG-1, while an incredible piece of engineering and a very capable rifle, isn't really up to the challenge of what can be accomplished with relative ease and a considerably lower pricetag with a large-frame AR of good quality. I see a lot of people being "sucked in" to the a allure of the HK platform and trying to invest a small fortune and a wealth of time and energy to obtain results that never arrive. While much can be done to make the HKs shoot exceptionally well, it is a lot to get sucked into if you aren't fully aware of what it is you are getting into in the first place and having that knowledge before you proceed with your plans.

Look also at RobertRTG he has PSG1 Match barrels in 556 and 308 in stock for $595, match grade, fluted chambers and nitrided

I always forget about Robert stocking "upgrade" parts/accessories like that barrel.

If I remember correctly, those are Douglas blanks but don't quote me on that (Robert can confirm/deny that I'm sure). They are nice barrels for a really excellent price point compared to others on the market (when you can find them).

Just remember...it isn't just about the barrel that potentially makes an HK "more accurate," but in all the other work that is really required to squeeze the most out of the platform (i.e. - welding of T-rails to strengthen/reinforce the receiver; the longer/heavier-duty PGS/MSG trunnions; etc.). Just pressing out the old G3 barrel and pressing in a new "match" barrel, while certainly an "upgrade" won't necessarily give you "match" quality results at the end of the day. Lots going into the accuracy equation with any HK/roller-lock type built.

Ill make it short and simple got a ptr 91 shoots 3.5 inch groups at 630 yards all day, im happy. swapping barrels you need a barrel press. unless you got some cash to throw around i would get a psg1 barrel from hkparts and get someone who knows what their doing to do it. I think why people cant shoot good with them because of the trigger and mostly their scared of the rifle be calm and let the machine do the work and as much as possible dont let the human body interfere with the gun other than a steady smooth trigger pull

Ill make it short and simple got a ptr 91 shoots 3.5 inch groups at 630 yards all day, im happy.

You should be happy! A ~1/2MOA PTR-91...hell...with luck like that in your corner you should be out buying a PowerBall ticket this instant and upon winning later this week, retiring to somewhere sunny with your own private shooting range and a range bunny to carry all your gear/ammo for you (among other things of course)!! ;)

Joking aside...if you truly have a PTR performing that well (well beyond even what a $12k PSG-1 was ever capable of doing), that is by far, in my experience with dozens of PTR and JLD rifles over the years along side some of the finest HKs and Clones made, the exception and NOT the rule for HK accuracy. Even with a competent shooter, a good trigger job and a decent optic/mount and match ammo/reloads, 1.5MOA is by far the level of performance one should expect (short of one of the "upgraded" models like the MSG or SS series rifles).

Ill make it short and simple got a ptr 91 shoots 3.5 inch groups at 630 yards all day, im happy. swapping barrels you need a barrel press. unless you got some cash to throw around i would get a psg1 barrel from hkparts and get someone who knows what their doing to do it. I think why people cant shoot good with them because of the trigger and mostly their scared of the rifle be calm and let the machine do the work and as much as possible dont let the human body interfere with the gun other than a steady smooth trigger pull

Don't own a psg-1 or clone, but owned a HK770 and really enjoyed the action. Built like a tank.

That's some nice shooting, are you using hand loads?

Last edited:
I love my G3 clone, but all it will ever be is an awesome battle rifle capable of 200yd body doa accuracy. ORD is right that even the PSG-1 and the MSG90 were never much better than 1moa rifles and cost a forture if you can find one. Your money is better spent on a different platform.
G3a.jpg

Last edited:
I just LOVE my G3. It rocks. My boy is getting better at shooting it. The recoil and blast is still a little overwhelming to him. However, I love it. If I can hit 1 MOA with it, I'm doing pretty damn good. Here's my boy last Thursday.

23magkn.jpg

while walking to our targers plus some aluminum cans and clay pigeons which we pack out, we ran into this beauty. Snapped a picture and gave him plenty of room. He did us a favor and rattled before we got to him. My daughter walked right up to him, never seeing him. Good thing our ear plugs were out too.
166uf9.jpg

HK G3 match grade barrel

You should be happy! A ~1/2MOA PTR-91...hell...with luck like that in your corner you should be out buying a PowerBall ticket this instant and upon winning later this week, retiring to somewhere sunny with your own private shooting range and a range bunny to carry all your gear/ammo for you (among other things of course)!! ;)

Joking aside...if you truly have a PTR performing that well (well beyond even what a $12k PSG-1 was ever capable of doing), that is by far, in my experience with dozens of PTR and JLD rifles over the years along side some of the finest HKs and Clones made, the exception and NOT the rule for HK accuracy. Even with a competent shooter, a good trigger job and a decent optic/mount and match ammo/reloads, 1.5MOA is by far the level of performance one should expect (short of one of the "upgraded" models like the MSG or SS series rifles).

You should really look at holescreek's build as far as accuracy.

-----------------------

Holescreek-
Been awful quiet here lately, I keep checking in to see what kind of builds are going on and mostly hear crickets chirping.

I started breaking in my barrel the week after I posted the photos, so far I have about 100 rounds of Tula 150 gr steel cased ammo through it. I really like this ammo, it's some of the best I've ever shot. I just picked up another 400 rounds of it to start shooting in my other .308s. Here is the best group I've been able to shoot so far. The next best group was shot the same day and was about 1/2". I had to do some adjustments to the trigger pack to get the groups to tighten up some, my best group before was about 1 1/4" (all at 100 yards).

qeqese9a.jpg
da3utyvy.jpg

Sent via toaster oven.

Last edited: