• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK USP

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I have HK USP 9mm w Threaded bbl. It has never had hiccup with suppressor on or off. I had the 45 version and never had an issue there either. This design has been out 30 plus years. Is the USP line obselete? Or am I just biased towards them because of my experience with them?? Debating on getting the Expert in 9mm. Thks!!

I think the USP continues to be one of the most reliable, and best designed pistols of all time. There have certainly been some advancements (standardizing rails, better mag capacity, etc) but you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't run.

Buy and shoot what you like and if you want to find others who love the platform, check out HK Pro Forums

Oh god you've somehow resurrected the ridiculous previous USP obsolescence thread.

That being said, I don't see the USP being my first choice for anything today and what HK sells them for new is pretty exorbitant. Buy what you want, but don't discount other options out of lack of experience. Gun technology did progress after the 90s after all.

It's probably my only plastic gun I feel has "pride of ownership".

20240223_093757.jpg

Reactions: Jigstick
Yeah...I see sticks and stones being thrown here in a few more posts. Can't appreciate a handgun or optic without somebody "moterfuckin" you from the comfort of their cell phone while they're taking a shit.

I bought a LNIB USP 40 a few years ago when everyone jumped ship for the 9mm again. Paid a whopping $407 for it. I still consider it to be one of the better buys I've made in cost/performance. I don't carry it, but I enjoy shooting it from time to time.

There are striker fired pistols with fantastic service records these days. They are just as impressive as the USP. *And here is where someone will finish passing that last kernel of corn and start motherfuckin me*.

I have HK USP 9mm w Threaded bbl. It has never had hiccup with suppressor on or off. I had the 45 version and never had an issue there either. This design has been out 30 plus years. Is the USP line obselete? Or am I just biased towards them because of my experience with them?? Debating on getting the Expert in 9mm. Thks!!

A quick search would have shown a whole long crazy thread on the same thing.

Here is the TLDR since that's probably what you are wanting.

USP line works well.
USP is a nice old classic kind of like the H&K equivalent of a 1911
Lots of folks like them for nostalgia and collectibility.

If you like that design and want another to complete your set, go for it, no problem.

There are more modern designs that H&K has put out such as the P30, VP9, HK45 that address various ergonomics and trigger options and optics and other options.

The USP line is better suited to if you like it "As Is" and run it just as it came from the factory.

If you start thinking about lots of mods and this and that, get a newer one.

Prices have gone up on it so it's not as great a deal as they once were.

For me if I wanted H&K in a hammer fired, I'd be getting the P30LS and if I wanted the striker fired and optics, I'd be going with some of the Match/Tactical VP9 models.

I been running the USP compact in 9mm for 20 years and have never had an issue.

Last edited:
Surely there isn't anything wrong with the USP pistols- they're reliable, built of quality parts, and accurate enough for what they were designed to be. But if you've already owned two, you likely already know that. My experience is with the USP standard & compact models (nothing of value to add with the expert offering you're looking at unfortunately) but I believe HK subsequently released two models/generations marketed to have 'updated' the USP lineage with the P2000 & P30/HK45 (depending on caliber) and that likely took some of the popularity out of the USP as the market chased the "latest & greatest" but if you're fine with what the USP still brings to the table for meeting your purposes and the other models don't add any value to you then the USP is every bit as current as you need it to be. There must be enough demand even today for them that HK is still offering it in their product line.

Just as an analogy, Glock is now on their 5th generation with minimal changes to their original design from the 1st GEN from almost 40 years ago and a lot of 'Glock aficionados' still prefer the previous generations from the new "hotness" but all the gun rags are talking about the new product line because that's what their advertisers want and what draws in the eyeballs . As for me, the ambi slide stop, marksmen barrel, omitting finger grooves, and new finish doesn't add any features that have any particular interest to me from GEN 1-4 and in some ways introduces some properties I'd prefer to avoid so I stick with the Gen 3 & 4's and I'd still consider them to be every bit as current in pistol technology as the Gen 5's. Sometimes the updates that roll out are more aligned with being described as mainly 'different' than as quantifiable 'improvements'. So if the USP still checks the boxes for you then by all means, I'd say rock out with your socks out.

-LD

Reactions: fiveoshooter
The only downside to the USP at this point is the cost and relative scarcity of getting the slides milled for a RMR/RCR/ACRO. The HK USP is still a workhorse.
My feeling exactly. Also wish they would have updated to the Glock or pic rail so I could run a X300 without an adapter.
Plus no real good optics ready Safariland 6xxx holsters and it’s a pain to get spare parts compared to your Glock / P320 / CZ / 1911-2011 / etc
7 years ago when RMRs started showing up on pistols I tried and couldn’t find anyone who was willing to mill the slide so I went with the Gen 5 Glock because I knew parts and supports wouldn’t be an issue and it’s easy to find a premilled slide or milling service.

My feeling exactly. Also wish they would have updated to the Glock or pic rail so I could run a X300 without an adapter.
Plus no real good optics ready Safariland 6xxx holsters and it’s a pain to get spare parts compared to your Glock / P320 / CZ / 1911-2011 / etc
7 years ago when RMRs started showing up on pistols I tried and couldn’t find anyone who was willing to mill the slide so I went with the Gen 5 Glock because I knew parts and supports wouldn’t be an issue and it’s easy to find a premilled slide or milling service.

You didn’t look hard enough cuhhh.

Have a 6360 for my P30L with SRO and TLR-1HL.

The USP has a great reputation but I prefer the ergonomic of the HK45 and P30. The reliability of my P30 has been amazing.

Does anyone else remember HK magazines being prohibitively expensive up until recently? I didn't mention that as a flaw but figured this is as relevant of a question to this question. It could just be my memory is fading but when I purchased the HK45, I want to say the mags cost $80 at the time around 2010. They seem to be just about half that price now but wanted to make sure I wasn't stroking out and/or having a "Mandela Effect" moment. I also seem to remember the 12 round 45acp magazines for the standard USP being around $100-120 but that would have been a few years after the 2004 ban sunset too so maybe that factors into what I remember.

-LD

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember HK magazines being prohibitively expensive up until recently? I didn't mention that as a flaw but figured this is as relevant of a question to this discussion. It could just be my memory is fading but when I purchased the HK45, I want to say the mags cost $80 at the time around 2010. They seem to be just about half that price now but wanted to make sure I wasn't stroking out and/or having a "Mandela Effect" moment. I also seem to remember the 12 round 45acp magazines for the standard USP being around $100-120 but that would have been a few years after the 2004 ban sunset too so maybe that factors into what I remember.

-LD
Mk23 mags have been pricey before, but I don't recall USP mags over $60 at any point and sometime in the mid 2010s I paid ~$25/mag new.

They did that, but it's called the HK45. 🤮

Mk23 mags have been pricey before, but I don't recall USP mags over $60 at any point and sometime in the mid 2010s I paid ~$25/mag new.

They did that, but it's called the HK45. 🤮
Appreciate you keeping me in check- prior to 2004 if I remember that even correctly, standard capacity magazines were stupid expensive because they were restricted since... around 1994 I think. I also wanted to say so as I alluded to- I very well may be getting my memory/wires crossed but for the life of me I distinctly remember paying $80 a mag for the HK45 in 2010. That price just seems so vivid to me because I hardly had two nickels to rub together but think I remember the exact time & place I bought to HK45 mags and they were $160 plus tax. I'm likely confusing myself though but I don't remember HK mags dropping in price until the past 5 years or so. Good discussion regardless and OP- buy that HK.

-LD

I wasn’t buying guns until after the AWB sunset, so I can’t speak Clinton-era prices.

I wasn’t buying guns until after the AWB sunset, so I can’t speak Clinton-era prices.
All I can say about that was it was a wild time- I'm sure you've seen some semblance of what occurred with future presidents but the ban really made prices crazy from what I remember because, if I recall correctly at least, it wasn't just the sale but the manufacturing of standard capacity magazines that were impacted and they were like hen's teeth. I can only imagine what the prices would have been if eBay and the equivalent were going on then. I also seem to recall ProMag being one of the predominant manufacturers that were available after the AWB sunset and don't recall them being of any higher (or lower to be fair) quality than their current products today. But this is just me reminiscing at this point and causing a thread drift. My sincere apologies to the OP for that and will stop now to get back on the original USP topic.

-LD

Reactions: TheOE800