• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon discontinued H50BMG!

ScottYo308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
I saw this on FB and confirmed with Hodgdon this morning. They basically said that they dont sell enough of it to justify the support and shipping.

just passing this info along.

Reactions: bbhank
If the ELR continues as it is they will have to possible pick it back up, or someone will fill that void

Hi,

The 50 market/genre is way larger than the ELR market/genre, so if the 50 market is not sufficient for them to manufacture that powder, the ELR market is not going to be able to step in with enough demand to change their minds IMO.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: flyfisher117
Hi,

The 50 market/genre is way larger than the ELR market/genre, so if the 50 market is not sufficient for them to manufacture that powder, the ELR market is not going to be able to step in with enough demand to change their minds IMO.

Sincerely,
Theis

Whats the go to powder for the 418's and 375's

Whats the go to powder for the 418's and 375's

Hi,
That is just it...there really is no "go to" powder for them...getting users to agree on powder is harder than getting them to agree on projectile but the more commonly used powders are:

375:
Retumbo
RL33
VV24N41

416B:
RL50
VV20N29
US869

And others......
Too bad Hodgdon is deciding to stop production of the H50 but if you look at it from pure manufacturing sense it evidently is a decision they think is best for their company. You figure it takes the same production time of bottling, labeling, boxing, etc of one of their more popular powders as it does with H50 and they clearly need that production time for the more popular powder(s).

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I think you may still be able to get it another way. If I recall correctly H50BMG is actually made in Australia and inported into the USA by Hodgdon as H50BMG along with many other ADI powders
Here’s a list of ADI to Hodgdon Powder equivalents from this site Hodgdon Equivalents for ADI Product Codes

AS30N=Clays
AP50N = (No Hodgdon)
AS50N = International
AP70N = Universal
AP100 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2205 = H4227
AR2207 = H4198
AR2219 = H322
Bench Mark1 = (No Hodgdon)
Bench Mark2 = BenchMark
AR2206 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2206H = H4895
AR2208 = Varget
AR2209 = H4350
AR2213 = (Discontinued)
AR2213SC = H4831
AR2217 = H1000
AR2225 = Retumbo
AR2218 = H50BMG

As long as Reloder 50 is available we'll be all right.
I have a pet load for the 750 Amax with the H50, but the Reloder shoots just as well.

more 50 bmg friendly gun ranges they wouldn't have demand issue. Complaining from other shooters ban 50bmg

As long as Reloder 50 is available we'll be all right.
I have a pet load for the 750 Amax with the H50, but the Reloder shoots just as well.

...and VV20N29 is still available. I have no experience with it but it used to be popular with the FCSA benchrest people, not sure if it still is.

Well fuck. Planned on using H50 for the bolt gun when I can get my shit back together and find a place to shoot it. I have tons of the US869 for loading belted ammo though. Not sure how much H50 I have.

Viht makes a good .50 powder but it's costly. Very costly. But may have to go to that for the bolt gun, we'll see.

There's always 20mm powder by the keg cheap but it varies worse than anything in a bottle.

I really need to get some data and start loading, just finding a place to do that is a pain in the ass. Should have aimed at a big dirt pile in a vacant lot during the 4th and just played stupid. What big bang? Heard a lot of 'em!

I was at Shot Show in 2019 and talked with the Hodgdon Rep's the 1st day and he said that they were concerned about how much 50 BMG they were selling. So I went back the last day of Shot and they had so many people come by and ask about 50 BMG that they saw there was still need for the powder. As we all know with ELR shooting on the up tick 50 BMG is more popular then ever. Hell I have 26 pounds myself